Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New program on TV

Posted by rkj 
rkj
November 13, 2009 01:24PM
So lately, if possible, I try to catch the doctor Oz show. I like this guy and the things you can learn!

Monday he's going to have cell phones as a topic, I'd be interested what you guys think. It's a channel five (uck***spit) show so it should be able to be accessed on the net if 3 in the afternoon isn't a good time for you.

I try not to use these damned things but they're so handy its hard not to- does anybody know if there is a cell phone that isn't dangerous, or ones that particularly are?

Ever on the path to truth and justice, Rick
November 13, 2009 01:43PM
rkj
I try not to use these damned things but they're so handy its hard not to- does anybody know if there is a cell phone that isn't dangerous, or ones that particularly are?
Don't be talking on your cellphone, or trying to dial a number, while riding your motorcycle.

That would fall into the "particularly dangerous" category. tongue sticking out smiley
November 13, 2009 03:16PM
if cell phones are truly dangerous in the sense that their radio waves going through our brains are dangerous, then we are all screwed whether we use cell phones or not, unless maybe if you live in an area of the world where waves of various sorts don't exist.

November 13, 2009 07:27PM
rkj
So lately, if possible, I try to catch the doctor Oz show. I like this guy and the things you can learn!

Monday he's going to have cell phones as a topic, I'd be interested what you guys think. It's a channel five (uck***spit) show so it should be able to be accessed on the net if 3 in the afternoon isn't a good time for you.

Any cellphone you have to hold near your head is potentially dangerous.
I was working at Motorola back when all those cases of brain cancer hit the media...you wouldn't believe the amount of money that was spent to dispel/cover up/make it go away eye popping smiley

Nothing has really changed; teens are now the hardest hit group with brain cancers from cell phone use/abuse.

If Oz spills the beans, he's telling the truth; if he tows the corporate line, he's lying and becomes nothing more than Oprah's latest toy sad smiley
November 13, 2009 07:30PM
daniel
if cell phones are truly dangerous in the sense that their radio waves going through our brains are dangerous, then we are all screwed whether we use cell phones or not, unless maybe if you live in an area of the world where waves of various sorts don't exist.

To a certain degree you are right but the real danger is the antenna being in close proximity to your head. All the crap that the phone manufacturers have sold the public and the media is a crock of guano. You would have to holds the cell phone at arms length from your head before the affects are reduced enough for the signals to become nothing more than back ground noise smiling smiley
rkj
November 13, 2009 08:16PM
Archeo-peteriX
daniel

To a certain degree you are right but the real danger is the antenna being in close proximity to your head. All the crap that the phone manufacturers have sold the public and the media is a crock of guano. You would have to holds the cell phone at arms length from your head before the affects are reduced enough for the signals to become nothing more than back ground noise smiling smiley

I've heard, from an engineer, that cell phones in a car (being metal) is like a microwave oven for your brain; the waves keep going around and round...

We'll see what hes got to say, should be interesting confused smiley
November 14, 2009 06:17AM
We'll just have to wait a couple more years to really see the effect. There will be one, that I'm sure of. Would wrapping your head with metal foil help? ;-)

At work, all regular phones have been replaced with cell phones now, if I would live in the States, I'd sue them ;-)
November 14, 2009 06:52AM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
daniel

I've heard, from an engineer, that cell phones in a car (being metal) is like a microwave oven for your brain; the waves keep going around and round...

We'll see what hes got to say, should be interesting confused smiley

That's partially true but the strength of the signals is vastly reduced the farther it gets from the antenna. The real danger is from the close proximity of the antenna to the head. Using a cell phone on the top of a mountain has just about the same potential to cause brain cancer sad smiley
November 15, 2009 09:56AM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

I was working at Motorola back when all those cases of brain cancer hit the media...you wouldn't believe the amount of money that was spent to dispel/cover up/make it go away eye popping smiley

Nothing has really changed; teens are now the hardest hit group with brain cancers from cell phone use/abuse.

