Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hooray, were back!

Posted by jordan_316i 
December 11, 2008 06:03AM
found this off the voy forums. good to have a new home smiling smiley

I'm very eager to help out with graphics, finding articles etc if anyone needs (my paint/photoshop skills are not awful winking smiley)

Some ideas: can we have a permanent link to the voy emergency forums somewhere? not saying anything will happen, but just in case, so new people can bookmark it..

Also, will there be a site accompanying these forums? like the old BEN. If so, can we glean articles for new BENN from the old BEN via the internet archive? Or are they Gus's copyrights?

I liked the 'whos online' feature of the old BEN as well...

even beer smiley is here!
smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2008 06:28AM by jordan_316i.
December 11, 2008 06:57AM
jordan_316i
Some ideas: can we have a permanent link to the voy emergency forums somewhere? not saying anything will happen, but just in case, so new people can bookmark it..

Good idea. I'll see if I can decide where where to put it where it's noticeable but not too intrusive.

Also, will there be a site accompanying these forums? like the old BEN. If so, can we glean articles for new BENN from the old BEN via the internet archive? Or are they Gus's copyrights?

Yes. The parent page, http://bmwe30network.net/. Right now there's nothing there, but we are definitely planning to fill it with stuff.

I liked the 'whos online' feature of the old BEN as well...

Me too. I've added that feature. (I like the easy ones. smiling smiley )

December 11, 2008 08:07AM
Welcome back Jordan. We're glad you found our new home B)

There is more to come as we've only been up a few days. I think we will probably be able to get back to what the original BEN was like only more modern software and with a secure host.

One of our forum members( I want to say igor) gathered many of the old archived articles and got permission from the owners to repost them here so we should be able to get a lot of the good stuff back up and running.

I just hope one of our current members here bookmarked the link to the new articles site that 'igor' or whoever put up a month or two ago :nerd:
December 11, 2008 10:53AM
Archeo-peteriX
One of our forum members( I want to say igor) gathered many of the old archived articles and got permission from the owners to repost them here so we should be able to get a lot of the good stuff back up and running.

Hi A,

I googled "Igor E30" and found the some info below. He might be found at the Yahoo e30 Group with the user name "bmw_86_325". If someone here is a Yahoo group member, then perhaps they could as him. Or I could join the group and ask.

This page has a (non-hot) link to the Wayback machine
Igor appears on Yahoo E30

Yahoo E30 main page (I think)
Yahoo E30

Cheers, Kelly
December 11, 2008 11:00AM
Kelly
Archeo-peteriX

Hi A,

I googled "Igor E30" and found the some info below. He might be found at the Yahoo e30 Group with the user name "bmw_86_325". If someone here is a Yahoo group member, then perhaps they could as him. Or I could join the group and ask.

Yahoo E30

Cheers, Kelly

Great detective work!
Can you get his e-mail from the site or do you have to join Yahoo groups?
rkj
December 11, 2008 12:07PM
Archeo-peteriX
Kelly
Archeo-peteriX

Hi A,

Yahoo E30

Cheers, Kelly

Great detective work!

I think this is the one you're thinking about, I wrote one for the wiper motor.

[e30world.com]

Maybe you could get Igor through the site, didn't try that smiling bouncing smiley little busy here today
December 11, 2008 12:44PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Kelly
Archeo-peteriX

Hi A,

Yahoo E30

Cheers, Kelly

Great detective work!

[e30world.com]

Maybe you could get Igor through the site, didn't try that smiling bouncing smiley little busy here today

Thanks Rick, that's the one thumbs up
Now all we need to do is contact 'igor' and get permission to link the site or copy it to our own articles section smiling smiley
December 11, 2008 01:02PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

[e30world.com]

Now all we need to do is contact 'igor' and get permission to link the site or copy it to our own articles section smiling smiley

Perhaps someone who knows Igor should contact him rather than me. Just a thought. (Still, I can try if you like)

Cheers, Kelly
December 11, 2008 01:50PM
Kelly
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

[e30world.com]

Perhaps someone who knows Igor should contact him rather than me. Just a thought. (Still, I can try if you like)

Cheers, Kelly

I used the 'contact' button on the page and e-mailed him. Let's see what he has to say smiling smiley
December 21, 2008 05:38PM
Hey, I just found you all. I hope that doesn't mean you'll be moving again. winking smiley

I was starting to get worried that this forum might have disappeared and that was bugging me. I think the knowledge base here is better than on the other e30 forums I've looked at. And there are some good watch pictures posted once in a while too.

What's that Russian site that you get at the old forum address? It looks like a UFO fan site or something.

John
December 21, 2008 06:10PM
John Yust
Hey, I just found you all. I hope that doesn't mean you'll be moving again. winking smiley

I was starting to get worried that this forum might have disappeared and that was bugging me. I think the knowledge base here is better than on the other e30 forums I've looked at. And there are some good watch pictures posted once in a while too.

What's that Russian site that you get at the old forum address? It looks like a UFO fan site or something.

John

Hi John,

Glad you found us again. This is our new home and we're staying put.
We have a new host that is both secure and reliable. Any monkey business by aliens will be quickly dealt with thumbs up

Do you like steampunk?...
December 21, 2008 08:18PM
Archeo-peteriX

Hi John,

We have a new host that is both secure and reliable. Any monkey business by aliens will be quickly dealt with thumbs up

I had to look up "steampunk" as I hadn't ever heard of it before. Yes, I like that kind of stuff, and I like that watch too.

John
December 21, 2008 08:30PM
John Yust
Archeo-peteriX

Hi John,

I had to look up "steampunk" as I hadn't ever heard of it before. Yes, I like that kind of stuff, and I like that watch too.

John

It's a work in progress.
The base watch was a Citizen dive watch that stayed down too long. I cleaned the dial down to bare brass then 'aged' it in a jar with a bunch of pennies floating around in some ammonia. The bezel was all scratched with missing numbers so i biffed it down to what you see; stainless steel. The luminous product on the hands had turned to black gunk and destroyed the chrome plating so I sanded them down and cleaned off all the old luminous paint. The old movement supplied good parts to three other similar watches which are now all nicely restored to their original look. I rebuild a very nice automatic Seiko movement from the late 60s that will drop right in. I'm only missing the proper winding stem. Once I have that, it will be complete...and a bit of a conversation piece grinning smiley
December 22, 2008 11:15AM
heres another steampunk thing just posted on engadget

[www.engadget.com]

December 22, 2008 11:27AM
daniel

[www.engadget.com]

Interesting...wonder what it is; maybe a computer or tv?
December 22, 2008 11:41AM
jordan_316i

There's also a Facebook group, do a search on the site's name.
December 22, 2008 02:00PM
Archeo-peteriX
daniel

[www.engadget.com]

Interesting...wonder what it is; maybe a computer or tv?

if you click the link above the picture, you will get more information. the link also links to the step by step build page.

it is an "all-in-one" PC.

I ask because when I googled "bmw e30 network", this thread was the 2nd result (behind the UFO thing of course). If someone could post a message with the New New address this could help people re-find us.

I was a bit surprised that BENN only appeared as the 10th result. It's been a couple of months now, surely we should be in the first few results by now?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login