Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Work at last!

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
August 14, 2009 10:13PM
I start a new job and career on Monday morning.

Since the high tech electronics industry has mostly gone elsewhere, I have found myself without meaningful or lucrative employment.

This morning, I replied to and ad on Craigslist and by 3:00pm, I was employed!
My new job will be as a cabinet maker in a small shop a short 20 minute country drive from my home. I'm going to be working with real wood, real wood working machinery and seasoned professionals. The pay is a big step down from what I am used to but it is a ginormous boost over zero income smiling smiley

Although not a job requirement, I'm thinking this may well be the time to retire the iX for something with a box behind the cab. No, I'm not interested in converting the iX to a pickup(although that would be so cool). I'm just thinking of practicality.

I'm thinking that a 10 year old import like a Toyota Tacoma in good condition might be the right option.

The trouble is that the Blue Book value of the iX is crap and even the used market values these cares at under $1000 in perfect condition...a 10 year old Toyota pick up is going to run 3 to 5 thousand dollars!!!

As I said, it's not a requirement but I'm finding more and more that I could make use of a small truck vs the best twisty, windy handling machine on the road.
August 15, 2009 01:02AM
i think you are only giving reasons to convert the ix into a pickup!

[r3vlimited.com]

now he has a 24V turbo in it.

rkj
August 15, 2009 07:55AM
Peter, I'm so glad something came your way. I would becareful though, nothing is forever and maybe after awhile you'll find a small pickup for little money; its a great time to be a buyer.

I use a tow hitch and a small trailer, it has a bed (somewhere I even have sides for it but they wind up just getting in the way!) but mainly its for the motor bikes. That way I can carry anything and still have my best friend for cruising smiling smiley

Rick
August 15, 2009 08:39AM
Congrats on the new job. Remember to be afraid of whirrling saw blades, you tend to pay attention much better. This increases your chances of clocking out at the end of the day with 10 fingers and thumbs intact.

Don't sell the IX, you will hate yourself.

all the best

alan
August 15, 2009 05:23PM
rkj
I use a tow hitch and a small trailer... That way I can carry anything and still have my best friend for cruising smiling smiley

Exactemundo!

A trailer is cheaper than buying a pickup truck.

August 16, 2009 05:28AM
Congratz with the job! And go for the trailer advice, that way you'll end up with practicality AND with a comfortable car which is unstoppable, whatever weather you encounter. You want to end up stuck in snow and ice on a winter day? You'll regret it as long as you live!

In case you sell, sell it to me, I'll drop in a manual transmission and have the ever missed iX feeling back...
August 31, 2009 10:39AM
Good to know you are moving forward with your life!

However, if you feel underpaid or away from your field of expertise, you should keep searching.

As for the pickup, is it a requirement for the job? You will be hauling stuff daily or often?
Maybe you can keep the current car, and borrow your employer's truck when or if you need to haul something.

I think trucks suck for daily driving.

Take care!
August 31, 2009 08:28PM
Jose Pinto
Good to know you are moving forward with your life!

However, if you feel underpaid or away from your field of expertise, you should keep searching.

As for the pickup, is it a requirement for the job? You will be hauling stuff daily or often?
Maybe you can keep the current car, and borrow your employer's truck when or if you need to haul something.

I think trucks suck for daily driving.

Take care!

I will keep looking and maybe, in time, something good will turn up; but for now, it is income and I'm learning a new profession thumbs up

The truck isn't a job requirement; it would just be a convenience. Right now, the iX does most of the hauling I want to do but it would be nice to be able to just throw stuff in the back instead of having to set up my roof racks each time I want to carry something that won't fit in the trunk(boot).
September 05, 2009 09:59PM
Archeo-peteriX
it is income and I'm learning a new profession thumbs up

The truck isn't a job requirement; it would just be a convenience. Right now, the iX does most of the hauling I want to do but it would be nice to be able to just throw stuff in the back instead of having to set up my roof racks each time I want to carry something that won't fit in the trunk(boot).

Peter, Oh super duper. Glad you have found something for the present.

Ah, justleave the roof rack on the car. ;-) Kelly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login