Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I want to move!!!

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
February 16, 2009 06:59PM
We have just had our 15th gangland murder in 24 days here! The last half dozen have been in broad daylight.
The gangs are out of control and our police have their hands tied behind their backs by the judicial system sad smiley

Come here at your own risk!

So where can I move that's cheap, warm and relatively violence free confused smiley
February 16, 2009 07:11PM
I think you would need to be a little more specific. I am sure there are places in Nevada that are pretty cheap, plenty warm, and with a population of 30 basically violent free. If you are looking for more populous, then expect to pay more because of demand, and of course the more people you have the more likely to have disputes IE murder. I guess what I am saying is there may be a place such as what you are looking for, but it might not really be what you are looking for!
February 16, 2009 07:33PM
Archeo-peteriX

So where can I move that's cheap, warm and relatively violence free confused smiley

Knoxville, TN. But, you will have to stop for the red lights, at least at the 15 intersections with cameras. smiling smiley
February 16, 2009 08:15PM
Lots of small towns in Iowa that are too small for the gang types. Difficult to find anyone who drives a BMW in those places though. Need a Chevy truck.

Bob in Everett
rkj
February 16, 2009 08:57PM
Archeo-peteriX
We have just had our 15th gangland murder in 24 days here! The last half dozen have been in broad daylight.
The gangs are out of control and our police have their hands tied behind their backs by the judicial system sad smiley

Come here at your own risk!

I wonder if this is a sign of the times, we might see things get a little strange sad smiley
February 16, 2009 10:58PM
Someone quipped after the Columbine tradgedy that it could never have happened here in Los Angeles. The kids would have pulled weapons out of their backpacks and it would have been a fair fight.

alan
February 17, 2009 12:29AM
don't move yet, i might be coming up to vancouver for a weekend in march! we can go to lunch or something.

February 17, 2009 07:50AM
daniel
don't move yet, i might be coming up to vancouver for a weekend in march! we can go to lunch or something.

Sure, ping me before you come and I'll give you directions to the pub smileys with beer
February 17, 2009 09:04AM
Archeo-peteriX
daniel

Sure, ping me before you come and I'll give you directions to the pub smileys with beer

cool!

February 17, 2009 04:11PM
Archeo-peteriX

Ugg Sorry. I will not tell you the stats for Oakland CA - 7 miles east of San Francisco. Kelly
February 17, 2009 04:48PM
Kelly
Archeo-peteriX

Ugg Sorry. I will not tell you the stats for Oakland CA - 7 miles east of San Francisco. Kelly

Yesterday a woman was shot to death in her car while her 4 year old son was in the back seat. The boy was uninjured, fortunately.

A few months ago, Rudy Giuliani came to Vancouver and outlined what it would take to clean up the problem...the politicians still just huff and puff and fart :X
February 22, 2009 06:32AM
Man, I'm glad i live in Stavanger!
We're a small community, compared to most normal US cities. Population is just above 110.000. Murders are extremely rare. We had one (I think) last year.
February 22, 2009 08:11AM
Gaute
We're a small community, compared to most normal US cities. Population is just above 110.000. Murders are extremely rare. We had one (I think) last year.

You are lucky B)

The problem here is that we have one of the worlds major sea ports and share a border with on of the worlds largest drug using countries. This simply invites the gangs to come here and fight for turf and control of the drug trade.
Additionally, the largest agricultural crop in my province is marijuana(B.C. bud). Most of it is grown in homes and the cops simply can't shut them down fast enough. Last year it was estimated that there were more than 38,000 'grow ops' in residential homes in the province; mostly in the highest populated areas like greater Vancouver.

The grow ops and gangsters are multiplying faster than rabbits can breed so it's a losing proposition.

A good deal of the trouble could be eliminated if marijuana was legalized as it is by far the largest product being fought over.
Alas, the government doesn't see the benefits of legalizing it and collecting taxes like they do with alcohol and tobacco. They also don't seem to realize that the police power that would be freed up could easily take care of the remaining problems with other drugs and few 'meth labs' pop up every now and then eye rolling smiley
February 23, 2009 01:46AM
Archeo-peteriX
Gaute

You are lucky B)

The problem here is that we have one of the worlds major sea ports and share a border with on of the worlds largest drug using countries. This simply invites the gangs to come here and fight for turf and control of the drug trade.
Additionally, the largest agricultural crop in my province is marijuana(B.C. bud). Most of it is grown in homes and the cops simply can't shut them down fast enough. Last year it was estimated that there were more than 38,000 'grow ops' in residential homes in the province; mostly in the highest populated areas like greater Vancouver.

