Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Camera for the Miss'

Posted by rkj 
rkj
November 21, 2009 10:10AM
Last year I bought Janet a digital camera (her first one), this one in fact;

[cgi.ebay.com]

Its just a point and shoot, although it does have a manual mode I think, but for a person that loves to take pictures and that's just starting out with her own computer (I gave her my old IBM laptop, P3 though) I thought this would be the perfect camera for her....

Well, she lost it a few Months down the road, she swears someone stole it but nevermind..... So her birthday is coming up and I'm wondering if I should do a repeat performance or buy something better- I can't afford much more money but I thought you camera guys might have some input here.

I liked the size and it seemed to take nice pictures, and Nikon always spoke to me as a good item, but maybe these are just cheap new things that are not really good....?

Anyway, I'd be interested in what you guys have to say. Getting her away from 35mm and doing the computer thing together was getting to be a fun thing for us, I'd like to continue that smiling smiley
rkj
November 21, 2009 10:20AM
I thought this might be good too

[www.walmart.com]

It has to have the battery I like, and the sd card of course.
rkj
November 21, 2009 10:23AM
rkj

[www.walmart.com]

Thai one got really bad reviews, picture quality was off. Nevermind!
November 21, 2009 11:16AM
rkj
rkj

[www.walmart.com]

Thai one got really bad reviews, picture quality was off. Nevermind!

What reviews did you read?

There are only a couple of online review sites that are worth looking at...
[www.dpreview.com]
[www.imaging-resource.com]

Both of these sites are professional and tell it like it is.

The S210 seems to be a capable little camera and gives good value for the money. You'd be hard put to beat this one in the same category.
rkj
November 21, 2009 03:43PM
Thanks Peter, yes, that first one I did buy (S210) did have good reviews and took what I thought good pictures. That second one I was looking at (S220 from walmart) did not get good reviews but I'll do a little more checking on that one too. The fella I've been building for, for the last ten years gave me a small Pentax similar to the nikon I bought janet- being so small, and a good zoom, you really do not intimidate people so taking great candid shots is easy.

I like being invisible, spent a lifetime working at it!

Rick
November 22, 2009 02:55PM
As much as I love Nikon, their compact point and shoots are garbage. Canon wins in this department.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

also, this week is black friday week. if i see any good discounts online for these i'll post them here.

November 22, 2009 05:22PM
daniel
As much as I love Nikon, their compact point and shoots are garbage. Canon wins in this department.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

also, this week is black friday week. if i see any good discounts online for these i'll post them here.

I don't disagree that many of Nikon's lower end PandS cameras are less than stellar performers but for the prices, they are pretty hard to beat. It has been some time since Nikon bult a Coolpix that could even rival the older ones; especially the ones with the articulated heads like the 900 series and one or two of the 4xxxseries.

I have the Canon Power Shot A720iS and it blew away the Nikon S10. My old Nikon Coolpix 950; even at 2 megapixels; still outperforms the Canon in optics and macro capbility. The old Nikon also doesn't have any higher ISO rating than 100 so it can't automatically take horrible grainy pictures in poor light. The Canon will automatically adjust up to 3200 ISO in auto mode if you don't control it sad smiley

The biggest plus for this Canon is the Image Stability and wide range of preset exposure options. It takes excellent outdoor pictures smiling smiley
rkj
November 22, 2009 06:55PM
Thanks Daniel and Peter- now we're gettin somewhere smiling smiley
November 23, 2009 12:00AM
no problem rick.

panasonic has also been on a roll when it comes to making digital cameras. you can't really go wrong with a panasonic lumix or a canon these days. sony point and shoots are good too, although typically priced a little higher and may not have the same feature-set (while being much more stylish, though!).

here is a more pocketable one (about the same size as the canons i posted above)
[www.amazon.com]

and a compact one with a big zoom
[www.amazon.com]

rkj
November 26, 2009 07:36PM
I got this one [www.walmart.com] I feel like a bad person ordering from these guys but 50-60 bucks is 50-60 bucks smiling smiley

It got great reviews and has all the right stuff; battery and SD card. For a person so in love with taking pictures she should like this one and hopefully really like the digital format flexibility...

Thanks Guys- you're the best smileys with beer

Rick
November 27, 2009 03:56PM
I've always found the product ratings on PCworld to be accurate and helpful. I would say, just buy whatever one is on top of the chart winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login