Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, here's the plan

Posted by rkj 
rkj
January 09, 2010 11:28AM
Janet keeps mentioning she would like to see the states (and Canada) in a camper smiling smiley. After drooling and wishing for quite a few years over every other rig we see, I think (think would be the big word here) we have decided on a camper of choice. It was not an easy choice but lately we have been doing a fair amount of tripping on the motorcycle and I think she is starting to see the beauty in traveling light!

Anyway, right now we are both leaning toward a VW euro van, late 90's or so. I think (doing a lot of thinking but will go further soon) It would be easy on gas and be fun to drive and have just enough room for a spartan camper if we choose to sleep in it and cook light meals, it would need a portable poty thingy but I'm a cleaver builder that, I'm sure, could make a nifty little set-up. I plan to have a canvas tarp thing I could snap in place off one of the doors to make a shady spot for out doors.

My question is this, has anybody had, or know anyone who has one of these eurovans, are they a good unit, something worth setting up and then setting out in/on? (I'm thinking of pulling a very small light trailer too, with a small light bike, an option not cast in stone)

Thanks, and Regards, Rick
January 09, 2010 05:42PM
As romantic as the notion of camping in a van/motorhome is, I can't help but wonder if it isn't more convenient to use a regular car and then check into a motel at night for a hot shower and a good night's sleep? At least you don't have to fool around with unloading the honey tank every night........

alan
rkj
January 09, 2010 05:55PM
alanrw
As romantic as the notion of camping in a van/motorhome is, I can't help but wonder if it isn't more convenient to use a regular car and then check into a motel at night for a hot shower and a good night's sleep? At least you don't have to fool around with unloading the honey tank every night........

alan

Hey Alan
I know, I've had a few small boats with those dam potajohns (they must make a better unit these days!

I agree with you (sometimes we will check in for a shower and such) but its all about the adventure for us, being on the road can be a place where special shit happens... and there will be more room than the bike winking smiley

Thanks, Rick
January 09, 2010 11:49PM
rkj
place where special shit happens...

I know that when I travel, special shit happens... I think it has to do with the change in diet, especially if I travel south of the border...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
January 10, 2010 12:17AM
LOL, at Yosemite Park, they have a demo explaining the danger of leaving food in your car as bears will break into you car. To illustrate the point, they have a car door from a Nissan that was peeled off the car by a bear. A car door to a bear is like a beer can to a human from a "resistance to distortion" point of view.

Now that is some special s$@!!!!.

alan
January 10, 2010 09:38AM
rkj
My question is this, has anybody had, or know anyone who has one of these eurovans, are they a good unit, something worth setting up and then setting out in/on? (I'm thinking of pulling a very small light trailer too, with a small light bike, an option not cast in stone)

I have a buddy who flat-tows his rally car to events with his VW Westfalia van. He packs all his spare parts and tools into the van, then unloads it all when they get there. He saves on restaurant and hotel expenses by sleeping and cooking in the van. He loves his van.

January 10, 2010 01:04PM
Used to have such a VW (T3 model, 1.6 turbodiesel but I swapped the damaged engine with the intercooled version of a Golf/Rabbit), not the camper but the double cab version. Lovely piece of machinery (real easy mechanics).

I'd go for a T4 Westfalia diesel, consumes a lot less and has a good bottom end torque. Stay away from the 2.4's, go for a 2.5. 1.9's need their engine replaced more often, as they are more stressed.
January 12, 2010 05:27PM
rkj

Thanks, and Regards, Rick

I have a friend who lives in a Eurovan camper. For a while he had a female companion and a dog in there too. He hauls almost everything he owns around in it. He's been doing this for years and I've only ever heard of a few times when it needed work. I'd say it's a pretty reliable vehicle.

John
January 13, 2010 07:09PM
I love VW vans!! Eventually I would love to get one with the camper on top.
rkj
January 14, 2010 10:54AM
Yeah, I think its time to start driving a few and see first hand what these newer VW vans are like. Thank you so much for all the feedback, very appreciated smileys with beer

Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login