Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A normal storm- white I hope thumbs up

Posted by rkj 
rkj
December 19, 2009 12:52PM
You can always tell (almost always) when a storm is brewing out here on the end of the Island; the day before the winds are still, the sky looks ominous and the barometer starts heading down (usually after a good high reading), and down.....down some more until it starts snowing and the winds gradually pick up and then the snow starts in earnest and the winds push it sideways.... and then before you know it you're in a good old fashion, not a bomb but a steady, windy snow that should give a good foot or so.... thumbs up usually these storms make fluffy light snow that's just good fun (not in my car though), so I've got Janet's car in front (with winter tires) and all ready to go after the plows come through hot smiley I hope its a big one- things need to stop for a few days! Should be a fine start to a winter season loaded with white stuff!

A full load of wood for the stove and a few things in the fridge, I'm making cookies later if anyone wants to stop by... hmmm, hear that wind? wow, could be a wild night! Cab, you might be getting some of this too.

Cheers, Rick
December 19, 2009 03:45PM
Well, it was 78 here in Southern California today. I would love to stop in for cookies, but the airports are all shut down!!!!

alan
rkj
December 19, 2009 06:40PM
Okay Alan, but you're missing some good cookies. My oatmeal (made with pastry whole wheat flour) chocolate chip (small semi sweet) cookies is a recipe I've been honing for many years!
December 19, 2009 07:16PM
rkj
You can always tell (almost always) when a storm is brewing out here on the end of the Island; the day before the winds are still, the sky looks ominous and the barometer starts heading down (usually after a good high reading), and down.....down some more until it starts snowing and the winds gradually pick up and then the snow starts in earnest and the winds push it sideways.... and then before you know it you're in a good old fashion, not a bomb but a steady, windy snow that should give a good foot or so.... thumbs up usually these storms make fluffy light snow that's just good fun (not in my car though), so I've got Janet's car in front (with winter tires) and all ready to go after the plows come through hot smiley I hope its a big one- things need to stop for a few days! Should be a fine start to a winter season loaded with white stuff!

A full load of wood for the stove and a few things in the fridge, I'm making cookies later if anyone wants to stop by... hmmm, hear that wind? wow, could be a wild night! Cab, you might be getting some of this too.

Cheers, Rick

Wanna iX?

I think it would get a lot more, and appropriate use from you than me. winking smiley
rkj
December 19, 2009 08:22PM
I think that would be the best rig for out here Peter, especially a night like this thumbs up man, its howling out there, and the snow is keeping up strong.... cool smiling smiley

Janet went out and got stuck at the entrance to the driveway, I got her in though!

We have a foot or so already and it's powder and very slippery.

I have to laugh, today, doing some errands, there was a few inches on the road already and it Was slippery. You'd think people would slow down and take care to feel things out some.... you'd be wrong though confused smiley stupid americans with shit tires, I was glad to pull in to the driveway and get away from amateursville eye rolling smiley
December 19, 2009 10:49PM
Hands down, the best car in the snow is a VW bug with tire chains. You can climb up the side of a building with that setup.

alan
December 20, 2009 07:41AM
rkj
I think that would be the best rig for out here Peter, especially a night like this thumbs up man, its howling out there, and the snow is keeping up strong.... cool smiling smiley

Janet went out and got stuck at the entrance to the driveway, I got her in though!

We have a foot or so already and it's powder and very slippery.

Pishah! the iX laughs at one foot of snow winking smiley

I have to laugh, today, doing some errands, there was a few inches on the road already and it Was slippery. You'd think people would slow down and take care to feel things out some.... you'd be wrong though confused smiley stupid americans with shit tires, I was glad to pull in to the driveway and get away from amateursville eye rolling smiley

I have a feeling it is just Americans who generally don't know how to drive in the snow. With our 1" of snow earlier in the week, there were hundreds of accidents; all caused by people who don't have the proper equipment nor the experience and skills to drive.
Even with the iX, I am very careful to stay tuned to the road conditions and the feel of what the car is telling me ... BEFORE I get in trouble grinning smiley
December 20, 2009 09:05AM
We're getting some, but not as much as predicted. So far only about 3-4 inches, but it's still coming down. We're just hanging out, have Xmas music playing, and finishing up the house decorations. Have nowhere to be or shopping to do, so we'll just enjoy it. Probably get the kiddo in her snowsuit pretty soon and go out for some snow angels. hot smiley

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
December 20, 2009 10:56AM
Sadly, up here in Vermont where could actually use the snow, we got almost nothing -- just a few flurries this morning amounting to less than an inch. Still, I had a good day skiing, and driving the iX over the snow-packed roads over the mountains. I've had this car for several years now and it still amazes me how crazy good this car is in snow, especially with good winter tires (studded Hakkapeliitta 4 in my case).

On a day like this where I had the road mostly to myself, it was almost as much fun driving to the mountain as skiing. smiling smiley

This is the road I get to drive: Route 17 The map doesn't show the steepness going up one side of the mountain and down the other, but it's steep too. smiling smiley

December 20, 2009 02:25PM
Well, its door handle high and a nice day of R&R for both of us. A snow storm is the greatest way of stopping all the action so people can catch their breath smiling smiley

[i200.photobucket.com]

we got a decent foot or so
December 20, 2009 03:04PM
rkj
Well, its door handle high and a nice day of R&R for both of us. A snow storm is the greatest way of stopping all the action so people can catch their breath smiling smiley

[i200.photobucket.com]

we got a decent foot or so

Cool(pun intended) but I'll let you keep it grinning smiley

I catch my breath every time I stop doing what made me out of breath winking smiley
rkj
December 21, 2009 03:05PM
Well, today was shoveling day and we did get a little more snow than I thought, 18-25 inches, which is rare around here smiling smiley and it looks like a white Christmas so far....cool. I've got drifts up to four feet or so and driving around today it looked so great; huge drifts, wind blown. I love this stuff!

I think its time for a four wheel device (atv?) to have fun on while the motorcycles take a short winters nap..
December 21, 2009 03:14PM
rkj
Well, today was shoveling day and we did get a little more snow than I thought, 18-25 inches, which is rare around here smiling smiley and it looks like a white Christmas so far....cool. I've got drifts up to four feet or so and driving around today it looked so great; huge drifts, wind blown. I love this stuff!

I think its time for a four wheel device (atv?) to have fun on while the motorcycles take a short winters nap..

With that much snow you would need a good snowmobile! I think we are gonna get hit again tomorrow.
December 21, 2009 06:09PM
rkj

Forget the ATV, you want to buy my iX grinning smiley
December 21, 2009 06:09PM
wodcutr
rkj

With that much snow you would need a good snowmobile! I think we are gonna get hit again tomorrow.

iX = snowmobile smileys with beer
rkj
December 21, 2009 07:47PM
I want a two wheel fishtail machine, for the time being it'll have to be my 325is grinning smiley but the minute I'm gainfully employed I'm getting a smaller version smiling smiley
December 22, 2009 07:08PM
rkj
I want a two wheel fishtail machine, for the time being it'll have to be my 325is grinning smiley but the minute I'm gainfully employed I'm getting a smaller version smiling smiley

Rick,

You have got to start using the
'reply' or 'quote' buttons so we know who you are responding to smiling smileyo
rkj
December 24, 2009 02:01PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

Rick,

Sorry, I keep forgetting not everybody can read minds..... what's wrong with you people winking smiley
December 24, 2009 07:24PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

Rick,

Sorry, I keep forgetting not everybody can read minds..... what's wrong with you people winking smiley

All the saw dust is making my ESP capabilities sort of..er..dusty winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login