Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hey everybody.

Posted by BimmerBrad 
March 09, 2009 07:52AM
Back after a hiatus. I've been busy with some new ventures in life, mostly positive. It's been a roller coaster for awhile because the economy is down and so is my job. Big surprise, right? haha
I'll explain more later. Just wanted to say hi.

-Brad
March 09, 2009 08:19AM
BimmerBrad
Back after a hiatus. I've been busy with some new ventures in life, mostly positive. It's been a roller coaster for awhile because the economy is down and so is my job. Big surprise, right? haha
I'll explain more later. Just wanted to say hi.

-Brad

Welcome back.
Glad you found our new permanent home thumbs up
March 09, 2009 10:14AM
Hey Brad,

Good to see you're still alive and kicking. How's your car these days?
March 09, 2009 02:53PM
i knew you'd come back.

how's the car, and the PS3?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2009 02:53PM by daniel.
March 10, 2009 03:12AM
Archeo-peteriX
Welcome back. Glad you found our new permanent home thumbs up
Thanks. I've known about the place for awhile. Daniel gave me a heads up.

Ferdinand
Hey Brad, Good to see you're still alive and kicking. How's your car these days?
Thanks Ferd. Car's still pluggin' along.

daniel
i knew you'd come back. how's the car, and the PS3?
Oh you KNEW I'd come back eh? haha Car's the same, just a few more miles. Oh yeah, it's finally paid off too. So I rightfully own the turdbox now. haha
PS3? It's.....uh......well.......still a PS3. I use it more for playing media than gaming at the time being. Downloading videos from Vimeo and loading them on the PS3 to watch. Sometimes I have to re-render them to AVC files.

Which brings me to why I've been inactive here. First, I was getting burnt out on some of the serious discussions around here. It didn't really go anywhere and it was causing some acquaintances to get sour and I didn't like that. I had to take a step back. This place is suppose to be about friendships and cars. That's how it will be for me. I'm not getting involved in any deep political or religious type threads anymore. We all have differences.....done. I'm cool with all you guys. smileys with beer

The second and really the most important reason I've been gone is because I've been preoccupied with a new passion/hobby/turned paying job. It's way too long of a story to type, but in short I met up with an old friend who is a phenomenal photographer who made a name for himself as a wedding photographer. He saw that I was really into videography on the side for fun. He wanted to offer up wedding videos for clients and asked me to come along on a wedding shoot and film some video with another friend of his who was also filming for him but was actually getting paid by the clients. (I was filming for free basically). Well, after the LOONG day of shooting I was exhausted but felt good that I actually did something with my hobby.

Two days later I had a short trailer done.....
Wedding Trailer

A couple months later because of change after change, my first wedding video was done....
(WARNING: it's 15min. long)
Final Wedding Video

I know watching someone else's wedding isn't exactly fun, but it gives you an idea at what I'm doing and what our style is. It's only going to get better from there. I've been submersed in the audio/video/cinema world for the last 6 months or so, trying to be a sponge and learn. There's so much to it. More than I ever thought of.

So somewhere after I made the wedding video, I came up with a name and it's Modern Memory Films. It just kinda stuck. My friend and I sat down and came up with the logo. Shortly after that, I made another video, only this time it was for a wedding invitation DVD that we're trying to put together. Here's the video for that (it's short too).....
Wedding Invitation

And so here we are. I've already got another bride that booked me and 3 more showing interest. I just need to get them to sign on the dotted line. I'm in between camcorders right now, as I just sold all my current stuff to upgrade to something even better. If money will allow, it will be a 3-CCD or 3-CMOS chipped cam with solid state recording. HDV is still a robust way of capturing/editing/archiving but it's also on its way out. Still not sure yet. I've been using AVCHD, but it can be pretty taxing on the computer and frustrating. Highly compressed files at 17Mbps. I even upgraded RAM and CPU to 4gig and 3.0ghz quadcore extreme respectively and it still takes a while to render files.

