Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Car

Posted by Ferdinand 
April 14, 2009 07:21AM
I got a new(er) car!

It's a 1990 325is, and is much better suited for our Targa Newfoundland plans. Our entry is officially listed on the website now.

We were up at the cottage for the long Easter weekend, introducing the deer to our new car.

My son commented it's a good thing that, unlike our stupid cats, the deer haven't tried to walk all over the car yet.
April 14, 2009 07:53AM
Nice looking car there Ferdinand! She looks pretty clean, any highlights or interesting characteristics that you've found yet?
April 14, 2009 08:40AM
Earendil
any highlights or interesting characteristics that you've found yet?
The biggest highlight is no rust! I've been fighting the rust in my old car for so long, I had forgotten what a joy it is to have a clean car with no rust whatsoever.

It has lots of other goodies too which my old 86 325e lacked, like horsepower! Holy cow what a difference the i engine makes.

Plus it has H&R springs, Bilstein sport shocks, and fancy suspension bushings so it handles like a go-kart. However, the lowered suspension and the low lip on the front valance means I need to be very careful with speed bumps, potholes, and stuff like that.

Another interesting, but less pleasing, characteristic I discovered is that when an engine mount fails under heavy braking, the engine will move forward far enough to stick the fan into the radiator. That made a mess of the rad and snapped two blades off the fan.

I've been driving it (carefully) without the fan for the last couple of days while waiting for parts on order. It's being fixed today.

April 14, 2009 10:12AM
Beautiful car! thumbs up (Nice pets in the yard too. smiling smiley )

Isn't it great having a car with no rust? We have a similar salt problem around here, and I ended up going to Pennsylvania to find a rust-free iX. I'm guessing you didn't find that gem in Ottawa. smiling smiley

I'm insanely jealous that you're doing the Targa Newfoundland. I would love to get up there for that some year!

April 14, 2009 10:47AM
Dave_G
I ended up going to Pennsylvania to find a rust-free iX. I'm guessing you didn't find that gem in Ottawa. smiling smiley

Funny enough, although this car was originally from Georgia, then Tennessee, I also picked it up from a guy in Pennsylvania.

I'm insanely jealous that you're doing the Targa Newfoundland. I would love to get up there for that some year!

It's not until September, but I'm already all excited.
April 14, 2009 11:34AM
looks very nice... what are the wheels on it?

Ferdinand
Another interesting, but less pleasing, characteristic I discovered is that when an engine mount fails under heavy braking, the engine will move forward far enough to stick the fan into the radiator. That made a mess of the rad and snapped two blades off the fan.

i may have mentioned this before, but i had the radiator fan clip the hose on the top there on my 325e, during a road trip across the country no less, in the middle of kansas. even after replacing the motor mounts (and hoses obviously), i had the radiator fan clip the same hose, during another cross country trip, in even more rural utah (monticello, ut, in case someone wants to look it up). it is this issue that has basically scarred me for life, and doesnt allow me to look at an M20 in a comfortable way. with that said, the timing chain in my M42 car just randomly snapped, even after having the tensioner and chain guides replaced, so i am running out of e30 motors to feel comfortable with, and i'm not about to get into a car with an M10 (unless it has a turbo).

April 14, 2009 01:22PM
daniel
looks very nice... what are the wheels on it?

nevermind, i just viewed your entry. the wheels seem to be konig remembers. (unless they are real BBS RSs)

do you have foglights on it, or not? your entry picture has them, while the one in this thread doesn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2009 01:22PM by daniel.
rkj
April 14, 2009 07:30PM
Ferdinand
I got a new(er) car!

It's a 1990 325is, and is much better suited for our Targa Newfoundland plans. Our entry is officially listed on the website now.

We were up at the cottage for the long Easter weekend, introducing the deer to our new car.

My son commented it's a good thing that, unlike our stupid cats, the deer haven't tried to walk all over the car yet.

Hey Ferdinand

Nice going, its red too! I remember when I got mine, 1988 325is stick, it was sooo much more fun than the Eta, trying to keep the revs just shy of the rocker breaking limit. Good Luck with it thumbs up

perseverance furthers
April 15, 2009 10:26AM
daniel
the wheels seem to be konig remembers. (unless they are real BBS RSs)

I wish they were three-piece BBS RS wheels. But they're actually two-piece BBS RM rims.

daniel
do you have foglights on it, or not? your entry picture has them, while the one in this thread doesn't.

The lenses on the foglights are all sand-blasted and ugly, so the previous owner removed them and replaced them with covers. I have the foglights loose in a box.
April 15, 2009 07:31PM
Great car Ferd! Lovin it.
April 16, 2009 12:31AM
Ferdinand
daniel
the wheels seem to be konig remembers. (unless they are real BBS RSs)

I wish they were three-piece BBS RS wheels. But they're actually two-piece BBS RM rims.

those are good too!

rkj
April 16, 2009 07:49PM
I think we need to see more pix, Ferdinand.
April 16, 2009 08:26PM
rkj
I think we need to see more pix, Ferdinand.

I 2nd that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login