Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Picking up e30s "At the Carwash - yeah"

Posted by Kelly 
September 05, 2009 11:39PM
Hi All,

I hope all is well. At my office, we have been super busy. I'm so glad that Peter has a new job with new challenges.

After about a month's worth of dirt accumulation, last Sunday I managed to stop at the car wash - the DIY wash with stalls and water/soap wands.In San Francisco, residents are discouraged from washing cars at home; the storm water drains dump into the bay and pollute the bay water even more. As far as I can tell, the wand wash is the only way to wash a cabrio (top up). As I was rinsing off the soap a black cabrio just like mine pulls up behind me. Naturally I HAD to chat with the owner. We had what I like to call a "Beemie Love Fest" discussing, well, how much we adore our cars, whether of not we should have new paint, etc. I wrote down this website address for him saying "Oh it's the best ever. They can tell you how to fix almost anything with the car." I hope he joins us. I have this strange thrill about every 6 months when I try to recruit new members.

Changing subjects, I bought a new bicycle last month. I have not owned a bike for maybe 20 yrs. It's a fitness bike - a hybrid road bike but the rider's torso is mostly upright due to the straight handlebars. It does not have suspension. It does have a front carbon fork and a vibration dampening urethane bushing in the rear struts or fork which hold on the rear wheel. The urethane is supposed to soften the ride without the weight of suspension. I hope to start riding it to work in October when the project load theoretically calms down. My office is about 5 ft above sea level. The Golden Gate Bridge road bed, over which I must pass, is +/- 220 ft above the water. So my ride home at day's end will require lifting my self, bike, and assorted minimal junk up 220 ft in about 1.5 miles. Actually the bridge is the easy part, the hill leading to the bridge it pretty killer in both the upward and downward directions. In fact a long time cyclist called the downhill portion "an excellent location to collect bike accessories along the side of the road." Riders (many visiting tourists on rented bikes) don't realize how steep the hill is and they do not hear things flying off the bike. Needless to say, I'm preparing my legs by riding over some hills closer to home first. Sadly the City of SF's budget is a disaster; our roads are cracking and potholed. No repaving in sight for a long while I assume. Bad road surface is much more annoying on a bike than a car seat.

That's about all the news that is fit to type.

Cheers, Kelly
September 06, 2009 02:45PM
A bike is good for your health and that of mother earth. You forgot to mention an other detail: the wind! I remember the wind when going around the bay on a boat and a walk on the bridge. The bridge's vibrations and swaying must give a sensation too at times. Have good times!
September 07, 2009 06:40AM
Great project, you get fitness and transportation, and save money all at once!
The thing about bicycle is you can go as fast or as slow as you want, you may feel some pain at first, if you haven't ride for a while.
Over here, bikes can be carried free on trains, together with the owner. I was considering to use a bike in the city instead of my old car, but i never had the courage to make that move. I would have to wake up earlier, bring the bike in the train with me, and them ride some 5Km from the station to office, and back in the evening.
I tend to seat a lot, and I don't want to arrive to the office in the morning flooded in sweat cause then i would have to bring other set of clothes, and thats a bit over top for me. I am still considering, I may try it some day, and report back to you.
rkj
September 07, 2009 01:50PM
Hey Kelly

Have you ever gone over a tall bridge with a bike, it can be a real challenge. I think its great what you're trying to do; most of the warmer months eubie sits in the driveway on trickle and tarbaby (my motorcycle) gets all the use. 60 mpg beats 18-21 mpg and there's all that fresh air smiling smiley

Nice score at the carwash, he sounds like a neat guy- take care though smileys with beer
September 07, 2009 02:46PM
rkj

Nice score at the carwash, he sounds like a neat guy- take care though smileys with beer

Hi, Sorry I did not clarify - I was recommending our web site rather than flirting. Thanks for the concern.

Yes, I will be cautious with any carwash pickups. Has not happened yet.

My best carwash joke ever - A woman pulled up beside me and asked me if the vacuum (before the wash stalls) worked. I said that I did not know; I did not try to use it. She debated whether or not to try using it for 75 cents. I cheerfully said "Well, it's cheaper than Las Vegas and your odds are probably better." I think that made her day becuase she laughed quite a bit. I think the vac did work.

:-) Kelly
rkj
September 07, 2009 03:26PM
very funny B)- good luck with the bike, and with all the other stuff smiling smiley

Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login