Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E30 Touring

Posted by Cab Treadway 
March 27, 2009 05:46AM
Just saw a beautiful Touring driving north up I-93 in Mass, with NH plates (CHRLFT - must have been a skier). It was debadged, but I'm assuming it was a 325iT. It was also very clean, and simply gorgeous. I don't know where he got it, but I'm jealous!

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
March 27, 2009 08:58AM
I did not know they sold tourings in the US...also thought it was very difficult to import one too! B)
March 27, 2009 09:00AM
wodcutr
I did not know they sold tourings in the US...also thought it was very difficult to import one too! B)

you are correct on both counts. this is why cab bothered to start a thread about it.

March 28, 2009 06:11AM
wodcutr

Exactly. That's why I was so jealous! I saw it coming in the rearview, it got close enough to where I could see the rear door handles, so I figured it was a very clean 4-door, then it passed me and I saw the rear. I just about drove off the road, I was so surprised! I wish we had gotten those. Of course, if we had gotten those here, I wouldn't have been so amazed, and maybe I wouldn't think they were so cool, either. Oh well...

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
March 28, 2009 09:14AM
Maybe we should get a dash out of a wrecked car for the VIN plate and buy a touring from up north, take the badges off the car, do the VIN swap and register it here! The DMV would never know and neither would the mechanic doing the inspection. Maybe a little deceitful, but when there is a will there is a way!
March 28, 2009 12:11PM
wodcutr
Maybe we should get a dash out of a wrecked car for the VIN plate and buy a touring from up north, take the badges off the car, do the VIN swap and register it here! The DMV would never know and neither would the mechanic doing the inspection. Maybe a little deceitful, but when there is a will there is a way!

AFAIK, the touring was never sold anywhere in North America. Any models that are here now have been imported from Europe. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
March 28, 2009 12:26PM
Cab Treadway
wodcutr

AFAIK, the touring was never sold anywhere in North America. Any models that are here now have been imported from Europe. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Don't know about Mexico but the iT was not sold here in Canada either...they've all been imported.

I still see them around. I think there is still one or maybe two at a car lot a few minutes away from my house...almost tempted to try a swap with them winking smiley
March 28, 2009 07:16PM
funny, i thought they sold them in canada.

March 28, 2009 07:41PM
daniel
funny, i thought they sold them in canada.

Only the later body styles like E36 and newer.
There were E34(5 series) tourings sold here though; go figure confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2009 07:41PM by Archeo-peteriX.
March 29, 2009 12:45PM
Really? You guys got E36 Tourings? Cool. I think we got E34 Tourings here, but I'm not sure. I know we got E39s. A 528iT with a 5-speed would be a nice family car when we outgrow the E46, although I'm not sure how much larger the E39 actually is in practical terms. The E46 is okay for us now, but it is not a large car. When/if we add another child seat to it, it will be really a tight squeeze, and we won't be able to bring Molly along with us, because the back of the wagon is taken up by strollers, etc. But I really don't think an E39 would be substantially larger. More likely a minivan will fit the bill at that point.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
March 29, 2009 02:08PM
I was very tempted to buy a E60 525d Touring last week. Ex-lease company car, 2006, 150.000 km on it, titanium grey, leather, iDrive,... Looked well cared after, for only € 15.000.
Luckily, I don't have a place to store my E30, which I'd like to keep until it's an old timer (and keep it longer too, of course). In the meantime, I could tidy it up (it is pretty clean, few small dents in the right door, paint is good with just one minor spot of rust at the rear wheel arch, mechanically pretty OK though power steering pump is struggling to survive for over two years now). Six years to go!

Somehow, I still miss my former E30 325iX Touring.
March 29, 2009 02:13PM
We may not have gotten the E36 here but there are a few around; so perhaps like the E30 iT they were imported as well grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login