Anyway, enough for now. Sorry for the rant.
Later guys,
-Brad

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2009 03:16AM by BimmerBrad.
March 10, 2009 04:38AM
NO RANTING ALLOWED

that wasn't a rant...

i have recently started experimenting with photography and have thought about going into it professionally, but i feel like there is so much to learn and it is such a populated field that it might not be worth the trouble. i'll still keep it as a hobby though.

March 10, 2009 07:47AM
BimmerBrad
I've been preoccupied with a new passion/hobby/turned paying job....I actually did something with my hobby. ... A couple months later because of change after change, my first wedding video was done....

WOW! That's awesome!

I watched all your other films too. You've got talent dude.

...a wedding invitation DVD that we're trying to put together. Here's the video for that (it's short too).....
Wedding Invitation
Can't see it. It's marked private, requiring login, etc.

...it can be pretty taxing on the computer and frustrating. Highly compressed files at 17Mbps. I even upgraded RAM and CPU to 4gig and 3.0ghz quadcore extreme respectively and it still takes a while to render files.
No kidding. I merely dabble with video editing to get my ice racing and rally videos posted on YouTube. But even that takes a huge amount of hard disk space and time to edit and render. I can't begin to imagine what all is involved in producing something like that wedding video. But I do know we would have gladly paid huge dollars to have a video record as good as that of our own wedding!
March 10, 2009 08:01AM
daniel
i have recently started experimenting with photography and have thought about going into it professionally, but i feel like there is so much to learn and it is such a populated field that it might not be worth the trouble. i'll still keep it as a hobby though.
There's nothing wrong with doing it as a hobby, as long as you enjoy it.

But it's really, really, cool if you find something that you enjoy doing and manage to turn it into a money-making career.

My brother started off wanting to make movies with film cameras, but now he's a professional photographer. Check his website. He makes a boatload of money when he's busy, and enjoys himself doing it.
March 10, 2009 10:02AM
I watched the whole video. Kept waiting for the part with the e30's ....

You've got a real talent, Brad. Thanks for sharing, and good luck in your new venture!

Andy

Andy
1987 325ic
March 10, 2009 01:34PM
Ferdinand
BimmerBrad
I've been preoccupied with a new passion/hobby/turned paying job....I actually did something with my hobby. ... A couple months later because of change after change, my first wedding video was done....

WOW! That's awesome!

I watched all your other films too. You've got talent dude.

...a wedding invitation DVD that we're trying to put together. Here's the video for that (it's short too).....
Wedding Invitation
Can't see it. It's marked private, requiring login, etc.

...it can be pretty taxing on the computer and frustrating. Highly compressed files at 17Mbps. I even upgraded RAM and CPU to 4gig and 3.0ghz quadcore extreme respectively and it still takes a while to render files.
No kidding. I merely dabble with video editing to get my ice racing and rally videos posted on YouTube. But even that takes a huge amount of hard disk space and time to edit and render. I can't begin to imagine what all is involved in producing something like that wedding video. But I do know we would have gladly paid huge dollars to have a video record as good as that of our own wedding!

Thanks for the kind comments Ferd. I haven't really searched for affirmation or compliments thus far, but it is nice to hear positive comments when you don't even know what you're doing!! haha I seriously still feel wet behind the ears. I don't even know everything there is with my editing software or DVD software. Ferd the video is now open to the public. We were holding it until my friend Brett Jarnigan Jarnagin Photography
released it on his blog. It's not a bid deal. Check it out again if you want.

So what cam and editing software are you using right now? What are your current render settings?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2009 01:50AM by BimmerBrad.
March 10, 2009 01:35PM
akstraw
I watched the whole video. Kept waiting for the part with the e30's ....

You've got a real talent, Brad. Thanks for sharing, and good luck in your new venture!

Andy

Thanks Andy! We'll see where this goes.
March 10, 2009 01:45PM
Ferdinand
daniel
There's nothing wrong with doing it as a hobby, as long as you enjoy it.

But it's really, really, cool if you find something that you enjoy doing and manage to turn it into a money-making career.

My brother started off wanting to make movies with film cameras, but now he's a professional photographer. Check his website. He makes a boatload of money when he's busy, and enjoys himself doing it.