The grow ops and gangsters are multiplying faster than rabbits can breed so it's a losing proposition.

A good deal of the trouble could be eliminated if marijuana was legalized as it is by far the largest product being fought over.
Alas, the government doesn't see the benefits of legalizing it and collecting taxes like they do with alcohol and tobacco. They also don't seem to realize that the police power that would be freed up could easily take care of the remaining problems with other drugs and few 'meth labs' pop up every now and then eye rolling smiley

i have never smoked and never plan on it, but i agree that it should be legalized, and taxed.

February 24, 2009 12:03AM
As nice as it would be to legalize it for the very reasons you have pointed out, it is problematic because the police have no way to quantify how high someone is when they pull them over like they can do with alcohol. With alcohol they can breathalyze the driver, but there is no currently feasible way to do this for marijuana. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be on the road with any more stoned drivers than we already have out there.
February 24, 2009 07:22AM
Andy 90 325i
As nice as it would be to legalize it for the very reasons you have pointed out, it is problematic because the police have no way to quantify how high someone is when they pull them over like they can do with alcohol. With alcohol they can breathalyze the driver, but there is no currently feasible way to do this for marijuana. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be on the road with any more stoned drivers than we already have out there.

The police here are already trained to administer a series of road side tests to determine soft drug impairment, so that's not going to be a big problem.
Likewise, legalizing it isn't going to have everyone running out to buy it. Countries where it has been legalized did apparently see an small initial increase in usage but it was established that mostly it was just folks who already used but had not admitted to it before.

Along with legalizing it, public education programs like the ones for smoking and drinking would be put in place.

I worry more about the huge number of 'new' drivers here who have immigrated and basically do nothing more than buy a driver's license sad smiley
We might be safer if they were issued guns instead of cars...they can't aim anyway :X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 07:24AM by Archeo-peteriX.
rkj
February 24, 2009 12:27PM
Archeo-peteriX
Andy 90 325i

The police here are already trained to administer a series of road side tests to determine soft drug impairment, so that's not going to be a big problem.
Likewise, legalizing it isn't going to have everyone running out to buy it. Countries where it has been legalized did apparently see an small initial increase in usage but it was established that mostly it was just folks who already used but had not admitted to it before.

Along with legalizing it, public education programs like the ones for smoking and drinking would be put in place.

I worry more about the huge number of 'new' drivers here who have immigrated and basically do nothing more than buy a driver's license sad smiley
We might be safer if they were issued guns instead of cars...they can't aim anyway :X

Yup, the cops have ways to see to the soft core people, and you're right about taking the criminal aspect out of reefer, just makes sense!

Drinking is far a bigger problem and lowering the drinking age also makes sense (yes I know, not without pitfalls too) but we, as a people have to get off the protection thing! It does not work folks, make it illegal and you just intensify the issues. Even heroin should be dealt with with a more humane/right-thinking hand smiling smiley

Luckily, I live in a nice small town by the atlantic, that just has too many rich people! A whole other problem in the summer eye rolling smiley
February 24, 2009 01:17PM
this is a pretty extreme approach, but it has crossed my mind. i am sure i am over-simplifying things anyway.

legalize all drugs, but place a moderate tax on them. the market for formerly illegal drugs will be flooded by new producers, and the price will plummet. the people who are totally crazy about doing drugs will probably end up dying (not a good thing, but it reduces the amount of people buying), and many people will stop because the drugs will have lost their taboo appeal. eventually people will stop bothering to make most drugs, because it isn't profitable anymore.

this will never happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 01:18PM by daniel.
rkj
February 24, 2009 06:50PM
daniel
this is a pretty extreme approach, but it has crossed my mind. i am sure i am over-simplifying things anyway.

legalize all drugs, but place a moderate tax on them. the market for formerly illegal drugs will be flooded by new producers, and the price will plummet. the people who are totally crazy about doing drugs will probably end up dying (not a good thing, but it reduces the amount of people buying), and many people will stop because the drugs will have lost their taboo appeal. eventually people will stop bothering to make most drugs, because it isn't profitable anymore.

this will never happen.

There you go, but too bad it will never happen; america is a young nation that hasn't learned much sad smiley
February 25, 2009 12:12PM
And the more people die, the better for the planet (and traffic congestion) :o
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login