Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

You guys are going to laugh at this!

Posted by rkj 
rkj
February 26, 2009 08:07PM
I decided to put an ad in my local paper for computer help, this is what it looked like;

Computer help Just starting out or upgrading- Navigating the digital world, reasonable and courteous, Rick Jost 267-6079.

I'm winding down the car business and need extra money, and seeing how good I am at computers eye rolling smiley I thought it might be fun... So, I got one person on the first week and today I snagged another today with the second week smiling bouncing smiley so now I guess I'm a nerd biker!

Cheers
February 26, 2009 08:23PM
i dont quite understand what the ad is for. you are asking people to stop by and help you out with computer stuff?

rkj
February 26, 2009 10:29PM
No, the ad runs in a section that advertises services, sort of a help section. If you see it in the section it makes sense, kind of. Its funny, when my ad came out all three computer stores dropped their ads so I'm all alone!

I did get one call today though, he thought I was looking to hire a computer fixit guy confused smiley he seemed like a nice guy, maybe I'll kick some work his way for a tryout but so far, people want new stuff so I have to start doing my homework (on sooo many things).
February 27, 2009 02:54AM
oh, so you are offering computer help to others.

interesting...

February 27, 2009 07:47AM
Find yourself a nice chop shop that sells all the computer parts you need to build a new computer. You can build new computers for around the same price as the package deals you find at the big stores. But you can build much better computers than the brand name stuff and charge a bit more thumbs up

If you continue with this little venture, be prepared to run into a lot of fussy crazy people; it's a lot worse than dealing with people and their cars eye rolling smiley

I have two friends that lost their jobs at the same time as I did back in 2001 and they both started building computers for sale. One has turned it into a store front business and now has 4 employees while the other guy runs his small business from his shop. Both bring home about the same amount of money annually.
The guy with the store also does the repair and upgrade stuff but says it's much more profitable to sell new computers even though the margins are small.

I've considered going this route myself but haven't felt the need yet...it's getting close though; work has dropped right off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2009 07:58AM by Archeo-peteriX.
February 28, 2009 11:49PM
rkj
I decided to put an ad in my local paper for computer help, this is what it looked like;

Computer help Just starting out or upgrading- Navigating the digital world, reasonable and courteous, Rick Jost 267-6079.

I'm winding down the car business and need extra money, and seeing how good I am at computers eye rolling smiley I thought it might be fun... So, I got one person on the first week and today I snagged another today with the second week smiling bouncing smiley so now I guess I'm a nerd biker!

Cheers

Well best of luck to everyone's new adventures! Kelly
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Find yourself a nice chop shop that sells all the computer parts you need to build a new computer. You can build new computers for around the same price as the package deals you find at the big stores. But you can build much better computers than the brand name stuff and charge a bit more thumbs up

If you continue with this little venture, be prepared to run into a lot of fussy crazy people; it's a lot worse than dealing with people and their cars eye rolling smiley

I have two friends that lost their jobs at the same time as I did back in 2001 and they both started building computers for sale. One has turned it into a store front business and now has 4 employees while the other guy runs his small business from his shop. Both bring home about the same amount of money annually.
The guy with the store also does the repair and upgrade stuff but says it's much more profitable to sell new computers even though the margins are small.

I've considered going this route myself but haven't felt the need yet...it's getting close though; work has dropped right off.

I think, so far anyway, that I'll just be sending equipment out for repair or buying new stuff (I'm trying to keep myself out of trouble as much as possible). One lady who called is starting her own business and wants to start fresh with new stuff and new software (quick books), so I'll be prepared to set it all up, I'm even looking forward to space design if its wanted or needed.

Another customer called and I have to check voltage and the wiring in his old house; his new Dell shuts down after an hour of use (maybe the fan is kaput and its just overheating), he running a Dragon program that he needs help with.

All and all this is turning out to be an interesting opportunity for me; I've really embraced the computer ever since I started working with it in 97 or so, and this thing I'm doing is largely dealing with people, hopefully nice ones that need help with software and equipment.

I figure, hey, run an ad and see what happens :nerd: Helps the newspaper and maybe me too.

Thanks Peter
rkj
Kelly
rkj

Cheers

Well best of luck to everyone's new adventures! Kelly

Thanks Kelly thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login