Advanced

i has new wheels

Posted by daniel 
May 21, 2009 07:11PM
from

to

and then to

sunroof tree mod

Style 4's (originally from the e38 750's)
ET23
16x8
5x120
72.56CB
225/40-16 tires

rkj
May 21, 2009 08:02PM
So, you went to turbines. I like the baskets better but they're hansom smileys with beer
May 21, 2009 09:03PM
Has your car always had the 5 lug conversion?
By always, I mean since you bought it...
May 21, 2009 09:05PM
rkj
So, you went to turbines. I like the baskets better but they're hansom smileys with beer

thanks. technically these are turbines, which i lust after:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 09:06PM by daniel.
May 21, 2009 09:06PM
Earendil

yessir but i know lots of things about it if you are curious.

May 21, 2009 09:10PM
daniel
Earendil

yessir but i know lots of things about it if you are curious.

Someday, Sir, someday smiling smiley
May 22, 2009 08:51AM
daniel
rkj

Oh, so you're the one who likes those wheels. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

My BIL has an E34 M5, and he said that pretty much every owner ditched those wheels as soon as they could. I don't think I've ever seen an M5 that still has those.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
May 22, 2009 01:11PM
Cab Treadway
My BIL has an E34 M5, and he said that pretty much every owner ditched those wheels as soon as they could. I don't think I've ever seen an M5 that still has those.

thats funny, i took my car to a local high-end wheel shop to get the tires mounted (ended up saving about $75, only $60 for all 4 mounted!), and he informed me that back in the 90's they used to literally throw away the style 4's and style 5's that owners would leave in the shop after getting "upgraded" wheels. kind of disgusting for me to think about- brand new wheels being trashed, but its the reality of it all. i can see why people wanted to get rid of the turbines, but i think they look awesome, especially on an e30. probably the only 17 inch wheel i would put on an E30, period.

rkj
May 23, 2009 09:49AM
daniel
rkj

Actually, the first turbines came on the 1982-3 (I think that's the year they showed up) 320i, they were all the rage back then, I thought they looked sterile compared to the basketweaves of BBS fame. Those were always my ideal as far as wheels go, still are smileys with beer
May 23, 2009 10:28AM
rick, are you talking about the wheels on this car? i don't know if i would classify those as turbines, but i suppose they may have been called that.

the m5 wheel covers are called turbines because they actually route air into the braking system

i would love to have a set for my car. yummy.

rkj
May 23, 2009 11:23AM
No, the 320i (after the 2002 cars) came out in early 1977, they might have had them as an option cause the stock wheel was a steel rim, but I think they came out a few years after. Everybody was using them on their 2002's but the turbines had a way different offset and made the car steer like a truck...

[www.hemmings.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login