the detail they once did?
Also have you noticed the pics are several years older than the ones that were there only a few years ago?

As terrorist mania even crept into google? sad smiley
sdp
I know you can't zoom in as close as before. Probably the government and privacy groups making a stink about it.

The map of my home has not gone back in time. There was a house being built next to it.. Originally it was an empty lot, then halfway built, now it is finally complete even though the house was finished 1.5 yrs ago.
sdp
I know you can't zoom in as close as before. Probably the government and privacy groups making a stink about it.

The map of my home has not gone back in time. There was a house being built next to it.. Originally it was an empty lot, then halfway built, now it is finally complete even though the house was finished 1.5 yrs ago.

The picture of my house is at least 15 years old. It used to be much newer with my current cars in the driveway and my neighbour's new vehicles from about a year and a half ago.
The picture that is there now doen't have any cars in the driveway and none of the trees in the pathway beside my house have been planted yet. The car in my neighbour's driveway belongs to three neighbours ago!
I also can't zoom in as far ... just one more freedom stolen sad smiley
Or some freedom won back? I'm not such a fan of just anyone being able to watch in your back yard. Thiefs can just have a look if you have a trampoline when they want to come around your neighbourhood to pick one up.
I like the map part of the tool, the satellite view should be limited: private property shouldn't have too much detail (not such a fan of street view either).
Michiel 318iS
Or some freedom won back? I'm not such a fan of just anyone being able to watch in your back yard. Thiefs can just have a look if you have a trampoline when they want to come around your neighbourhood to pick one up.
I like the map part of the tool, the satellite view should be limited: private property shouldn't have too much detail (not such a fan of street view either).

I'm not one of the paranoid but I can understand how some folks with more valuable stuff than I have, might not like the close zooms.

I would be happy if they just left the old pics in place with one less zoom level. At that resolution, there isn't enough detail to distinguish a trampoline from a fish pond.
I never really understood the street level shots...those could easily be added to GPS directions for ner-do-wells sad smiley
Mine actually seems fairly current. My neighbor's garage that he built last summer is on there. Also has a recent street-level view which is awesome --(how do they do that?)

Andy
1987 325ic
akstraw
Mine actually seems fairly current. My neighbor's garage that he built last summer is on there. Also has a recent street-level view which is awesome --(how do they do that?)

Maybe it's just Canadian photos...after all we're part of the axis of evil winking smiley
I have no idea how old the street view of mine is, other than that it is within the last two years or so since we repainted the house (I believe). Its almost the same color, so it is hard to tell, but usually I would base it on which vehicles are in the driveway. Somehow they managed to catch a shot of the house with no car at all in the driveway! Believe me, this is no small feat as I currently have 5 vehicles and two drivers! Not to mention, the last two years I have been in CO and my Defender has been in the driveway under a car cover about 40 weeks of the year for the last two years.
akstraw
(how do they do that?)

they actually have a van drive around with a 360 degree camera. at first they only had a few cities, now practically the whole US is covered. really incredible.

Where I live is mostly just a blurry greenish smudge, with a kind of blurry white blobby thing where my house is. If you try to zoom in for a closer look, it says "We are sorry, but we don't have imagery at this zoom level for this region."

So, no, I haven't noticed any changes. smiling smiley

alan
alanrw
But again, all joking aside, why did they decrease the resolution and use older photos? You really think it had to do with privacy concerns?

alan

I have a feeling it was more to do with the P.A.T.R.I.O.T Act and terrorism than privacy concerns.

It doesn't make any difference to me one way or another; it was just an observation and idle curiosity grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login