Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Peter, where the hell are you?

Posted by rkj 
rkj
May 30, 2009 07:29AM
Okay, enough is enough. I want you back, Right now- I hate it when you go away :?

Rick
May 31, 2009 06:50PM
I've been outside watching my paint fade sad smiley

May 31, 2009 08:16PM
Archeo-peteriX
I've been outside watching my paint fade sad smiley

Looks like you need a little wax.
Hey, at least you still have paint there to fade thumbs up
If you want to see something to make you feel good, I can show you what my roof looks like sometime winking smiley

Good to see you are still lurking around, even if you're quiet. I became ever so slightly worried that something may have happened. Good to see you and the bimmer still breathing air! smiling smiley
May 31, 2009 08:41PM
I have actually been working on depinking the iX. I always seemed to start this job and the sun would come out and I had to stop.

I'm trying the new Turtle Wax Ice liquid clay bar. It seems to work pretty good. After I've rubbed a couple of square feet, the applicator is rust brown..

When I get all this stuff off and have it back to the right colour; any recommendations on what to put on it to keep it from going pink in a month?

I have been quiet mostly because I haven't had any work since Christmas and it is somewhat depressing to send out half a dozen resumes every day with not a single nibble. Changing my resume around; customizing cover letters and even faking a resume for exactly what the company was looking for...have all failed to turn up a single reply. I'm not even being selective about what I apply for; everything from landscape help(lawn mowing) to price checker at the Dollar Store.

Anyway, apart from the pallid pallour of the paint, the iX just continues to perform as it always has; beautifully...so not much to talk about.

I'll try and be a little more active smiling smiley
rkj
May 31, 2009 09:01PM
Archeo-peteriX
I have actually been working on depinking the iX. I always seemed to start this job and the sun would come out and I had to stop.

I'm trying the new Turtle Wax Ice liquid clay bar. It seems to work pretty good. After I've rubbed a couple of square feet, the applicator is rust brown..

When I get all this stuff off and have it back to the right colour; any recommendations on what to put on it to keep it from going pink in a month?

I have been quiet mostly because I haven't had any work since Christmas and it is somewhat depressing to send out half a dozen resumes every day with not a single nibble. Changing my resume around; customizing cover letters and even faking a resume for exactly what the company was looking for...have all failed to turn up a single reply. I'm not even being selective about what I apply for; everything from landscape help(lawn mowing) to price checker at the Dollar Store.

Anyway, apart from the pallid pallour of the paint, the iX just continues to perform as it always has; beautifully...so not much to talk about.

I'll try and be a little more active smiling smiley

Well, thats much better, its not nearly as much fun without You here smiling smiley

I know how easy it is, letting work (or the lack of) get you frazzled. Try not to let it get you in a permanent hole smileys with beer things are never that bad... I know those are just words but its all I have at the moment. I'm sitting here healing after my hernia surgery on thursday. It was my first time in an operating room but luckily I had a good team working on me.

Please Peter, we need you here, and if any of these guys starts to piss you off just leave it be, move on to the next thing. We're all here to help, that's what makes this place tick smiling smiley

Cheers, Rick
May 31, 2009 09:28PM
Glad to hear the operation was a howling success(didn't they anesthetize you?) grinning smiley

I'm so far in the hole that I can barely see light when I look up at mid day eye popping smiley

The guys here are pussycats compared to the sabertooth lions on the watch forums; this old dude is a lot tougher than when he wandered away smileys with beer

So what do I put on the paint once the pink is gone? I don't want to have to do this again real soon...besides there isn't a lot of paint left on the car eye popping smiley
June 01, 2009 07:25AM
Archeo-peteriX
So what do I put on the paint once the pink is gone? I don't want to have to do this again real soon...besides there isn't a lot of paint left on the car eye popping smiley
I'd like to know that too.

I don't want my new red car turning pink either. I think the red paint is prone to this problem. Some portions are losing their gloss and turning chalky. A previous owner took a buffer to it and removed so much paint that the white undercoat is showing through at the top of the left front fender where it meets the hood.
June 01, 2009 08:28AM
Peter, is your car base coat-clear coat or just base coat that was polished out? If it is not clear coat, you can buff out the paint with a power buffer and then use a glaze for the final shine. There are lot of tutorials on how to do this. If you don't want to use a power buffer, those electric car wax polishers work fairly well and are safer.

alan
June 01, 2009 09:43AM
No clear coat just base paint.

