Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Old BEN site

Posted by Michiel 318iS 
February 01, 2009 02:23PM
Looks like the old site is definitaly gone...

http://forums.bmwe30.net/ gives This domain has expired. Click here to renew it. with some BMW ads.
February 01, 2009 06:53PM
Michiel 318iS
Looks like the old site is definitaly gone...

http://forums.bmwe30.net/ gives This domain has expired. Click here to renew it. with some BMW ads.

The good news is that out Russian ufo friend has also lost his free host smiling bouncing smiley
February 02, 2009 09:02AM
Archeo-peteriX
The good news is that out Russian ufo friend has also lost his free host smiling bouncing smiley
Not so fast. According to a whois search, it looks like Gustavo has re-registered the bmwe30.net domain name this morning, and the Russian cybersquatters are now back in business. sad smiley

February 02, 2009 09:17AM
Why did he do that? Why would we return to it, when he doesn't look after it?
February 02, 2009 09:34AM
Michiel 318iS
Why did he do that? Why would we return to it, when he doesn't look after it?

Doesn't matter much...we now have a stable site with a professional host. I'm staying here even if Gus clears the squatters out.
With Dave and Daniel on watch duty, we don't have to worry about spammers, scammers or host crashes thumbs up
February 02, 2009 09:59AM
Is it possible to link the two sites together in order to preserve all the good references of the old site? There is a ton of good stuff there. Maybe Gus will like you guys taking over and continuing his legend. It wouldn't hurt to try and communicate! Maybe he doesn't realize that the Russians are ransacking as he is accessing the site from the host computer so it appears as if nothing is wrong to him...other than there are no new posts!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2009 10:03AM by wodcutr.
February 02, 2009 10:38AM
wodcutr
Is it possible to link the two sites together in order to preserve all the good references of the old site? There is a ton of good stuff there. Maybe Gus will like you guys taking over and continuing his legend. It wouldn't hurt to try and communicate! Maybe he doesn't realize that the Russians are ransacking as he is accessing the site from the host computer so it appears as if nothing is wrong to him...other than there are no new posts!

Gus has been contacted by at least two of us and maybe more...with no response or acknowledgment. That was one of the things that spurred Dave and the rest of us to build the new site.

If Gus does revive the old BEN, a sticky here is all that's required...or you could go back over there.
February 02, 2009 11:47AM
Who wants to go back to the old BEN...you guys were the only ones that answered questions anyway, even if I did have to throw down a gauntlet or two!!tongue sticking out smiley
February 02, 2009 02:36PM
wodcutr
Who wants to go back to the old BEN...you guys were the only ones that answered questions anyway, even if I did have to throw down a gauntlet or two!!tongue sticking out smiley

Don't you find it somewhat cumbersome working on the E30 with gloves on? grinning smiley
February 02, 2009 06:43PM
Archeo-peteriX
wodcutr

Don't you find it somewhat cumbersome working on the E30 with gloves on? grinning smiley

I'll have to admit that one is way over my head confused smiley but for the record I do have a heated shop...no need for gloves!
February 02, 2009 08:40PM
wodcutr
Archeo-peteriX
wodcutr

I'll have to admit that one is way over my head confused smiley but for the record I do have a heated shop...no need for gloves!

Gauntlet = glove winking smiley

To throw down the gaunlet was an old medieval challenge where one knight would challenge another by throwing his gloves on the ground.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2009 08:41PM by Archeo-peteriX.
February 03, 2009 07:12AM
Peter - thanks for the explanation. See what a person can learn by frequenting this forum. I have learned the difference between an argument and a discussion, and also that a gauntlet is a knights glove. B)
February 03, 2009 07:33AM
wodcutr
Peter - thanks for the explanation. See what a person can learn by frequenting this forum. I have learned the difference between an argument and a discussion, and also that a gauntlet is a knights glove. B)

Excellent...now put on your Autofahrerhandschuhe and go for a drive in your E30 grinning smiley
February 03, 2009 07:48AM
Are you challenging me to a duel? tongue sticking out smiley
February 03, 2009 09:59AM
wodcutr

No point the iX is vastly superior to the iS hot smiley
February 03, 2009 10:24AM
Archeo-peteriX
Oo! Oo! A challenge! Wait, lemme go get my popcorn! grinning smiley