If Oz spills the beans, he's telling the truth; if he tows the corporate line, he's lying and becomes nothing more than Oprah's latest toy sad smiley

well i'm screwed, then.

November 15, 2009 10:42AM
daniel
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

well i'm screwed, then.

Just beware of the potential and try to limit the length of time you spend on calls.

The type of phone you have can also make a small bit of difference. If you remember back when this was all big news and the makers were scrambling to do damage control; Motorola came out with the flip phone which pointed the antenna away from the side of the head somewhat and they claimed that the problem was solved. Well not really but it did get rid of all the media interest.

Antenna technology has come a long way since then and many of the newer phones have designed radiation patterns which reduce the exposure to the head. This is good but we still need to be aware of the consequences of too much exposure.

If you are really concerned then use Text Messaging more often, it gets the antenna well away from your head.

Let us know what Dr Oz has to say grinning smiley
November 16, 2009 04:58AM
I'm taking a class on Wireless Communications right now, and this is one of the topics we have discussed. Especially with the advent of "smartphones" like Blackberrys and iPhones, we are exposed to more and more radiation. Smartphones have to put out significantly higher power levels to deal with the increased bandwidth required for the high speed data transfer as well as voice.

Cell phone companies even work in a factor called "head loss" into their link budget analysis when designing networks. Roughly half of the transmit power your phone puts out is absorbed by your head. Yes, phone antennae could be designed to radiate most of the power out of the back of the phone in a very tight "pencil" beam, away from your head, but then the problem becomes one of your signal not being aimed towards the nearest tower. There would still be some radiation into your head anyway, but not nearly as much. Since a user is always on the move (it is a "mobile" phone, after all), if the radiation pattern was directed outward from the back of the phone so that it didn't go into your head, the chances are good that it would just shoot off harmlessly, missing the receive antenna of the base station, and then people would complain about having poor coverage. I think the general public is more concerned about poor cell coverage than brain cancer. confused smiley

Hands free devices like Bluetooth headsets are perhaps even worse, since people leave them on their heads constantly, and they're always radiating to some extent to keep in contact with the mobile. My professor recently did an interview with a local newspaper on the topic of a new wireless system being deployed up here, and the constant worries people have about cell towers being put near their homes. His opinion is that if one wants to say that the towers are ugly, you're completely entitled to that argument. However, a quick analysis shows that if you look at three scenarios - 1) a cell tower a couple of hundred meters from your house, 2) putting your face 2 inches away from your microwave oven, or 3) having a wireless router sitting on your desk in your home office, by far the worst radiation exposure is from the router. Most people don't even think twice about having a router, Bluetooth headset, or smartphone pressed against their head for hours every day, but want to put a tower a 1/4 mile from their house, and they'll start screaming about their kids getting cancer.

Be smart, don't put the radiating mobile unit against your head more than you need to, and don't let your young kids talk on the cell very much, as developing brains seem to be more susceptible than adults. But don't worry too much about it, besides, we're all going to die from cell phone/texting related car accidents long before the brain cancer can get us. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
November 16, 2009 10:31AM
Cab Treadway
I'm taking a class on Wireless Communications right now, and this is one of the topics we have discussed. Especially with the advent of "smartphones" like Blackberrys and iPhones, we are exposed to more and more radiation. Smartphones have to put out significantly higher power levels to deal with the increased bandwidth required for the high speed data transfer as well as voice.

Cell phone companies even work in a factor called "head loss" into their link budget analysis when designing networks. Roughly half of the transmit power your phone puts out is absorbed by your head. Yes, phone antennae could be designed to radiate most of the power out of the back of the phone in a very tight "pencil" beam, away from your head, but then the problem becomes one of your signal not being aimed towards the nearest tower. There would still be some radiation into your head anyway, but not nearly as much. Since a user is always on the move (it is a "mobile" phone, after all), if the radiation pattern was directed outward from the back of the phone so that it didn't go into your head, the chances are good that it would just shoot off harmlessly, missing the receive antenna of the base station, and then people would complain about having poor coverage. I think the general public is more concerned about poor cell coverage than brain cancer. confused smiley

