Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Its about time

Posted by rkj 
rkj
June 13, 2009 09:25PM
Cab Treadway
rkj
Its sad, you'd think by now car manufactures would think a little in to the future about how cars are made and how well they last. Peters right in that supporting failed companies just perpetuate the mess instead of thinning out the heard/deadwood.

I guess I don't think it's sad, because I don't expect that from them. Manufacturers are companies whose goal is to make money. They will make and sell what people are interested in buying. And in fact, the companies make more money when people go out and buy new cars every three years. So it's not surprising to me that the manufacturers are trying to make money. That's what all companies do. Nobody forced millions of customers to buy large trucks and SUVs, they were sold because that's what the market wanted. If the majority of consumers wanted small, lightweight, fuel efficient cars, they would buy them, and the companies that didn't offer those types of options would be in trouble. Oh, wait... that's one of the reasons the "Big 3" are in trouble. But I don't believe the manufacturers are to blame for making and selling cars that people have wanted to buy. The people who continued to buy those cars without looking towards the future are far more to blame, IMO. If people really want a cleaner environment and cars that last for 10+ yrs, those cars are out there, so let the marketplace determine which companies prosper.

There are cars nowadays being made better, but its a little late for the most part sad smiley

In general, you're absolutely right. Even the "bad" cars of today are far better than most of the cars that were available 20-30 years ago. The companies that made cars that really sucked have either been forced to improve their product or are no longer in business.

Its one of the reasons I love the Thirty's so much; it's a car worth keeping up, and using smileys with beer

Amen to that, brother! I am looking forward to being done with school and hopefully having a bit more time so I can really start working on mine!

You're right of course, the car companies (and the bike co's too) just sell us the crap we clammer for! Its a dam shame, most of the really good cars (and bikes) never make it here, or if they do the minute the sell like crap, thats it, they're a no show... Look who I'm talking to! (you and I are homies on this one)

Hows school going Cab, anything interesting to report?

Its weird to see a lot of dealers close down, these business's have been institutions out here, just saw another tonight in my midnite travels sad smiley scary
June 14, 2009 08:09AM
The really scary part is that you are now a 62% share owner in one of the worst run companies in the world. Not only are those billions of dollars being wasted, on executive bonuses, the factories, dealerships and the 6 or 7 subsidiary businesses the support the auto industry are all shutting down and putting tens of thousands out of work. sad smiley
What kind of bail out plan is that?

I t seems it doesn't matter who is in office(Canada or the US); the tax payer continues to be ripped of and his future stolen by a few greedy bastards in control of the purse sad smiley
The only difference I can see is that I only get a 12% share...I guess because the auto industry here is a proportionally smaller part of the economy.
rkj
June 14, 2009 07:21PM
Archeo-peteriX
The really scary part is that you are now a 62% share owner in one of the worst run companies in the world. Not only are those billions of dollars being wasted, on executive bonuses, the factories, dealerships and the 6 or 7 subsidiary businesses the support the auto industry are all shutting down and putting tens of thousands out of work. sad smiley
What kind of bail out plan is that?

I t seems it doesn't matter who is in office(Canada or the US); the tax payer continues to be ripped of and his future stolen by a few greedy bastards in control of the purse sad smiley
The only difference I can see is that I only get a 12% share...I guess because the auto industry here is a proportionally smaller part of the economy.

Its hard to know, these bailouts were a mixed blessing; it's hard on both ends and most of the people are going to be out of work anyway. What a crappy deal sad smiley for the folks.

Seeing these dealers closing out here Is scary as hell though, and Riverhead, a large town 30 miles from here that used to be the hub for the entire east end, is starting to look like a ghost town. I don't like this at all.

Gives me the willies- Rick
June 14, 2009 07:27PM
That's exactly my point...it would have happened anywya. So why/where are these billions of dollars being spent???
June 15, 2009 04:12AM
rkj

School is going fine. I have another 2.5 weeks to go in this summer term and then I have 2 months off before the fall semester starts. I'm enjoying learning stuff and it's neat to be in school because I want to be, not because I have to be. However, the schedule has been hard on the family, and I will definitely be glad next May when I'm done!

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
June 15, 2009 08:50AM
Archeo-peteriX
That's exactly my point...it would have happened anywya. So why/where are these billions of dollars being spent???

Got me- a last ditch effort?
rkj
June 15, 2009 08:53AM
Cab Treadway
rkj

School is going fine. I have another 2.5 weeks to go in this summer term and then I have 2 months off before the fall semester starts. I'm enjoying learning stuff and it's neat to be in school because I want to be, not because I have to be. However, the schedule has been hard on the family, and I will definitely be glad next May when I'm done!

I know what you mean, doing things outside of the family is a real hard choice, good for you though.

I'm sure you're doing it graciously smileys with beer

Rick
June 15, 2009 09:04AM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

It's like throwing the fire truck into the fire when it's too far gone to save sad smiley
rkj
June 16, 2009 09:47AM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

It's like throwing the fire truck into the fire when it's too far gone to save sad smiley

Of course, anytime you give the government (who gave them the thumbs up by the way?) the right to give bailouts to private companies there are going to be screw ups no matter how well intentioned the motives are. hot smileysad smiley but the thing that gets me is that there is little, if any, accountability going on.

Thats what really chafes my butt... the little guy always seems to get it in the end- Bama, you listening!

I think a few of the more intelligent members here could have sat down and hammered out a better plan, but then we wouldn't have been all hog tied with congress and the like!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login