Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

e21 w/ 250k?

Posted by ec437 
September 15, 2009 09:00AM
There's an e21 for sale down the street from my apartment, its got 250k on the clock and they're asking $600. Should I be tempted?
September 15, 2009 10:59AM
What condition is it in? And what engine does it have?

If it looks like a good car to enjoy working on and driving, why not? If you're bank account allows it, of course.
September 15, 2009 12:56PM
I have no idea what engine it has. I'm guessing its a 320, the badge is missing from the back. The only reason I would buy this is to have something to putter around town in so I don't always have to use my 635. Therefore, while I'm game to bang a few tools around, I don't want something that will crack the head as soon as I buy it or will fall apart every other time it gets driven...

As far as condition, well, it looks like a 26 year old car with 250k on it. The driver's seat is torn up and the paint is pretty oxidized. Only 3 of the 4 wheels match.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2009 12:59PM by ec437.
September 15, 2009 01:06PM
people swap in m42s into those cars to pep them up a bit. offer like $300.

September 15, 2009 01:17PM
OK, so given a choice between that and this moped:

What's the consensus?
rkj
September 15, 2009 03:08PM
Take the moped
September 15, 2009 05:42PM
I see beer and ice on the moped, so that would be my choice.

John
September 15, 2009 08:21PM
Judging from your description, this car is just another money pit you'll never fill up and I doubt you will get much puttering around town from it.

$600 cars are never $600 cars for more than a few minutes after you drive them away sad smiley
September 15, 2009 09:58PM
John Yust
I see beer and ice on the moped, so that would be my choice.

John

Ideally yes, but unfortunately those aren't included. That was just the only pic I could find of the 'ped winking smiley
rkj
September 16, 2009 08:43AM
The scooter looks nice, what is it?
September 16, 2009 10:01AM
I've never really been a fan of the E21, and from what I've read, there's good reason for that. I would rather take that $600 and put it towards something else.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
September 16, 2009 10:27AM
Cab Treadway
I've never really been a fan of the E21, and from what I've read, there's good reason for that. I would rather take that $600 and put it towards something else.

Cab's not a fan of two wheeled devices, as good as they are on gas hot smiley he made his wife stop riding!
September 16, 2009 12:23PM
Beer and ice? He's not gonna put ice in his beer is he?
September 16, 2009 04:00PM
Michiel 318iS
Beer and ice? He's not gonna put ice in his beer is he?
Not even we Yanks are that unsophisticated. Someone from the land of warm beer may not get this, but it many places, including all of North America (and probably South America too), we do this:

September 16, 2009 09:41PM
rkj
The scooter looks nice, what is it?

1985 Honda Aero 50.
September 17, 2009 04:01AM
No, she did that on her own. She didn't like riding enough to brave the roads out here, especially with all the sand that gets put down in the winter. She hadn't been riding very long when she moved here from the left coast, and she was not comfortable riding here.

I had a motorcycle in college, that's the perfect vehicle for that atmosphere, IMO. Great on gas, always get parking very close to the buildings, and can cut through access roads that cars aren't allowed to use. Riding is among the most fun things I've ever done. That said, I'm a realist, and I acknowledge that while nothing is certain, you have much higher odds of injury or death on 2 wheels than when in a cage.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
September 17, 2009 12:23PM
How is it riding mopeds in the rain or on roads with higher speed limits?
September 17, 2009 02:09PM
I just plug my box in to keep the drinks cool, though ice will be cooler.
September 17, 2009 05:15PM
Unpleasant and unsafe sad smiley
rkj
September 18, 2009 09:50AM
Archeo-peteriX

Yes. that's true but for learning how to ride, a small scooter and some calm back roads are really the way to learn (other than those great courses given by the safety people who give you a 250 to ride while you're there, learning). A 50cc scoot was never intended to ride with the big boys-

Rick
rkj
September 18, 2009 09:54AM
Cab Treadway
No, she did that on her own. She didn't like riding enough to brave the roads out here, especially with all the sand that gets put down in the winter. She hadn't been riding very long when she moved here from the left coast, and she was not comfortable riding here.