Hands free devices like Bluetooth headsets are perhaps even worse, since people leave them on their heads constantly, and they're always radiating to some extent to keep in contact with the mobile. My professor recently did an interview with a local newspaper on the topic of a new wireless system being deployed up here, and the constant worries people have about cell towers being put near their homes. His opinion is that if one wants to say that the towers are ugly, you're completely entitled to that argument. However, a quick analysis shows that if you look at three scenarios - 1) a cell tower a couple of hundred meters from your house, 2) putting your face 2 inches away from your microwave oven, or 3) having a wireless router sitting on your desk in your home office, by far the worst radiation exposure is from the router. Most people don't even think twice about having a router, Bluetooth headset, or smartphone pressed against their head for hours every day, but want to put a tower a 1/4 mile from their house, and they'll start screaming about their kids getting cancer.

Be smart, don't put the radiating mobile unit against your head more than you need to, and don't let your young kids talk on the cell very much, as developing brains seem to be more susceptible than adults. But don't worry too much about it, besides, we're all going to die from cell phone/texting related car accidents long before the brain cancer can get us. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

There's some truth in that last little tidbit Cab; I almost got pasted this summer by a young lady on a cell phone as she running a stop sign right in front of me! thank goodness for good handling motorcycles and luck.

It'll be interesting to see what Oz has to say too. Thanks for all the info, you're really learning a lot, school can be a pisser!

Rick
rkj
November 17, 2009 02:42PM
Okay, today was the show on cell phones, very interesting. This Oz guy is Not a sellout. If you have a cell phone, you should watch the show

[www.doctoroz.com]

You should be able to watch the show on the net somewhere.... but that link above had some pointers
November 17, 2009 03:23PM

5 Steps to Staying Safe
Put it on speaker. Because your exposure drops exponentially as you move the phone away from your head, you don’t have to keep the phone very far away to reduce your exposure by 1,000 to 10,000 times.
Go wired. In crowded, noisy areas, use a wired headset instead. If you must use a wireless headset, turn it off when you’re not using it.
Store it. Unless you’re on it, stow the phone in your purse or bag. If you keep it on your waist, keep it turned off. Studies have shown that keeping a cell phone in your pocket can decrease sperm count.
Save it for a strong signal. When reception is bad (such as in a rural areas or when you’re driving) use your phone for emergencies only. The weaker the signal, the more the radio frequency has to boost itself to get connected, increasing your exposure.
Protect the kids. Do not let children use cell phones next to their heads. For older kids, it shouldn’t take much encouragement to get them to text more than they chat.

rkj
November 18, 2009 02:34PM
daniel

5 Steps to Staying Safe
Put it on speaker. Because your exposure drops exponentially as you move the phone away from your head, you don’t have to keep the phone very far away to reduce your exposure by 1,000 to 10,000 times.
Go wired. In crowded, noisy areas, use a wired headset instead. If you must use a wireless headset, turn it off when you’re not using it.
Store it. Unless you’re on it, stow the phone in your purse or bag. If you keep it on your waist, keep it turned off. Studies have shown that keeping a cell phone in your pocket can decrease sperm count.
Save it for a strong signal. When reception is bad (such as in a rural areas or when you’re driving) use your phone for emergencies only. The weaker the signal, the more the radio frequency has to boost itself to get connected, increasing your exposure.
Protect the kids. Do not let children use cell phones next to their heads. For older kids, it shouldn’t take much encouragement to get them to text more than they chat.

And last night at poker my brother was saying the phones in Europe (where the in depth studies took place) are more powerful but still, cell phones have not been in use for as long as everybody else (European countries) so caution should be used, because even though ours are less powerful there's still damage done. I'm always using speaker phone, it sounds like you're in a tin can anyway (well, most of the time).

I was so impressed by Oz's show; he even had a letter from the cell phone company (which was total crap), but he tried to have them on the show and he Did have many experts in the field that did speak up about the dangers.... Good man this Oz fellow thumbs up

Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login