July 06, 2009 04:48AM
hi all

i'm going to be in Lisbon for 1-2 days soon. anyone there ? any recommendations ?

thanks

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!
July 06, 2009 05:55PM
Well, i will be at the northern end of the country.

What are interested in Lisbon?
When are you coming?
There are lots of stuff to do or see!
Lisboa
rkj
July 06, 2009 08:41PM
Yikes, I wish I could come with you- nice pictures smileys with beer I don't fly anymore though eye popping smiley too chicken..
July 07, 2009 05:18AM
i'll arrive on july 31st (i think) and will stay for 2 nights. i have no idea what i want to see - just seemed like an interesting thing to do smiling smiley

after searching a little on internet, i KNOW i need to drive on the vasco da gama bridge and to go to the oceanarium.

--
July 07, 2009 05:31AM
after searching a little on internet, i KNOW i need to drive on the vasco da gama bridge and to go to the oceanarium.
Just don't drive there at Saturday night, it usually is crowded with police chasing the "tuning" cars and road racers... confused smiley

Another nice car drive: the road from Lisbon to the west, by the river/seaside till Cascais. From there you may head North to Sintra, or Mafra, explore the region and return to Lisbon.

The Oceanarium and the "Expo98" area is very cool too, and is near the airport.
There is the "Estação do Oriente" the train station, where you can take the Metro, trains to the city centre, to the south or to the North, where I live.smileys with beer
July 07, 2009 07:59AM
what city do you live in ?
i'm not coming with a riced out car - i'll be renting something from Valencia smiling smiley
i read somewhere that in portugal nobody cares about speed limits and they drive recklessly. is that true ? should i be nice, or integrate ? smiling smiley)

--
July 07, 2009 04:31PM
I live in Viana do Castelo (north) and work in Porto.
If you want to detour, i can buy you a drink or a cup of coffee!

Sadly but true, there is a lot of bad driving going on here. Speeding, not indicating maneuvers, disregard for other vehicles or pedestrians, etc. I try to drive well, the worst is not to get enraged by what i see, and stay cool.
If you don't drive aggressively, you will be fine. grinning smiley

From Valencia to Lisboa, is a long drive!
You may want to spend some time at Évora:
It is about one hour drive from Lisboa, on your way if you come from Badajoz.
July 08, 2009 03:24AM
we'll be arriving from Sevilla, last stop before Lisbon. we're doing kind of a tour of Spain, with a detour in Portugal smiling smiley
i've written down Evora - could become a waypoint too.
i'm afraid Porto is a bit too far though - last day after Lisbon is planned to get to Madrid for the plane sad smiley

--
July 14, 2009 02:59PM
I just lived in Sevilla for 4 months. Where else are you going in Spain? Make sure you see the Real Alcazar in Sevilla (in my opinion it is better than the Alhambra in Granada, as well as less crowded!), and also spend some time wandering around the centro. Wish I could show you some specific restaurants to go to, though La Campana is a famed bakery in the city, supposedly its oldest. The Cathedral is obviously worth a visit, and I heard the Iglesia de San Salvador is nice, though I never saw the inside of it. If you are there on a weekend, go to the plaza del salvador in front of that church at about 9 PM. It will be packed with university students. Also for a weekend, ask about La Carbonería. It is a flamenco bar with no cover that is worth going to. The Agua de Sevilla tastes like pineapple juice but will blow your head off.

Gibraltar is also interesting if for nothing more than a day (though La Linea sucks like you wouldn't believe), and the south coast can be nice.

One more thing: to get to Madrid from Lisbon it is worth it to fly. Fares can be found for less than €30/person.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 03:02PM by ec437.
July 14, 2009 04:46PM
ec437

One more thing: to get to Madrid from Lisbon it is worth it to fly. Fares can be found for less than €30/person.

Low cost can be really cheap, and for the one hour flight you don't miss the food and newspaper...
The only "catch" is you have to book in advance when they have more places available.

terminal A
July 15, 2009 01:42AM
i am renting a car from valencia and doing a road trip winking smiley

--
July 15, 2009 04:23PM
jaffar
i am renting a car from Valencia and doing a road trip winking smiley

Of course!
Make sure your rental has air conditioned, the interior of Spain is very hot, even at night!
Lisboa -Madrid should be a 6 hour drive, highway all the way (depending how fast you drive).
Madrid has a lot to see, if you want.
Enjoy!

smiling bouncing smiley
July 31, 2009 05:15PM
hello from Lisbon ! smiling smiley

we just arrived one hour ago. the vasco da gama bridge is amazing !

--
July 31, 2009 08:49PM
jaffar

Pics! We want pics!

Glad you arrived safely, so when you get a spare moment, we'd love to see a little of what you are experiencing grinning smiley
rkj
August 02, 2009 09:34AM
Archeo-peteriX
jaffar

Pics! We want pics!

Glad you arrived safely, so when you get a spare moment, we'd love to see a little of what you are experiencing grinning smiley

Yes, please B)
August 02, 2009 02:42PM
i was somewhat disappointed by Lisbon, but the places around it are very nice. here's one:

[attachment 76 P1040458s.jpg][attachment 77 P1040462s.jpg]

--

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2009 02:43PM by jaffar.
Attachments:
open | download - P1040458s.jpg (133.6 KB)
open | download - P1040462s.jpg (107.8 KB)
August 03, 2009 02:53PM
Hi Jaffar!

Keep us posted, take lots of pics!

Don't forget this beauty, built in the early sixties. It was opened 6-08-1966.

Above all, enjoy!

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 03:02PM by Jose Pinto.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login