I agree with Ferd, Daniel. Hobbies are great because there's no pressure behind it. The minute you turn it into something serious, you better be ready for it. It changes everything. Now it's a job and you better perform. I'm just now to that point. I've been working for free and I just now got my first retainer fee for booking a wedding. I got that check and was like "wow, this is real now". No room for errors. I will make mistakes and that's a given. We all will. You never know Daniel, you may have a talent that you didn't know you had.

Ferd, your brother is pretty good man. I'm starting to hone my eye for details and an appreciation for photography and videography/cinema. I'm going to check his site out some more when I have time.
March 10, 2009 01:55PM
Ferdinand

i can see this convo happening.

man: oh you are photographer? i might need you to do a shoot for me.
bro: oh great, just go to my website andreastrauttmansdorff.com when you are ready, all my contact info is there.
man: andreas what?
bro: t, r, a, u, t oh forget it, here's my card.

March 10, 2009 02:03PM
BimmerBrad
I agree with Ferd, Daniel. Hobbies are great because there's no pressure behind it. The minute you turn it into something serious, you better be ready for it. It changes everything. Now it's a job and you better perform. I'm just now to that point. I've been working for free and I just now got my first retainer fee for booking a wedding. I got that check and was like "wow, this is real now". No room for errors. I will make mistakes and that's a given. We all will. You never know Daniel, you may have a talent that you didn't know you had.

Ferd, your brother is pretty good man. I'm starting to hone my eye for details and an appreciation for photography and videography/cinema. I'm going to check his site out some more when I have time.

I've always been told from friends and family that I have an "eye" for setting up a good shot, probably because I have always paid attention to details (not just with photos). When I visited Venezuela (Eventually, when I am putting off some big project or something, I will make a thread about my trip, with lots of photos) I was unofficially the official photographer, and everyone kept complementing me on the photos I took. Granted, they aren't photography experts, but neither are the people for whom you are usually taking photos!

Brad, I really like the wedding video. I especially like the part where you are filming the photoshoot. I could care less about watching people paint there nails, but for some reason I think it's great seeing people having their picture taken, and then a still shot every once in a while to show how one turned out. Keep it up.

March 11, 2009 07:08AM
BimmerBrad
The minute you turn it into something serious, you better be ready for it. It changes everything. Now it's a job and you better perform. ... No room for errors.
Ya, it's all simple when you're just doing it as a fun hobby, and it's rewarding in itself if you occasionally manage to turn out something impressive. But it's totally different when someone is paying you for your work and expecting a guarantee that the results will be impressive every time.

It's probably especially stressful when you're shooting something unique like a wedding. If you screw it up, like shoot everything but forgot to load film in the camera, it's not like you can just call everybody back again tomorrow to shoot it all over again.

But most of that is just stage fright, from the novelty of that new responsibility resting on your shoulders. You will eventually get over that. It's obvious that you and Brett have a talent for this stuff. It's much more than just knowing how to push the right buttons on your equipment. You guys are innovative and creative too, and look like you're having fun doing it. That sure looks like a winning combination.
March 11, 2009 09:29AM
BimmerBrad
BimmerBrad
Wedding Invitation
the video is now open to the public. We were holding it until my friend Brett Jarnigan Jarnagin Photography released it on his blog.
That's clever, and funny.

By the way, the link to Brett's website should be: Jarnagin Photography.

So what cam and editing software are you using right now? What are your current render settings?
I'm only recording in-car video so I can study it later to learn from all the mistakes I've made. It was never intended to be art. Nobody else at home is the least bit interested in watching any of this stuff, so the videos are mostly only ever going to be posted in low quality on YouTube.

I was using a Sony miniDV handycam, until the handycam eventually objected to all the abuse we were putting it through rattling around in the car. So now I'm using a more robust system from ChaseCam with a solid-state recorder using CompactFlash cards and a couple of small bullet-cams like this:

It's a perfect setup for what we're doing with it, but it's nowhere close to your league.

For editing, mostly just adding titles and stuff to the in-car footage, I'm using an old version of Pinnacle Studio. Otherwise, I hardly do any editing at all.

Here are a couple of examples that did turn out okay though.