February 03, 2009 01:15PM
Archeo-peteriX
wodcutr

Maybe in the snow and ice, but on dry pavement I think I would have the advantage. Your car is slightly heavier up front and I believe that with my 3.73 diff my top speed would be greater. Do you have a chip for the ix? This would be an interesting duel...I have the perfect location too!! winking smiley
rkj
February 03, 2009 03:41PM
I think a proper road cross would include some dirt roads and a few obstacles B)-

Now, who's onboard?
February 03, 2009 04:48PM
wodcutr
Archeo-peteriX
wodcutr

Maybe in the snow and ice, but on dry pavement I think I would have the advantage. Your car is slightly heavier up front and I believe that with my 3.73 diff my top speed would be greater. Do you have a chip for the ix? This would be an interesting duel...I have the perfect location too!! winking smiley

No chip, no street racing...but I wasn't speaking of speed just overall superiority winking smiley
February 03, 2009 06:15PM
Ya you're probably right. I wouldn't mind adding an X to my collection. I have actually looked for a nice one for some time, but they either have rust, high miles, or been in an accident. I must say I don't mind getting 25 mpg in the is though...apparently the x's suffer in that department.
February 03, 2009 07:33PM
wodcutr
Ya you're probably right. I wouldn't mind adding an X to my collection. I have actually looked for a nice one for some time, but they either have rust, high miles, or been in an accident. I must say I don't mind getting 25 mpg in the is though...apparently the x's suffer in that department.

My iX gets superior mileage...it uses way more than the iS smiling bouncing smiley ...well maybe 1 to 2 mpg.
February 04, 2009 08:15AM
rkj
I think a proper road cross would include some dirt roads and a few obstacles B)-

Now, who's onboard?

Not me! I don't think my red E30 looks good with mud on it. It is a lot of work to keep a car clean and looking nice...why would you purposely thrash one? I guess if I had a few sponsors I might think about it. How about it Rick, you in for a few thousand to donate toward my auto cross car? I think we would make a great team! smiling bouncing smiley
February 04, 2009 12:06PM
Guess what... The UFO lovin' comrades are back...
February 04, 2009 12:13PM
Michiel 318iS
Guess what... The UFO lovin' comrades are back...
Yeah, they have been for two days. In one of the earlier posts in this thread I pointed out that Gus has renewed the bmwe30.net domain name, which brought the UFO site back from the dead.

February 04, 2009 04:25PM
wodcutr
I don't think my red E30 looks good with mud on it. It is a lot of work to keep a car clean and looking nice...why would you purposely thrash one?
A little dirt now and then won't hurt the car. My pressure washer took care of removing all the mud. Shovelling the mud out of the driveway though after the wash, that was a lot of work.

February 04, 2009 06:07PM
Ferdinand
wodcutr
I don't think my red E30 looks good with mud on it. It is a lot of work to keep a car clean and looking nice...why would you purposely thrash one?
A little dirt now and then won't hurt the car. My pressure washer took care of removing all the mud. Shovelling the mud out of the driveway though after the wash, that was a lot of work.

What color is that car? You would need more than a pressure washer to clean that baby. I bet there was mud in the intake of that car. It's kind of like when you go swimming at the beach...you get sand in places you didn't even know you had! eye popping smiley
February 04, 2009 08:09PM
wodcutr
What color is that car?
It's black when it's clean.

February 05, 2009 08:34AM
Not a bad looking car when it is clean! I have an 86 325es in white that I picked up from Cali. I like it a lot especially the front spoiler and M tek steering wheel. I put some weaves on it too from another is I have as a parts car. I thought it was kind of gutless until I chipped it and now that I put some Bilsteins on it I think it almost drives better than my 325is. Still not as quick, but I like the feel. I gave it to my daughter as a DD. I doubt she appreciates what she is really driving. I know when I was her age I drove a Datsun B210 hatchback. What a POS, but it got me where I needed to go I guess. Any how keep on rallying and don't get sand in your intake!
February 05, 2009 01:30PM
wodcutr
I thought it was kind of gutless until I chipped it
It runs out of breath at higher revs, but it's quite torquey at low revs. It's fine in 2nd and 3rd gear, but is gutless above that. It's great for the winter stuff though, as it always has more than enough power for that in any gear.

keep on rallying and don't get sand in your intake!
That's what air filters are for, as long as I remember to occasionally empty the sand out of the air filter box.
February 06, 2009 04:15PM
Or put a snorkel on the air intake, like we do in the Sahara!:laugh:

BOB p.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login