Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing maps from the internet

Posted by rkj 
rkj
October 16, 2009 11:23AM
The other day I was trying to print from google maps and could not get a full sheet print to save my keyster. Today I needed another map and the same thing, I've tried all kinds of sites but they're all losers. Does anybody know a place I can do this?...... I've tried everything on the google page too, like the large map option, but maybe there's something I'm missing. Seems I used to print from them to have a 8x11 full sheet print... Its so handy, it's a shame I can't get it to work!

Cheers, Rick
October 16, 2009 02:51PM
Mapquest?

www.mapquest.com

alan
rkj
October 16, 2009 10:56PM
alanrw
Mapquest?

www.mapquest.com

alan

Thanks Alan, I'll give it a try tomorrow, looks good, nice street views but I have no printer here in the house. I'll print out a few in the shop tomorrow. Thank you smileys with beer
rkj
October 17, 2009 11:21AM
Well, that seems to be the same thing; a small thumb nail at the top of the page, then when I hit print on the mapquest page it just shifts it over to the middle top of the page. Dam, maybe I'm missing something.

Or maybe I should just buy one of those map cds sad smiley
October 17, 2009 03:41PM
Google has a little button in the upper right hand corner "Print" next to "Send" and "Link".
Is that closer to what you want? It's not absolutely full page, but it's quite large.

I can't imagine these free services allowing to to print (easily) maps without their logo showing someplace.
It's certainly possible to take the images provided and expand them to full pages, cropping out what you don't want. But that may require more skills/time than you have.
But to answer the hidden question: There is no way to print a map only full page from a serve like Google Maps sad smiley

Alternatively, you can just get an iPhone smiling smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
October 17, 2009 06:06PM
rkj
The other day I was trying to print from google maps and could not get a full sheet print to save my keyster. Today I needed another map and the same thing, I've tried all kinds of sites but they're all losers. Does anybody know a place I can do this?...... I've tried everything on the google page too, like the large map option, but maybe there's something I'm missing. Seems I used to print from them to have a 8x11 full sheet print... Its so handy, it's a shame I can't get it to work!

Cheers, Rick

When I run into this problem, I say screw um and do my own thing winking smiley

when you have the area of the map you want to see in print on the screen; hit CTRL +PrtScr. This saves the screen image in a copy buffer.
Then open up your favourite photo editing tool, Word or any app that will let you insert pics and paste. You can then print directly from that app or save it to PDF then print it.

Lot's of ways to skin a google map smileys with beer
rkj
October 18, 2009 01:03PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

Cheers, Rick

When I run into this problem, I say screw um and do my own thing winking smiley

when you have the area of the map you want to see in print on the screen; hit CTRL +PrtScr. This saves the screen image in a copy buffer.
Then open up your favourite photo editing tool, Word or any app that will let you insert pics and paste. You can then print directly from that app or save it to PDF then print it.

Lot's of ways to skin a google map smileys with beer

Thanks Peter

I'll try that, now thats control-print-scroll, all at once?

Rick........... beginner
rkj
October 18, 2009 01:05PM
Oh, wait a minute, I see a PrtSc (on top off) SysRg, is that the key I want?
October 18, 2009 01:15PM
rkj
Oh, wait a minute, I see a PrtSc (on top off) SysRg, is that the key I want?

If you are using a computer running Windows, it is smiling smiley

I will now bow out. Specific Apple related questions will draw me back out, or abstract computer questions in general.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
October 18, 2009 01:15PM
Yup. It's short for "Print Screen". Except it doesn't actually send it to the printer. It saves a copy to memory of whatever is displayed on your screen.

Then you can "Edit, Paste" (or Ctrl-V) that image into whatever other application you like and edit it there.
rkj
October 18, 2009 02:04PM
Ferdinand
Yup. It's short for "Print Screen". Except it doesn't actually send it to the printer. It saves a copy to memory of whatever is displayed on your screen.

Then you can "Edit, Paste" (or Ctrl-V) that image into whatever other application you like and edit it there.

I tried holding down the control key and pressed the PrtSc button but nothing happened.

If I have an image on the screen, as full size as it can be, and I want to capture it (and later print it some how, I can probably figure that out), how (in a five year olds mind) do I do it?

Remember, for five year old
October 18, 2009 02:34PM
rkj
I tried holding down the control key and pressed the PrtSc button but nothing happened.
You won't see anything happen at that point. Ctrl-PrtScn copies an image to memory of whatever is being displayed on your screen.

Now open up something like "Start, Accessories, Paint", or Microsoft Word, or any other software that can be used to edit and print an image. In that program, choose "Edit, Paste", or press Ctrl-V, to paste the captured screen image from memory into your document. Use that program to size the image however you wish, and print it.
rkj
October 18, 2009 03:04PM
Ferdinand
rkj
You won't see anything happen at that point. Ctrl-PrtScn copies an image to memory of whatever is being displayed on your screen.

Now open up something like "Start, Accessories, Paint", or Microsoft Word, or any other software that can be used to edit and print an image. In that program, choose "Edit, Paste", or press Ctrl-V, to paste the captured screen image from memory into your document. Use that program to size the image however you wish, and print it.

Thanks Ferdy, I'm on it thumbs up
rkj
October 18, 2009 03:17PM
rkj
Ferdinand
rkj

Thanks Ferdy, I'm on it thumbs up

Wow, that almost works, the problem seems to be even if I push the map image (after I get the printable version and put it in Word) to 500% my printing only fills 1/3 the page.

But your method works, I mean I did what you said and it worked. I'll try shipping to a different place; paint software here I come...

I have an older version of word so that might not help matters either, I think its from 2003 but I like it and I'm used to it.
rkj
October 18, 2009 03:30PM
Okay, the paint program works way better than Word so I'll stick with that. I'll just have to get the hang of the Paint program process, I never really worked at that before.

Is there a trick in mapping out what you want so the surrounding clutter is deleted and just the map is there?, I'm transferring the whole page, header and all.

Rick
rkj
October 18, 2009 03:45PM
Cool. I did it!

I took the right hand box/rectangle thingy and that outlines the map I want with that dotted line and then once I have it outlined I copy it and paste it into a fresh Paint browser and just the map comes out when I print it.

It's almost the full page so I'll try a little enlarging.

Yes Virginia, There is more ways to the outhouse than meets the eye! Thanks Peter and Ferdinand...again!
October 18, 2009 05:02PM
rkj
Cool. I did it!

I took the right hand box/rectangle thingy and that outlines the map I want with that dotted line and then once I have it outlined I copy it and paste it into a fresh Paint browser and just the map comes out when I print it.

Yes Virginia, There is more ways to the outhouse than meets the eye! Thanks Peter and Ferdinand...again!

Excellent smileys with beer

You can make JPGs too...

grinning smiley
rkj
October 18, 2009 07:41PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Cool. I did it!

You can make JPGs too...

grinning smiley

Hey, that's my house, isn't it?
October 19, 2009 09:25PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Cool. I did it!

You can make JPGs too...

grinning smiley

That's what Google thinks winking smiley
October 20, 2009 07:58AM
rkj

We're keeping any eye on your duck too.
rkj
October 21, 2009 09:10PM
Ferdinand
rkj

We're keeping any eye on your duck too.

Peter, its a good thing I wasn't looking in the trunk for something grinning smiley Ferdinand, that's the Ducks new home (actually they moved him a few years ago but...) and I hope they let him, or her, rest a bit now. Its funny, Duck was at that spot, as long as I can remember so I'm sure he's/she's glad to be home again!

They have even started to fix the buildings around the Duck...

Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login