Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Passed technical inspection

Posted by Michiel 318iS 
July 07, 2009 06:26AM
So the old trustworthy passed technical inspection again. Not in one shot, as they broke my car at the first attempt.
Technical inspection is done by an independant company, approved by the state. They have a damper test rig (you drive one axle onto it, the rig makes the wheels vibrate at different frequencies and amplitudes and checks the response of the wheel). When my rear axle was being tested, I suddenly heard CLUNG-CLAC-CLAC-CLAC... And as expected, the damper test for the rear was failed (you'll have to replace your dampers, sir). The rest was OK (two remarks to keep an eye on: a bit of play on the joints of the left front suspension and one that's been there for years: some oil leakage - not willing to solve that one, keeps the underfloor rust free).
So, had to fix the damper issue within two weeks. When driving home, I noticed the noises again and some unstability of the vehicle in the left rear. Common issue: the damper top mount had broken. Replaced both of them and left the dampers for what they were, went back to the inspection and got passed. Both dampers are still well enough for at least another year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login