John Buffum is one of my very few genuine heroes. He holds pretty much every record possible in North American rallying and nobody will likely ever come close to beating those records. He retired from full-time racing many years ago, but is still deeply involved in running his race shop out of Vermont and is still very active behind the scenes. In 2005, one of the clients of his race-shop, Antoine l'Estage, was still mathematically in the running to win the Championship. But he had to win the final event of the Championship, the 2005 Tall Pines Rally, with his closest competitor finishing 3rd or lower. To help l'Estage win, Buffum came out of retirement to also run this event, hoping to finish 2nd in order to take points away from the other competitor. Instead, l'Estage was out early in the rally, and Buffum went on to win instead. I was a spectator at this rally, with my Sony handycam, and later put together this little video of Buffum's win.

The other video is a compilation of clips from my various Chevette Ice-Racing adventures using in-car footage recorded by me and by my friend Jim. You can tell us apart because in Jim's footage you can't see his eyes. In my stuff you can usually see the round lenses of my sunglasses in the rearview mirror. The red car, with no rearview mirror at all, and the rollover at the end, was also me. The image quality isn't good for most of the older stuff because it was captured off old VHS videotapes. The more recent footage, shot with the miniDV camera, is a lot better quality. I had a lot of fun editing this one, but I didn't have enough disk space to save the various steps involved. If I wanted to fix the many little mistakes I see in it now, I'd have to start all over from scratch again. Chevette Ice Racing.
March 12, 2009 02:23AM
Ferdinand
BimmerBrad
BimmerBrad
Wedding Invitation
the video is now open to the public. We were holding it until my friend Brett Jarnigan Jarnagin Photography released it on his blog.
That's clever, and funny.

By the way, the link to Brett's website should be: Jarnagin Photography.

I'm only recording in-car video so I can study it later to learn from all the mistakes I've made. It was never intended to be art. Nobody else at home is the least bit interested in watching any of this stuff, so the videos are mostly only ever going to be posted in low quality on YouTube.

I was using a Sony miniDV handycam, until the handycam eventually objected to all the abuse we were putting it through rattling around in the car. So now I'm using a more robust system from ChaseCam with a solid-state recorder using CompactFlash cards and a couple of small bullet-cams like this:

It's a perfect setup for what we're doing with it, but it's nowhere close to your league.

For editing, mostly just adding titles and stuff to the in-car footage, I'm using an old version of Pinnacle Studio. Otherwise, I hardly do any editing at all.

Here are a couple of examples that did turn out okay though.

John Buffum is one of my very few genuine heroes. He holds pretty much every record possible in North American rallying and nobody will likely ever come close to beating those records. He retired from full-time racing many years ago, but is still deeply involved in running his race shop out of Vermont and is still very active behind the scenes. In 2005, one of the clients of his race-shop, Antoine l'Estage, was still mathematically in the running to win the Championship. But he had to win the final event of the Championship, the 2005 Tall Pines Rally, with his closest competitor finishing 3rd or lower. To help l'Estage win, Buffum came out of retirement to also run this event, hoping to finish 2nd in order to take points away from the other competitor. Instead, l'Estage was out early in the rally, and Buffum went on to win instead. I was a spectator at this rally, with my Sony handycam, and later put together this little video of Buffum's win.

The other video is a compilation of clips from my various Chevette Ice-Racing adventures using in-car footage recorded by me and by my friend Jim. You can tell us apart because in Jim's footage you can't see his eyes. In my stuff you can usually see the round lenses of my sunglasses in the rearview mirror. The red car, with no rearview mirror at all, and the rollover at the end, was also me. The image quality isn't good for most of the older stuff because it was captured off old VHS videotapes. The more recent footage, shot with the miniDV camera, is a lot better quality. I had a lot of fun editing this one, but I didn't have enough disk space to save the various steps involved. If I wanted to fix the many little mistakes I see in it now, I'd have to start all over from scratch again. Chevette Ice Racing.

Thanks for catching me on that mispelling!! I used to do that all the time and eventually got over it. Till now. I fixed it. I think I was in a hurry trying to post that before I went to work.

Ferd, that Chevette Ice Racing video is flippin' sweet!! (no pun intended, haha) That was very well put together. Man that looks like fun.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login