Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replacement part sticker shock

Posted by Dave_G 
September 11, 2009 03:35PM
I had to replace the MAP sensor on the Mazda this week. It's about a 1-inch cube of plastic with a vacuum hose on one side and a wire on the other. The price? $120! And that was the cheapest place I found on the Internet. The dealer price is around $200. Holy smokes, what's in those things? Platinum?

September 11, 2009 04:50PM
Welcome Dave, to the wonderful computer age of cars, ain't technology grand eye rolling smiley

Rick
September 11, 2009 07:32PM
They got it, you need it, put up your hands and pull out your wallet. Or buy an E30....they are showing up in the pick a part in droves.

alan
September 11, 2009 08:24PM
Dave_G
I had to replace the MAP sensor on the Mazda this week. It's about a 1-inch cube of plastic with a vacuum hose on one side and a wire on the other. The price? $120! And that was the cheapest place I found on the Internet. The dealer price is around $200. Holy smokes, what's in those things? Platinum?

Mazda has one of the highest costs for replacement parts of all the Japanese aned even European cars. It was supposed to have gotten better after about 1996 but there is no evidence that that really ever happened from all the horror stories I have heard from relatives with Mazdas.

Sure hope Cab never needs parts when his warranty is shot sad smiley
September 14, 2009 07:00AM
Archeo-peteriX
Sure hope Cab never needs parts when his warranty is shot sad smiley

Me, too. So far so good. Warranty is gone, it was 3/36, and I'm at a little over 3 yrs, and 53k or so. Just need another 7 years or so of trouble-free driving. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
September 14, 2009 07:39AM
Cab Treadway
[Me, too. So far so good. Warranty is gone, it was 3/36, and I'm at a little over 3 yrs, and 53k or so. Just need another 7 years or so of trouble-free driving. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Our Mazda6 is now approaching 5 years old w/ 89K miles, and we have had almost no problems with it, so overpaying for a wonky sensor doesn't sting as bad as it otherwise might. The only warranty work we ever had done was to replace a bad seat belt retractor.

September 14, 2009 08:27AM
Japanese cars hardly ever break, that's why parts are expensive. And you can't run your engine properly without a MAP sensor... It all comes down to economics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login