Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Summer season is over for now

Posted by Bob in Lake Havasu 
October 23, 2015 06:01PM
Got the hard top on the cabrio and put the snow tires on too. I am ready for old man winter.

The S52 motor is working well. Now that I have the idler pulleys changed it is much quieter. Still need to have the exhaust moved away from the under body so the rest of the noise will go away.

Bob in Lake Havasu
October 26, 2015 09:47AM
Winter is easier to prepare over here.
We get mostly rain, and frost for the coldest months.
Just clean the inside of the windows with anti-fog product, check wiper blades and tire thread depth, and drive on!
Replace radiator fluid in case it is very old or diluted is advisable too.

:biggrin:
October 26, 2015 10:03AM
I ordered new winter tires today.
This type
October 26, 2015 12:21PM
Ove Kvam
This type

So you don't get much wind and rain over where you live?
I find very unpleasant to ride the bike in the rain.
October 26, 2015 12:41PM
Jose Pinto
Ove Kvam
This type

So you don't get much wind and rain over where you live?
I find very unpleasant to ride the bike in the rain.

Yes, we have lots of rain and wind here. I don't mind anymore. After all, we Norwegians decend from arctic explorers. Bring it on! smiling smiley
October 26, 2015 01:16PM
Ove Kvam

Yes, we have lots of rain and wind here. I don't mind anymore. After all, we Norwegians decend from arctic explorers. Bring it on! smiling smiley

That's the spirit!

Here in Porto, pouring rain and strong wind coincide often in the autumn and spring, so the use of umbrella is pointless.
We never get extreme temperatures though.
October 26, 2015 02:09PM
Jose Pinto
Ove Kvam

That's the spirit!

Here in Porto, pouring rain and strong wind coincide often in the autumn and spring, so the use of umbrella is pointless.
We never get extreme temperatures though.

We usually don't get extreme tempertures where I live either. Typical coastal climate. Last two winters we didn't have more than -6C!
Icy conditions are however rather common, so I need extreme tires for the bicycle, which is my everyday commuting vehicle.
October 27, 2015 02:44PM
Bicycle tyres are ridiculously expensive compared to car tyres.
October 27, 2015 03:09PM
Michiel 318iS

Actually high end bicycle tyres cost only about half as much as high end car tyres. And you only need two of them! :-)
My Skike (roller ski) wheels are however rather expensive, considering that they wear out very fast due to the small diameter.
October 28, 2015 03:12AM
Michiel 318iS

It depends.
If you consider the weight of both tires, bicycle tires will cost several times more per kg. But in bicycle parts, low weight is very desirable!
If you consider by piece, like Ove, tires for the bike are much cheaper.

Then there is mass production effect, few people buy ice tires for the byke, so that must turn those a very rare and expensive item.

smiling smiley
October 30, 2015 11:13AM
I put my snow tires on the car this week. Checking the summer tires as they came off I discovered one has a nail in it. No wait, it has a couple of nails in it. No, it has eighteen (18) little nail heads visible!

What the heck? All just in the one tire, right-rear.

I got my needle-nose pliers and pulled each one out. Luckily they were all just embedded in the treads, none long enough to puncture through the tire.

What are these things?
Attachments:
open | download - Tire-1.jpg (362.1 KB)
open | download - Tire-2.jpg (480.3 KB)
October 30, 2015 12:15PM
Ferdinand
I put my snow tires on the car this week. Checking the summer tires as they came off I discovered one has a nail in it. No wait, it has a couple of nails in it. No, it has eighteen (18) little nail heads visible!

What the heck? All just in the one tire, right-rear.

I got my needle-nose pliers and pulled each one out. Luckily they were all just embedded in the treads, none long enough to puncture through the tire.

What are these things?

You forgot to change that tire to summer tire last spring, and now there were only 18 studs left! :-)
November 02, 2015 02:56AM
Look like steel finger nails!

Were have you been driving your car?!
:eek1:

It happened to me once, had three nails of the kind you use for wood construction in one tire.
November 05, 2015 08:14PM
Those are some really agressive tires. Must be great in the snow and ice. Just don't get run over by a car that could not stop on the ice.
:burnout:

Bob in Lake Havasu
November 05, 2015 08:18PM
At first I thought they might be machining chips from some machine tool operation but they look very uniform so not likely that. Maybe Ove is correct.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login