Will the glaze help protect the paint that's left from deteriorating further or at least slow the process down?

I have a cheap Simoniz electric polisher that is mostly useless except for the final buffing once all the residues and so forth have been removed.
rkj
June 01, 2009 01:16PM
Archeo-peteriX
Glad to hear the operation was a howling success(didn't they anesthetize you?) grinning smiley

I'm so far in the hole that I can barely see light when I look up at mid day eye popping smiley

The guys here are pussycats compared to the sabertooth lions on the watch forums; this old dude is a lot tougher than when he wandered away smileys with beer

They gave me a spinal and also a little knock out juice in my IV, so basically I knew nothing of the whole affair until they were wheeling me out of the operating room (way too fast, I wanted my helmet). They gave me drugs that didn't agree with me so the ride home was a joy and now, four days later it just hurts... Tylenol helps but after surgery its just going to be painful (and SLOW going) for awhile.

At least now I can hobble out to the shop and commune with my metal buddies and the real Buddy is on my desk right by the computer keeping me company! My furry friend B)

Peter and Ferd (I forgot, your new car is red, how many tickets have you collected so far?), I know we've covered this before but here it is again; Red has white in it, that keeps it from fading. The more white in the mix, the longer it will stay red. The thing is; the more white, the less red (Color wise to the eye) it is.

Kind of a catch 22 here- I've painted cars for going on 50 years, mixed most of my own colors, matched hundreds of cars (a few movie star cars) and was on a first name basis with DuPont so I know what I'm talking about. I made my own Ferrari red with their product that lasted much longer then the euro stuff, glasso and the like.

Back to red cars; Red cars hate being in the sun and its the sun that will knock the crap out of a red color faster than anything else. The more white they put in the longer it will stay red (but we've done that one already). Reds of your vintage were not cleared, its one color like black where it would not serve any purpose and just wind up making it more dull.

This is what has worked for me bringing back red cars (which is a total nightmare, the older the car the harder it is); after you wash all the bugs and remove all the tar with a light soap and water a (diluted) wax and tar remover. In the shade-(very important) for all finish work, always in the shade (I don't care if it works in the sun or not). I use a very diluted ultra fine white compound mixed with lots of water, you'll have to start with a mixture and adjust to your needs as you go (this goes for any color but with reds you Really don't want to cut into the paint much; all you're doing is stripping the oxidation off so you can save the real color and have that on top. A runny liquid mix.

This process is done a small amount at a time (a few square feet at most) by hand with tee shirts, the 100% cotton ones, the one that applies should be damp with water to start with and clean it as you go, and then toss it after its done for. You don't have to go hard at all, in fact go soft like your not really putting any pressure on it, and the haze that's left after you've gone over it with a clean dry T is no big deal- leave it.

You can do sections at a time to make things feasible- I work top down, front to back. Its just my way after doing it all these years.

Once you're at real color, wash the car with water and a hint of soap (not much soap at all) and dry off with a chamois. You've just got all the grit off and can now start the next step. make sure you get all the compound out of the moldings and all the little places it can hide in.

Now you're ready for a glaze; a glaze will seal the color and make whatever you put on top stay much longer and look better.....Glazes, for years I used liquid ebony. I don't know if they still make it but these days I'm using some 3M glaze that works fine. You can put this on by hand but it takes forever and the real deal is a slow buffer (my Milwaukee 1750rpm is the best, although a little on the heavy side) with a bonnet, and make sure, as with the cutting compound, to stay way away from any fender peak lines, you don't want to be going through the color and hitting primer or metal.

Once you've glazed the color wipe down with a clean dry T shirt and lay your wax on. When applying wax, no circles- use a straight line approach and you don't have to use much pressure, I use a damp T shirt or an apply sponge but always keep it clean and somewhat moist; it will make the wax go on easy and will not destroy the glaze you just worked hard to apply.

Important note- if you do not have the time or patience for doing the whole car, do a section but do the whole process, once you've started you can't leave the process half done!

After the wax, or whatever you use for the top protective layer is done hose the car with cold water for a decent amount of time, this will seal and harden the wax and give you more time before you're faced with the job again.

Red cars are not easy to live with but they are hot stuff thumbs up smileys with beer thumbs up You don't see many blue Ferrari's!

Cheers, Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login