Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It's frackin cold here!!!

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
December 14, 2008 02:17PM
It snowed lightly late last night then warmed enough to melt the inch or so that was on the ground. then the temp plunged to around -8ºC and it froze into ice. A little more powdery snow fell and has blown around with the 40 to 60kmh winds.
right now the sun is shining, the wind is howling and the temp is sitting just below -4ºC with a wind chill much lower than that.

Wish I had some rhum for a nice hot drink or five grinning smiley

I fully expect the iX to have a dead battery even though I have a solar charger plugged in...doesn't to much good when the widow is covered with ice and frozen snow sad smiley
rkj
December 14, 2008 03:25PM
Sounds like fun, I thought you were going to send me some of the fun! what gives confused smiley
December 14, 2008 04:57PM
its snowing a lot here, but its 20something degrees instead of 0. hopefully it clears up.

December 14, 2008 04:57PM
rkj
Sounds like fun, I thought you were going to send me some of the fun! what gives confused smiley

I tried to scoop some up and put it in an e-mail but it's frozen solid to the car grinning smiley

The sun has just set and the temps have dropped about 5 deg in the last half hour. The house is starting to make cracking noises like it does when it get's cold quickly.

You can have it all as far as I'm concerned :?
December 14, 2008 05:00PM
daniel
its snowing a lot here, but its 20something degrees instead of 0. hopefully it clears up.

You guys are getting what passed through here today. Shouldn't be too much snow but it's going to get colder...a lot colder eye popping smiley

Darn...where's that shivering icon winking smiley
December 14, 2008 06:26PM
yeah, it got cooler here too, it's around 50F smiling smiley
but the storm from the north is coming fast...

Igor
December 14, 2008 06:32PM
here is my car...

December 15, 2008 04:36AM
Archeo-peteriX
It snowed lightly late last night then warmed enough to melt the inch or so that was on the ground. then the temp plunged to around -8ºC and it froze into ice.

At least you are still at home! It's been 3.5 days and we're still without power at my place. Our friend has been very gracious and is letting us stay at his place, but it's really tough with a toddler out of her element, especially when the house isn't set up for a baby. They still don't know when we'll get power back. We're getting a bit tired of it.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
December 15, 2008 07:57AM
Cab Treadway
Archeo-peteriX
It snowed lightly late last night then warmed enough to melt the inch or so that was on the ground. then the temp plunged to around -8ºC and it froze into ice.

At least you are still at home! It's been 3.5 days and we're still without power at my place. Our friend has been very gracious and is letting us stay at his place, but it's really tough with a toddler out of her element, especially when the house isn't set up for a baby. They still don't know when we'll get power back. We're getting a bit tired of it.

Hopefully the plumbing doesn't freeze up in your house...that is always my biggest worry when power goes out and the sub zero temps persist.
It's nice that you have friends generous enough to have you come live with them in such an emergency B)

Hopefully power will be restored soon and you can all go back to your familiar surroundings smiling smiley
December 15, 2008 08:06AM
Cab Treadway
It's been 3.5 days and we're still without power at my place.
Wow, that's rough. I know how trying that can be. You don't realize how much we rely on electricity until it all goes away. Hang in there!

December 15, 2008 08:16AM
Dave_G
Cab Treadway
Wow, that's rough. I know how trying that can be. You don't realize how much we rely on electricity until it all goes away. Hang in there!

I've never been without a woodstove and a nice pile of wood by the porch, comes in handy when all the modern stuff fails.

Hope you get out of danger soon Cab, those ice storms can be wicked smileys with beer
December 15, 2008 08:22AM
rkj
Dave_G
Cab Treadway

I've never been without a woodstove and a nice pile of wood by the porch, comes in handy when all the modern stuff fails.

Hope you get out of danger soon Cab, those ice storms can be wicked smileys with beer

I have a brick wood burning fireplace but can't really use it because it doesn't draw properly and simply fills the house with smoke sad smiley
December 15, 2008 10:30AM
Archeo-peteriX
Hopefully the plumbing doesn't freeze up in your house...that is always my biggest worry when power goes out and the sub zero temps persist.
It's nice that you have friends generous enough to have you come live with them in such an emergency B)

Hopefully power will be restored soon and you can all go back to your familiar surroundings smiling smiley

I did shut off the water valve where it comes into the house, and I left a couple of faucets open, so if the water does start to freeze, it can expand up the pipes and (hopefully) not burst them. It was 41F inside the house yesterday, and the basement was warmer. I'm hoping the pipes don't burst. If it takes a little while for them to warm up and thaw after we get back in, that's not a big deal, as long as they don't blow up!

We're hoping for the next couple of days, but we're not filled with confidence. There has been no word from the utilities, and there are still so many trees and downed telephone poles that often they can't even get to the wires. And, to top it all off, we're supposed to get another storm this week with potentially more freezing rain. Yuck.

