Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Happy Sunday...back to work tomorrow sad smiley

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
November 08, 2009 08:32AM
With my new job, I come home all covered with saw dust; even after aggressive blowing it off with compressed air.
I'm now finding that my driver seat is becoming straw coloured from all the dust I don't/can't blow off.

This indicates daily vacuuming or seat covers. I'm lazy so I'll opt for seat covers grinning smiley

Now here is the question: without breaking the bank, what kind of covers can I use that don't have that foam backing which eventually destroys the cloth seat material?
I guess the plasticizers or whatever in the foam react with the synthetic fibers and stitching :X

I need something that will keep the dust off the seat and not destroy the fabric...
Peter, while I can't answer your 'covering' question, I have 2 things to recommend. Change of clothes and, please, please, stop trying to clean the dust off your self with compressed air! That practice is very unsafe, since one can suffer an embolism caused by the high pressure air entering the blood stream and reaching the heart. Cleaning of the clothes while wearing them with high pressure air is forbidden in all of the plants that I have been in charge of.

Salut,

Bob p.
I've got to second what Bob said. Please don't use compressed air like that any more. It's really dangerous.

Maybe you could find a beater seat in the boneyard and put it in your car while you have this job.

John
Looks like I don't need to repeat the compressed air warning. Just don't!

Best seat covers are fresh clothes, or as John suggests: get an extra seat. I guess any seat cover will rub over your original fabric and kill it in the end.
rkj
How about just a towel you throw over the seats, a nice big one that you could either tie into place or Velcro down. I use that in the summer on my sheepskins for the beach, water and sand protection.

Can you wear a shop coat?, if not you're going to have to get into changing your clothes Peter, like I used to do when I was fiberglassing boats, talk about nasty shit!

Rick
Bob P 325is 88
Peter, while I can't answer your 'covering' question, I have 2 things to recommend. Change of clothes and, please, please, stop trying to clean the dust off your self with compressed air! That practice is very unsafe, since one can suffer an embolism caused by the high pressure air entering the blood stream and reaching the heart. Cleaning of the clothes while wearing them with high pressure air is forbidden in all of the plants that I have been in charge of.

Salut,

Bob p.

Hi Bob,

Thank you ever so much for the warning. I've wondered about things like this before.

I can't really change clothes but would rather wear out my seats than cause an embolism or worse sad smiley

Hopefully someone else has some covering suggestions or I'll have to go with the foam backed ones.
John Yust
I've got to second what Bob said. Please don't use compressed air like that any more. It's really dangerous.

Maybe you could find a beater seat in the boneyard and put it in your car while you have this job.

John

My car is already a beater but the interior is immaculate for it's age...time for that pickup truck that won't matter smiling smiley
rkj
How about just a towel you throw over the seats, a nice big one that you could either tie into place or Velcro down. I use that in the summer on my sheepskins for the beach, water and sand protection.

Can you wear a shop coat?, if not you're going to have to get into changing your clothes Peter, like I used to do when I was fiberglassing boats, talk about nasty shit!

Rick

Ok, no compressed air...bad mojo eye popping smiley

When I finish the day I am literally covered from heat to toe with a fine layer of saw dust; changing clothes is an option but I'm not sure I could guarantee I'd be dust free after the change and subsequent exit from the shop.

Given the bad news about compressed air cleaning, I may just opt for cheap seat covers and hope for the best.

I'd love sheepskins but they would cost more than the car is worth sad smiley
i'm not sure how much the OE seat covers cost, but they exist, and fit well, obviously.

daniel
i'm not sure how much the OE seat covers cost, but they exist, and fit well, obviously.

Those probably cost more than I could get for the car grinning smiley
rkj
The sheep skins I use are not that much money, about 60 a piece and are very nice quality but I was suggesting a towel you would throw over the seats like I do in the summer to keep the sand and the salt water bottom's off my sheepskies.

That fine dust can be a real pain in the ass, its gets all over everything, and into everything. You're not breathing that all day are you Peter?
rkj
The sheep skins I use are not that much money, about 60 a piece and are very nice quality but I was suggesting a towel you would throw over the seats like I do in the summer to keep the sand and the salt water bottom's off my sheepskies.

That fine dust can be a real pain in the ass, its gets all over everything, and into everything. You're not breathing that all day are you Peter?

