Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

325iX: Out with the old, in with the new...

Posted by Dave_G 
It's been too long since I've checked in here, so here's a bit of news.

What do you do when it's time to replace a 25-year-old car, and it's the best car you've ever had? Simple: get another one:

[attachment 223 20160306_170807-s.jpg]

It's a sickness. There are certainly more practical choices for a new car, but none that give me the same grins while sliding across a frozen lake or running a winter rally, or heck, even just driving to town for groceries.

And here's a fun coincidence: the new one (a 1991) was built 3 days earlier than the old one, in the same factory. Except that the new one has only 131K miles on it, and almost no rust. (It was originally from Alaska, where they don't salt the roads.) Unfortunately, the viscous coupling in the transfer case is shot, so the AWD is currently fairly useless, but hey, look! I have a parts car! And it has a good transfer case, so a swap is planned for the near future.

I'm afraid I'll never find a cure for this illness.

open | download - 20160306_170807-s.jpg (133.5 KB)
Some illnesses just need to be maintained ;-)
Nice!
You just can't get enough!

Good luck with your project.

:rally:
Let me just say that as I work my way through my lengthy list of little fixes and fixing previous owners' questionable work, it's really nice having an entire car's worth of spare parts sitting the driveway. smiling smiley There isn't a single missing screw on the car now.

Click here to login