Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bmw art car :P

Posted by daniel 
June 25, 2009 01:07AM
tonight a friend and i came up with a weird idea for the hood. anyway, i like it and think its kinda funny. daytime pics tomorrow. she did most of the work.

i thought this looked kind of cool

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2009 01:07AM by daniel.
June 25, 2009 05:27AM
Every time I see pictures of your car's hood I am more in awe. Like the bumper sticker says, that is just toadly ossum!

June 25, 2009 12:54PM
Dave_G
Every time I see pictures of your car's hood I am more in awe. Like the bumper sticker says, that is just toadly ossum!

thanks, Dave

here are some daytime pics:

rkj
June 25, 2009 02:26PM
Cant really say I care for it but I love the Badger hound smiling smiley give him/her an Eskimo kiss for me.
June 25, 2009 04:18PM
"art car" with different new art every day!
Nice idea.
June 25, 2009 11:38PM
rkj
Cant really say I care for it...

i figure it's better than very faded paint!

rkj
June 26, 2009 06:36AM
daniel
rkj

Faded paint, is another badge of honor. Just like stone chips and a few dings Daniel. Your thing seems a little disrespectful; sort of, no biggy; its your car.

Have fun Bro smileys with beer
June 26, 2009 08:01AM
daniel
rkj

How would this look on a nice pale flat pink? grinning smiley
rkj
June 26, 2009 08:57AM
Archeo-peteriX
daniel
rkj

Can't get her to come back as a red car Peter?

Try a little section like I suggested on my windbag post awhile back eye popping smiley
June 26, 2009 09:32AM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
daniel
rkj

Can't get her to come back as a red car Peter?

Try a little section like I suggested on my windbag post awhile back eye popping smiley

Oh it's coming but a little at a time. The oink is pretty bad and I have to go over the spots I've already done...after a couple of days I can see where I didn't get it all out.
Eventually I'll have it cherry again winking smiley
June 26, 2009 09:39AM
for the record, i would never modify the paint of any car if said paint was in refurbishable condition. I would much rather have some heavy treatment done to it to fix it, but it is beyond repair. BUT, the car is keyed in about 3 places, each at least a couple feet long or spelling out an expletive, and the roof and hood practically didn't have any paint left on them (roof still doesnt). Essentially the only way to fix it would be to have a full repaint, and if i were to spend money on that, I wouldn't be cheap and spend less than a couple thousand dollars (which i don't have, and if I did, would go into something mechanical). The car began life as an 88 325iSA, and seems to be living life as best as it possibly could be after the obviously rough, neglected life it has lived.

With that said, I'd much rather have a green hood (which was painted for me for free by a good friend) that I can have a little fun with, than a faded silver/grey/powdery white hood that i cringe at every time i see it. Faded paint doesn't seem like a badge of honor at all, just a badge of neglect. stone chips do indeed give it that "used, weathered" look, and are inevitable.

I understand Rick why you say it is disrespectful, but I see it more as a resurrection. The car looks less beaten and neglected now, in my opinion. Between the previous owner and I, we have pretty much brought this car back from the dead. If i had the money to spend, it would look brand new, believe me. It's not like I am doing this to a pristine M3, or even a nice example of an E30, or some other hard to come by vehicle. Also, the hood is easily replaceable if/when i do decide i no longer want a chalkboard. its not like the chalkboard covers the whole car or anything:

how i bought it:

and to Peter: I think a black chalkboard hood would match your red, unless you wanted a christmas theme tongue sticking out smiley but in all seriousness, my first e30 with the zinno paint (no clearcoat afaik) cleaned up REALLY nicely...for a short time. It never held up even after a professional detailer had there way with it.

rkj
June 26, 2009 04:02PM
Well Daniel, you're a kid (don't take that the wrong way) and writing on your car is okay, me, I'll take faded anyday. When I was just starting at this car stuff I bombed a few cars, they came out better than you'd think.

I can remember doing one a panel at a time; as I could afford it B) outside when the weather said yes... I think thats when me dad,who knew someone with a barn, hooked me up- That started the restoration business I've had ever since.

Have fun
July 01, 2009 12:32AM
rkj
Well Daniel, you're a kid (don't take that the wrong way) and writing on your car is okay, me, I'll take faded anyday.

Have fun

Humm, the ultimate driving canvas ehy? Regardless of your aesthetic.

I recently saw a champaign e30 convertible which most likely had been very recently repainted. Looked really super from a distance. Maybe the new paint was slightly tan pearlized or something. The paint enhanced the body's curvature. Super.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login