Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New hot water heater today

Posted by rkj 
rkj
December 06, 2010 05:27PM
The old heater was over 25 years old and for the last few years we just couldn't swing any repairs that were not absolutely needed so I waited.... A few weeks ago it started weeping and I started to get an idea what this set-up would cost me.

To replace a 30 gallon, gas, Rheem unit the prices on the net went from 672.00 to 377.00. My store here was 450 (I could have gotton a forty gallon for 60 bucks less but I thought that energy wise the 30 was better) and my excellent heating guy did all kinds of pipe work (while we're in there) in copper....

Parts 550
labor 350

total 900 bucks .......... peace of mind, priceless eye rolling smiley

My point is, not too long ago you could buy this hot water heater for a few hundred dollars and put it in yourself in an afternoon!

Sometimes I think I can't live in today's world... confused smiley

Poor, but happy, Rick
December 06, 2010 06:13PM
Three years ago, mine went after 20 years of service.
It cost me $800 installed with an 8 year guarantee. Fortunately it was a drop in so the installers had very little to do other than hook it up.
They did have a fun time with the old one because the drain tap was plugged solid so they had to haul that thing(40 gallons) full of water out side. It nearly killed the two guys who did the install...glad it was them and not me winking smiley
December 06, 2010 06:14PM
rkj
Yes, you can!

And, now you can even enjoy a hot shower.
December 06, 2010 08:32PM
I had to replace mine a couple of years ago. Of course, it blows out midweek and the boss nixes the idea of waiting till the weekend so I can do it but that why she is the boss. How do the new tankless ones perform? Are they all they are hyped up to be?

alan
rkj
December 06, 2010 08:38PM
alanrw
I had to replace mine a couple of years ago. Of course, it blows out midweek and the boss nixes the idea of waiting till the weekend so I can do it but that why she is the boss. How do the new tankless ones perform? Are they all they are hyped up to be?

alan

From what I hear the veins in those on-demand units are very small and tend to clog up. Most people install a water sweetener before them at about 2 grand .... and then there's a lot of new plumbing and the units are not cheap. It was out of our reach for now although I was really in to it smiling smiley
December 07, 2010 11:14AM
And even if you could install it yourself, you're not allowed to. Who was it here that needed a new igniter (?) for his gas heater, who could install it himself but couldn't order it without a license and even when he did get it in the end had to pay a fitter to do a complete check-up of his installation?

In the house I bought earlier this year, the central heater (diesel fuel fired) had been replaced 5 years ago. Don't know the exact capacity but did cost € 2000 at that time. And that's for a non-sophisticated model (no fancy computer regulated stuff, just an analog thermostat in the living room).
December 07, 2010 12:22PM
Michiel 318iS
And even if you could install it yourself, you're not allowed to. Who was it here that needed a new igniter (?) for his gas heater, who could install it himself but couldn't order it without a license and even when he did get it in the end had to pay a fitter to do a complete check-up of his installation?
That was me. See: Raped by the furnace repairman

That was nearly two years ago.

So now, just a couple of weeks ago, we woke up to find the house freezing cold again. Oh NO, not again! It turns out it was just the furnace filter needed cleaning.

Bu this past Sunday morning it did it again. The filter looks clean enough to me. I cleaned it again just in case, and the furnace started right up.

Now I'm worried...
December 07, 2010 06:10PM
rkj
total 900 bucks .......... peace of mind, priceless eye rolling smiley

My point is, not too long ago you could buy this hot water heater for a few hundred dollars and put it in yourself in an afternoon!

Of course, $900 in 2009 is equivalent to about $440 in 1984. Go back 50 years and it's worth about $125!!

Gotta love inflation smiling smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
rkj
December 09, 2010 01:11PM
Ferdinand
Michiel 318iS
That was me. See: Raped by the furnace repairman

That was nearly two years ago.

So now, just a couple of weeks ago, we woke up to find the house freezing cold again. Oh NO, not again! It turns out it was just the furnace filter needed cleaning.

Bu this past Sunday morning it did it again. The filter looks clean enough to me. I cleaned it again just in case, and the furnace started right up.

Now I'm worried...

Ferdy, Every time I read that story I feel better (not for you, sorry, please don't get the wrong idea) for all the wild goose chase' I've been on! What a horror story... I'm sorry, I don't know the first thing about gas fired boilers other than thermocouples and simple stuff like igniters or I'd make a suggestion. Winter is a rough time to have heat issues here, I don't even want to know about your place eye rolling smiley

I finally got the wood stove chimney cleaned and got everything back together last night. It was a nice reunion around Mr. Lange; Janet and Buddy were very pleased and Ricks stock was up a few points thumbs up for us, on the east end of new york it has been cold; 20's at night and 30's in the day (I know that's nothing but...), it's a little early for that crap here! anyway, it's winter and that's that.

I just ordered a new hat, I'm not freezing this year!, from Canada!!

[www.furhatworld.com]

Should be a winner. Good luck on the heating system.. does that thing have a filter confused smiley other than the air one. Some of the Carter era oil burners have a shutter thingy on the intake that loves to screw up, I wonder if the gas boilers had anything like that?

Cheers, Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login