Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Now I'm really starting to have evil thoughts...

Posted by Dave_G 
...about those Russian hacker UFO lowlifes. I was wondering whether Google had picked up our new site yet, so I searched for BWM E30 Network. First ,of course, was the old BEN site. But second was that stupid Russian squatter site. ARRggghhh!!:X

Has anyone been able to reach Gus yet to see if he can make that go away? It would be really nice to let all the folks over there know about this new site. If anyone is still trying to check in over there. sad smiley

Dave_G
...about those Russian hacker UFO lowlifes. I was wondering whether Google had picked up our new site yet, so I searched for BWM E30 Network. First ,of course, was the old BEN site. But second was that stupid Russian squatter site. ARRggghhh!!:X

Has anyone been able to reach Gus yet to see if he can make that go away? It would be really nice to let all the folks over there know about this new site. If anyone is still trying to check in over there. sad smiley

Cab was the only one who got thru to Gus last time...at least he was the only one acknowledged.
I think cab still posts on e30tech... which was started by a former member of BEN. I remember the thread announcing it.
rkj
I don't know much about this internet thingy but if that Russian squatter is sitting on the Ben site doesn't that mean Gus didn't pay the rent? and does it mean bad things for us here, I thought we were at last safe...
rkj
I don't know much about this internet thingy but if that Russian squatter is sitting on the Ben site doesn't that mean Gus didn't pay the rent? and does it mean bad things for us here, I thought we were at last safe...

No, the domain is paid for until Jan 31st so the russian creeps simply hijacked the URL and put a redirect.
There is no complete safety on the net; we can only take precautions.

Dave has us being served by a commercial service and they won't allow crap like this to go unrepaired for more than a few hours at most. They are also much better equipped to handle these attacks than the lonely unattended server where Gus had the forum sitting.

We should be relatively safe from hijackers and spammers...especially now that Daniel is one of our intrepid admins grinning smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

No, the domain is paid for until Jan 31st so the russian creeps simply hijacked the URL and put a redirect.
There is no complete safety on the net; we can only take precautions.

Dave has us being served by a commercial service and they won't allow crap like this to go unrepaired for more than a few hours at most. They are also much better equipped to handle these attacks than the lonely unattended server where Gus had the forum sitting.

We should be relatively safe from hijackers and spammers...especially now that Daniel is one of our intrepid admins grinning smiley

Thanks Peter, that makes it more clear smiling smiley

perseverance furthers
Archeo-peteriX

'Zackly.

I sent an email to Gus, but have not yet heard anything back from him. He may figure that since we've flown the coop, he is free of us now. grinning smiley

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
Cab Treadway
No, I posted there once or twice a few years ago, I think, but I haven't been to that site in a long time.

I sent an email to Gus, but have not yet heard anything back from him. He may figure that since we've flown the coop, he is free of us now. grinning smiley

I wonder what that will mean for all the articles, DIY's and archives.
rkj
I wonder what that will mean for all the articles, DIY's and archives.

The forum archives may be history unless the old server is resurrected. But hasn't somebody collected all the articles and DIYs? If so, if they get them to me and/or Daniel, we can get them up on the main page.

Dave_G
But hasn't somebody collected all the articles and DIYs? If so, if they get them to me and/or Daniel, we can get them up on the main page.

I have a few collected from the Wayback Machine. Would I use your .edu email address? Kelly
Can someone explain this to me like I am the village idiot? Why would a Russian entity hijack the website? Exactly what do they gain out of it compared to merely getting their own url?

alan
alanrw
Can someone explain this to me like I am the village idiot? Why would a Russian entity hijack the website? Exactly what do they gain out of it compared to merely getting their own url?

alan

Exactly that...a URL that someone else is paying for. On top of that it's how many twisted hackers get their jollies :X
The technical specifications of the different E30's are in my club site: [www.bmwe30cc.org].

Now that we have a new site running here, I wonder if we can create content for [wiki.bmwe30cc.org]? I was hoping we could turn it into some sort of repository of BMW e30 articles, fixes and other information.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login