I had a motorcycle in college, that's the perfect vehicle for that atmosphere, IMO. Great on gas, always get parking very close to the buildings, and can cut through access roads that cars aren't allowed to use. Riding is among the most fun things I've ever done. That said, I'm a realist, and I acknowledge that while nothing is certain, you have much higher odds of injury or death on 2 wheels than when in a cage.

Hey Cab

I was just pulling your chain Bro. Thanks for the real story though smileys with beer

Nothing is for certain, for sure smiling bouncing smiley

Rick
September 18, 2009 08:13PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Yes. that's true but for learning how to ride, a small scooter and some calm back roads are really the way to learn (other than those great courses given by the safety people who give you a 250 to ride while you're there, learning). A 50cc scoot was never intended to ride with the big boys-

Rick

I don't think size matters much...car drivers simply don't see two wheel conveyances, whether they be motorized or pedal powered. Hell's Angel types are getting mowed down just as regularly as the folks on the Vespas sad smiley

I quit riding when I was 'not seen' three times on the same morning during my commute to work! Sometimes, hints are obvious winking smiley
rkj
September 18, 2009 09:20PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Rick

I don't think size matters much...car drivers simply don't see two wheel conveyances, whether they be motorized or pedal powered. Hell's Angel types are getting mowed down just as regularly as the folks on the Vespas sad smiley

I quit riding when I was 'not seen' three times on the same morning during my commute to work! Sometimes, hints are obvious winking smiley

Yes, you're right of course to a point. I'd say there's a minimum size machine for the roads in the USA; a strong 250 would be entry level. When I started raising the girls I took the Norton off the road for 21 years (kept ridin dirt though), and then sold it a few years ago... I couldn't start it anymore sad smiley with my lung thing- so I bought a few electric start bikes), ahhh, much better winking smiley

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room B) if I couldn't ride I'd be dead anyway... Rick
September 27, 2009 06:54PM
Well I'm now the owner of a moped. It's a simple 2-stroke, 49 cc's and pushing 4 horses :wink: It isn't ridable yet though. I have to wait until tomorrow to order a throttle cable from the honda dealer. (...assuming they can still get me one!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2009 06:55PM by ec437.
rkj
September 29, 2009 07:49PM
ec437
Well I'm now the owner of a moped. It's a simple 2-stroke, 49 cc's and pushing 4 horses :wink: It isn't ridable yet though. I have to wait until tomorrow to order a throttle cable from the honda dealer. (...assuming they can still get me one!)

You might try Bikebandit if the dealer falls short.
September 30, 2009 10:13AM
rkj
ec437

You might try Bikebandit if the dealer falls short.

Alas, the cable has been discontinued and BikeBandit doesn't carry scooter parts.

I'm waiting to see if a guy in Texas can get me a used one, if not I'll have to get one custom made.
rkj
September 30, 2009 01:40PM
Oh that's right, no scooter parts... crap.

Cables are really easy to make if you have something to work with. The trick is to spread the strands out on the outside of the barrel (or the end on the cable end) and solder away, with the heat on the cable itself, a little ahead of the barrel end.

Any good motorcycle shop will have the stuff to make up a cable; ends and cable material.

If you've just busted an end, that's easy to fix.

Rick
October 10, 2009 03:03PM
rkj

Cables are really easy to make if you have something to work with. The trick is to spread the strands out on the outside of the barrel (or the end on the cable end) and solder away, with the heat on the cable itself, a little ahead of the barrel end.

Any good motorcycle shop will have the stuff to make up a cable; ends and cable material.

Rick

Yep, I've had one made and have been scooting around town all week thumbs up
rkj
October 11, 2009 08:52AM
ec437
rkj

Rick

Yep, I've had one made and have been scooting around town all week thumbs up

Good luck, if you're careful you can have a lot of fun... smileys with beer
October 11, 2009 10:26AM
Good!

And you left the rust-pot go...
Problem with old cars (having one now, and had several before...) is unless you really like the car, you will soon regret you bought it facing the costly repairs due to keep it running safely.

Good luck with the 2-stroke -2wheel!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login