Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another camera question B)

Posted by rkj 
rkj
December 12, 2009 12:24PM
For cleaning lenses on a camera, which you have to do out here often, I know one needs a special cleaning thingy that won't hurt the coating on the lens itself. I bought several types of cleaning pads and cloths; Zeiss lens cloth's are pre-moistened and is what I've been using for the last few years but you have to go with a dry cloth after for the water spots and I thought maybe a chamois type cloth would be a better choice.

I know a few of you guys are in to cameras, what do you use? and how, please.

Cheers, Rick
December 12, 2009 01:24PM
Safest thing is lens paper. I have seen a product that is premoistened specifically for lens and the stuff dries really fast and won't streak. It comes in individual wrapped packets.

alan
rkj
December 12, 2009 02:11PM
alanrw
Safest thing is lens paper. I have seen a product that is premoistened specifically for lens and the stuff dries really fast and won't streak. It comes in individual wrapped packets.

alan

Any idea who makes them?, the Zeiss packets are like that too but the first 4-5 times they're so wet they leave wet marks if you don't follow it up with a dry rag (which I hate putting on a lens).

When I got my Sony Mavica they sent a chamois cloth in the bag for the led screen, very soft and works very well on the screens but I wonder if I really want to use it on a lens (I never thought so). My Dad used to use sight savers on his glass' and he sore by them. They were a dry tissue sheets but here again, on a lens?

For the last few years I've been using those Zeiss things then drying off with a soft towel, not the best but it's all I came up with. Of course after the towel I have lint so a blow usually does that clean up.
December 12, 2009 05:39PM
Don't use a chamois, they often still contain some kind of crystalline structures which can scratch the coatings.

I simply use the little clothes the optometrist gave me to clean my eyeglasses smileys with beer
rkj
December 12, 2009 06:12PM
Archeo-peteriX
Don't use a chamois, they often still contain some kind of crystalline structures which can scratch the coatings.

I simply use the little clothes the optometrist gave me to clean my eyeglasses smileys with beer

Is that a micro fiber like cloth Peter?
December 12, 2009 07:49PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

I'm not sure but they look and feel like silk/satin. There is nothing impregnated in them and they leave no lint...I guess they could be a microfiber cloth.
rkj
December 12, 2009 08:48PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

I'm not sure but they look and feel like silk/satin. There is nothing impregnated in them and they leave no lint...I guess they could be a microfiber cloth.

Okay, I'll give that shot. Out here mildew, spider poop and all kinds of crap gets on my lenses :X
December 13, 2009 07:44AM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Okay, I'll give that shot. Out here mildew, spider poop and all kinds of crap gets on my lenses :X

Sounds like you're spending too much time composing your shots winking smiley
rkj
December 13, 2009 12:00PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

What? did some one call me.... I'll be right there, just setting up a shot!
December 13, 2009 02:21PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Did you get any fungus or spider poop on you? grinning smiley

What? did some one call me.... I'll be right there, just setting up a shot!
rkj
December 15, 2009 12:42PM
Are you talkin to me?
December 15, 2009 06:23PM
rkj
Are you talkin to me?

Who? confused smiley
December 16, 2009 10:46AM
alanrw
+1 on the lens paper. That's what I use.

December 16, 2009 12:38PM
Dave_G
alanrw
+1 on the lens paper. That's what I use.

Please let me know a brand name that you have used and like..... please
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login