April 30, 2015 03:59AM
http://www.avisbestroad.com/uk/the-top-25-roads/

The road in first place is over here near me.
The problem with driving in scenic roads is you can either drive or check the scenery. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
April 30, 2015 05:00AM
Jose Pinto
http://www.avisbestroad.com/uk/the-top-25-roads/

The road in first place is over here near me.
The problem with driving in scenic roads is you can either drive or check the scenery. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Number 21 is close to me. There are places along the route where you can stop and enjoy the
scenery. I have also gone up this road a couple of times on bicycle, where you have more time
to see the view.
April 30, 2015 09:45AM
Ove Kvam

Number 21 is close to me. There are places along the route where you can stop and enjoy the
scenery. I have also gone up this road a couple of times on bicycle, where you have more time
to see the view.

Looks a bit steep to ride the bike! I prefer to ride in leveled roads.

They are running a competition and the prize is flight ot Portugal, a weeks holiday and a Mercedes Benz to drive.
I already have all that, thank you!
Am I a privileged person, or what?!

The theory behind the criteria of selection is interesting though:
http://www.avisbestroad.com/downloads/V8%20ADR%20-%20the%20workings.pdf

Sometimes I need good examples to explain why my kids should study their math, beyond "because I said so".

JP
April 30, 2015 10:31AM
I like that kind of math/physics, but I disagree on many of the assumptions. A formula one will perhaps do 5G at high speed, but not at low speed. It lacks downforce.
They also assume constant acceleration, while most cars accelerate a lot better at low speeds than high speeds.

When I am driving on a twisty road, I don't finish the braking before the corners, and start accelerating after the road is straight again. I brake deep into the corners, and accelerate through the rest of the corner.

When I drive alone, I prefer an ADR ratio of zero! :-)
May 11, 2015 03:08AM
Ove Kvam
I like that kind of math/physics, but I disagree on many of the assumptions. A formula one will perhaps do 5G at high speed, but not at low speed. It lacks downforce.
They also assume constant acceleration, while most cars accelerate a lot better at low speeds than high speeds.

When I am driving on a twisty road, I don't finish the braking before the corners, and start accelerating after the road is straight again. I brake deep into the corners, and accelerate through the rest of the corner.

When I drive alone, I prefer an ADR ratio of zero! :-)

Ove, your driving skill and personal preference are rather atypical.

The math behind the this takes several "short cuts" as you noticed.
For my personal taste in driving, I like the road to have all turns built to a radius that allow me to cruise and steer around most of them without need to do much braking and accelerating. I do so in my daily commute, and end up turning a bit fast in the mercedes ex-taxi, eating up tires real fast, but it cant accelerate quickly out of the curves.
I believe the assumption of constant acceleration to keep formulae simple, is totally off reality.

Plus, when driving in a road i don't know, I must keep a safe margin "for error", as i can only see the turns as they unfold in front of me, I can't tell a 60º from a 90º until i am deep into the turn, so I brake early and then accelerate out of the corner, most times exit the turn at full acceleration. I believe this is much different from a constant lateral acceleration.
I value much a long straight from time to time, to stretch 3rd gear, otherwise is just cruising after the slowest moving vehicle ahead.

The article was still a valuable effort to a systematic approach,

:rally:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login