Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

little 4.4 tumbler in the Bay Area

Posted by Kelly 
March 30, 2009 05:26PM
Hi All,

All is fine here. Fear not - at least for now.

Well, I was sitting at my desk when the first mini-quake waves moved through the building. (The expierence is rather like a wooden sailing ship during a light storm. Shiver me timbers. The building groans and crackles.) The first couple waves were small leaving me wondering what happened. I stood up preparing to dash for the door, and fortunatley I managed to remember to grab my keys as the couple more powerful waves arrived. Just as I was about to start sreaming at everyone to flee, the waves stopped. Everyone was standing by this point and mentally preparing to dash. (Imaging yourself as the American Football running back Jerry Rice darting around flying obstacles and heading for the door.) Overall, it lasted about 15 or 20 seconds.

This was just a gentle reminder to me to buy a rooftop cargo carrier bag. :-)

Cheers, Kelly
Kelly
Hi All,

Well, I was sitting at my desk when the first mini-quake waves moved through the building. (The expierence is rather like a wooden sailing ship during a light storm. Shiver me timbers. The building groans and crackles.) The first couple waves were small leaving me wondering what happened. I stood up preparing to dash for the door, and fortunatley I managed to remember to grab my keys as the couple more powerful waves arrived. Just as I was about to start sreaming at everyone to flee, the waves stopped. Everyone was standing by this point and mentally preparing to dash. (Imaging yourself as the American Football running back Jerry Rice darting around flying obstacles and heading for the door.) Overall, it lasted about 15 or 20 seconds.

Cheers, Kelly

You're so lucky...I haven't felt the ground move in years grinning smiley

Glad nothing bad happened and you're able to get 'beemy' over to the surplus store for a roof rack smiling smiley
Archeo-peteriX
Kelly
Hi All,

Cheers, Kelly

Glad nothing bad happened and you're able to get 'beemy' over to the surplus store for a roof rack smiling smiley

Thanks P! I've done pretty well with the basic preperations - water, food, plastic for windows, crowbars, camp stove, etc. But, it is a continuing effort.

:-) K
Kelly
Archeo-peteriX
Kelly
Hi All,

Cheers, Kelly

Thanks P! I've done pretty well with the basic preperations - water, food, plastic for windows, crowbars, camp stove, etc. But, it is a continuing effort.

:-) K

And just when you've got the complete package together, they will have figure out a cure winking smiley You can never be too prepared!
Kelly
Everyone was standing by this point and mentally preparing to dash. (Imaging yourself as the American Football running back Jerry Rice darting around flying obstacles and heading for the door.)

I am glad to hear you are OK. I can't imagine what being in an earthquake is like. I have felt one of those sudden shocks before, but nothing big.

Jerry Rice was a Wide Receiver grinning smiley

Glad to hear all is fine!

My wife is from California and it's quite interesting seeing the difference in her reaction to earthquakes versus mine. In my entire life I have felt exactly one earthquake. We don't get many earthquakes around here, but almost exactly 7 years ago we had a 5.2 earthquake centered in the Adirondacks about 40 miles from our house. It came at about 6:00 a.m., and in retrospect it was pretty funny what happened when we woke up. I woke up and my only thought, if you can call it that, was "huh???" If I had been in a comic strip, the air over my head would have been filled with question marks. In my grogginess I was completely clueless about what was happening. My wife, on the other hand, woke up, bolted upright, and immediately said "Earthquake!" That was when it began to dawn on me what was going on. smiling smiley

Nothing broke at our house, but that's scary stuff!

I was building a log house in Alaska once and experienced a 7.2 quake. I thought one of the guys had hit the house with the forklift as I was on 12 ft of scaffolding at the time and really felt it. The epicenter was only 30 miles away out in the bay and all the neighbors ran over and told us to head for higher ground as they expected a tsunami to hit and we were right on the beach. It is definitely a strange feeling to feel solid ground move beneath you. Glad you didn't have the big one that they are expecting anytime now. Maybe I should invest in some desert land in Nevada so when the big one hits I will own beach front property!!!
daniel

Jerry Rice was a Wide Receiver grinning smiley

Ohhh, I knew I would mess up his job title. But the image is correct - sadly without the protective helmet, padding, and football - screaming at everyone to evacuate, one arm held defensivley forward, leaping over chairs, diving under tables, flying at the door, etc.

;-) K
Kelly
But the image is correct - sadly without the protective helmet, padding, and football - screaming at everyone to evacuate, one arm held defensivley forward, leaping over chairs, diving under tables, flying at the door, etc.

;-) K

Oh, I'm afraid I disagree. Jerry Rice was (is) one of my favorite players of all-time. I have a poster of him hanging in my garage, keeping watch over my E30. He was never screaming or running about frantically. He was always calm, cool, collected, and unstoppable. In fact, the caption on my poster is "Run silent, run deep." grinning smiley

That said, I'm glad you're alright. I still remember sitting on the couch, doing math homework and waiting for Game 3 of the World Series to start when the big quake hit in 1989. Hard to believe that was almost 20 years ago!

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
Cab Treadway
Kelly
But the image is correct - sadly without the protective helmet, padding, and football - screaming at everyone to evacuate, one arm held defensivley forward, leaping over chairs, diving under tables, flying at the door, etc.

;-) K

Oh, I'm afraid I disagree. Jerry Rice was (is) one of my favorite players of all-time. I have a poster of him hanging in my garage, keeping watch over my E30. He was never screaming or running about frantically. He was always calm, cool, collected, and unstoppable. In fact, the caption on my poster is "Run silent, run deep." grinning smiley

That said, I'm glad you're alright. I still remember sitting on the couch, doing math homework and waiting for Game 3 of the World Series to start when the big quake hit in 1989. Hard to believe that was almost 20 years ago!

very very calm cool and collected.

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="[www.youtube.com] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="[www.youtube.com]; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login