Here's a link to some pictures of the damage.

Hmm, that link took me to a slightly different slide show earlier this morning. The one I saw included a few shots of a street about a 1/2 mile from my house. Oh well, that still shows some nasty stuff that we're dealing with here.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
December 15, 2008 12:01PM
Cab, Shutting off the water is one thing but you should have drained the system. If pipes start busting its ugly bro, and expensive. You also have to think about the heating system; it has water in it too.

There should be a low point in the fresh water system to drain it from. Guys that live in the upper east coast like us have to have all these emergency plans in order so things don't go too wrong!

Ice storms, now those I could live without :mad: Best wishes to you and all the Cabets smileys with beer
December 15, 2008 12:06PM
Cab Treadway
Archeo-peteriX

I did shut off the water valve where it comes into the house, and I left a couple of faucets open, so if the water does start to freeze, it can expand up the pipes and (hopefully) not burst them. It was 41F inside the house yesterday, and the basement was warmer. I'm hoping the pipes don't burst. If it takes a little while for them to warm up and thaw after we get back in, that's not a big deal, as long as they don't blow up!

We're hoping for the next couple of days, but we're not filled with confidence. There has been no word from the utilities, and there are still so many trees and downed telephone poles that often they can't even get to the wires. And, to top it all off, we're supposed to get another storm this week with potentially more freezing rain. Yuck.

Here's a link to some pictures of the damage.

Hmm, that link took me to a slightly different slide show earlier this morning. The one I saw included a few shots of a street about a 1/2 mile from my house. Oh well, that still shows some nasty stuff that we're dealing with here.

Those pictures remind me of the first winter we had here in this house 20 years ago. There was a huge freezing rain storm that did the same kind of damage as seen in those photos. We were without power for almost 72 hours but we stayed in the house and tried to use the fireplace. It worked ok except for the bad draft that allowed most of the smoke to escape into the house. It did provide enough heat to keep the pipes from freezing and we left the upstairs faucets dribbling too.
Our grocery store, which is a couple of blocks away, was running on an emergency generator so we ate deli that whole time.

I'll put in a few choice words with the weather gods and tell them to nix the freezing rain for your area smiling smiley
December 15, 2008 12:22PM
rkj
Cab, Shutting off the water is one thing but you should have drained the system. If pipes start busting its ugly bro, and expensive. You also have to think about the heating system; it has water in it too.

There should be a low point in the fresh water system to drain it from. Guys that live in the upper east coast like us have to have all these emergency plans in order so things don't go too wrong!

Ice storms, now those I could live without :mad: Best wishes to you and all the Cabets smileys with beer

Good thinking.
I can drain my system from the hot water tank as the drain is the lowest outlet in the house. Trouble is, it drains into the crawl space id I don't attach a garden hose and redirect it out doors winking smiley
December 15, 2008 01:08PM
rkj

I've heard mention of draining it, but I didn't have a chance to look at where a drain point might be. There isn't water in my heating system (that I know of) although of course the (cold) hot water heater is full. I'm sure that has a drain on it. It'd be a lot of trips up the bulkhead stairs with a bucket. It's probably worth doing, especially since we have some cold weather headed this way. If only I didn't have two finals this week... Ugh. If this storm could have just waited one more week, the aftermath would have been a lot less inconvenient.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
December 15, 2008 02:18PM
Cab Treadway
rkj

I've heard mention of draining it, but I didn't have a chance to look at where a drain point might be. There isn't water in my heating system (that I know of) although of course the (cold) hot water heater is full. I'm sure that has a drain on it. It'd be a lot of trips up the bulkhead stairs with a bucket. It's probably worth doing, especially since we have some cold weather headed this way. If only I didn't have two finals this week... Ugh. If this storm could have just waited one more week, the aftermath would have been a lot less inconvenient.

So you have hot air heat?

Yes, the water heater does have a drain and there should be some low point on the main plubing you can drain. If things turn colder Cab don't be afraid to have a little water on the floor or in the basement, its a lot better than replacing it, and the pipes. Even if you drain things some it will help and things might not burst.

It looks like we have more weather coming our way Cab, look for that low point and drain the pipes!

Best Regards Cab
December 15, 2008 06:10PM
Remember to flush all the toilets so the tanks are empty. Porcelain will crack if the water in the toilet tank freezes.

And pour a little antifreeze into every drain that has an elbow trap which holds water, i.e. kitchen sink, toilets, bathtub, etc. You don't actually want to drain the water out of the elbows, because you'll get sewer smells coming up the drains. There is a special environmentally-friendly antifreeze available, not Prestone, made for Recreational Vehicles and cottages etc. You can probably get that at Walmart or any automotive supply store.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login