Unfortunately I do breath that stuff all day. Even with a dust mask on, I get wet particle board paste when I blow my nose sad smiley

I'm seriously considering walking away from this job. If it doesn't cripple me, it may cause some major lung disease.
I'm also becoming very frustrated with the 'it's good enough' attitude of the owners. I like to take pride in the things I make and to constantly be told that I'm spending too much time on things is rather irksome.

On an E30 subject; the 30 amp fuse that the blower fan is on blew this morning when I cranked it up to position #4. Turns out the fan bushings/bearings are dry and need relubing or replacing sad smiley
Put a new fuse in an will leave it on low speed for now.

...time for that new truck winking smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

Unfortunately I do breath that stuff all day. Even with a dust mask on, I get wet particle board paste when I blow my nose sad smiley

I'm seriously considering walking away from this job. If it doesn't cripple me, it may cause some major lung disease.
I'm also becoming very frustrated with the 'it's good enough' attitude of the owners. I like to take pride in the things I make and to constantly be told that I'm spending too much time on things is rather irksome.

On an E30 subject; the 30 amp fuse that the blower fan is on blew this morning when I cranked it up to position #4. Turns out the fan bushings/bearings are dry and need relubing or replacing sad smiley
Put a new fuse in an will leave it on low speed for now.

...time for that new truck winking smiley

I just took the blower motor out of the parts car, I'm trying to pick its bones before I send it to its final resting place, and it was very stiff, after a good shot of various potions it started to free up nicely.

I've done this job many times so if you get to yours and need help before you dig in rattle my cage why don't ya.

Yeah, That's the thing with production shops, its always hurry up, and you have to work with others smokin up the joint- give your snooze a little warm water and lite salt snort to clean out with during a particular dusty day, after a good blow you'll be good to go!

Be careful though, don't get to used to being there. That fine dust is a killer Peter as you must know.

See, that's what gets me, a guy like you having to work in a dust pit all day :X wasteful :mad:

Take care
November 10, 2009 06:13PM
The worst part of this job is that I find myself turning my brain off all day and just concentrating on the task at hand. When I do sanding for three or four days straight, this can't be good for the grey matter sad smiley

I have to get out of this and into something more cerebral or I'm going to be senile(more senile) long before I get into old age sad smiley

I've been investigating this business of making money from the internet. Most if not 99.44% of it is scams and crap but I have found some sources of info on how it's really done.
Surprise, surprise, it's not an instant get rich deal; hard work and lot's of it are what pay off. Hard work I can handle...I'm experimenting with some of the things If found out already, so we'll see if there is any future in it grinning smiley
November 12, 2009 11:42PM
Archeo-peteriX
The worst part of this job is that I find myself turning my brain off all day and just concentrating on the task at hand. When I do sanding for three or four days straight, this can't be good for the grey matter sad smiley

I have to get out of this and into something more cerebral or I'm going to be senile(more senile) long before I get into old age sad smiley

I've been investigating this business of making money from the internet. Most if not 99.44% of it is scams and crap but I have found some sources of info on how it's really done.
Surprise, surprise, it's not an instant get rich deal; hard work and lot's of it are what pay off. Hard work I can handle...I'm experimenting with some of the things If found out already, so we'll see if there is any future in it grinning smiley

Humm, does the shop not have a bathroom? Heck, I've changed clothes in an airport bathroom by placing a couple sheets on news paper on the floor and using that as a "bathmat." Then just pick them up only toucing the up "clean" side and deposit them in the trash can.

Or you could just place a large plastic garbage bag over you whole seat.

Just my 2 cents. Be well. Maybe it is time for a change? Kelly
November 13, 2009 07:15AM
Kelly
Archeo-peteriX

Humm, does the shop not have a bathroom? Heck, I've changed clothes in an airport bathroom by placing a couple sheets on news paper on the floor and using that as a "bathmat." Then just pick them up only toucing the up "clean" side and deposit them in the trash can.

Or you could just place a large plastic garbage bag over you whole seat.

Just my 2 cents. Be well. Maybe it is time for a change? Kelly

Two bathrooms but unfortunately there is so much dust produced that even cleaning them every day would still leave a thick layer on everything...and they don't get cleaned but once every couple of months sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login