Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Forum respect...

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
July 26, 2014 08:42PM
I can hardly believe that this is one of the few forums on the internet where I feel like I belong and where, for the most part, my opinions and knowledge are appreciated.

I belong to several other forums with different subject matter and it seems that all of them attract trolls and those of feeble mind who take joy in causing enthusiastic and knowledgeable people grief.

For example, on a couple of watch forums, I have posted threads about certain watch movements that I know inside out; even better than my former knowledge of the E30; and the discussion nearly always decends into name calling and stupidity by people who have no knowledge about the topic.
This sort of behaviour can ruin ones enthusiasm and interest in a particular area.

I curtailed my involvement there and got interested in green energy; photocells, wind power, etc. It wasn't long before the same mini brained types came along and did their number. Hell, I wasn't even proposing anything, just asking questions since I am in learning mode.

Seems like the Internet has become a place for the sick and weak to come and shit on anyone who has a single IQ rating 1 digit above theirs.

When I get enough money together, I'm buying another E30 so I can once again belong to a fraternity of like minded people without the social misfits ruining our obsession.

Ok...rant over.

Just remember this was my first real Internet forum experience and nothing has since come close to it!
July 27, 2014 02:40AM
Well, the good thing about this forum is that it's never been overly populated. It gave us the chance to get one another a bit and even though most of us haven't met in person, we got a chance to start respecting each other. The fact that the forum and a lot of its users re-appeared after shutting down and getting too much spam and shutting down again and... says enough. We don't only share an interest, we also share the respect for each other. We don't even need to agree to respect each other, just respect another's opinion.

I've been on multiple forums myself, but is the only one I'm still frequenting. Ask why... At first I came for the good E30 knowledge, now I just hop in once in a while to see what's up.

One more thing: you don't need to have an E30 to belong to a fraternity. You are part of the fraternity, it may have started off with an E30 but it has grown further.

Enjoy your Sunday!
July 27, 2014 03:04AM
I follow several well behaved forums. One of them is rather special. There is pretty much no moderation, and people
write pretty much what they think, without filters. Still, nobody will get offended, as they know nothing is meant to harm.
It is all for fun. Real trolls would get bored very quickly, since there is nobody to offend.
July 27, 2014 03:48PM
Really, this group is something else.

The Portuguese Mercedes Benz forum a am participating sucks big time compared to this one.
Plus, few can write anything worth reading, most just brag how good their cars look, others about how they pour money into them and such...

Back in the day this forum was really busy, there were trolls as well and they were properly dealt with.
And the Trolls are eventually went trolling somewhere else, and the group continued strong.

I love it here.
:cool2:
July 27, 2014 06:16PM
I like this fourm too. I have been helped greatly with problems I had when I first got my cabrio 10 years ago and many times since.
Hopefully, I have been able to pass along some help to others as well.

Bob in Lake Havasu
August 02, 2014 02:53PM
I agree. This is a good forum. I've looked at some threads on other forums, especially looking for information on the E34, and I have found some good information, but the signal to noise ratio is a lot lower than it is here.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2014 02:54PM by John Yust.
September 09, 2014 03:44PM
I also agree that this forum is atypical. Nice people with interesting ideas, that are discussed with respect.

I have joined the 5 series forum since I bought my 2005 545 and it isn't bad, but is mostly for those who want to talk about their mods and how come they are having problems with their cars, when I know that most of their problems are due to their mods!

salut, Bob P.

PS. I do miss our technical discussions with Vlad and Cab, however.smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2014 03:47PM by Bob P 325is 88.
September 10, 2014 04:13AM
Bob P 325is 88
I also agree that this forum is atypical. Nice people with interesting ideas, that are discussed with respect.

I have joined the 5 series forum since I bought my 2005 545 and it isn't bad, but is mostly for those who want to talk about their mods and how come they are having problems with their cars, when I know that most of their problems are due to their mods!

salut, Bob P.

PS. I do miss our technical discussions with Vlad and Cab, however.smileys with beer

Unlike other cars, there is not much room for improvement on a BMW 5 series, except for accessories and personal taste.
They came awesome cars from the factory, just keep them like that!
:whistle:
September 11, 2014 01:35PM
Jose Pinto
Bob P 325is 88
Unlike other cars, there is not much room for improvement on a BMW 5 series, except for accessories and personal taste.
They came awesome cars from the factory, just keep them like that!
:whistle:

Agreed. These modders want to remove catalysts and bypass 02 sensors, in the belief that they can gain hords of power. Then they wonder why the cars run rich or exhibit other strange behaviour. The N62 engine is a jewel, producing 325 HP and 340 lb-ft torque, from just 4.4 l, with excellent mileage. Difficult to improve on that and maintain reliability. In fact my 545 is rendering for me better mileage than my 88 E30 325is for the same driving conditions. I still think, however, the the inline 6 is smoother and better sounding! :drool:

Salut, Bob P.
rkj
September 28, 2014 06:13PM
I've always found this a neat place too. Lots of very knowledgeable , helpful people that make a habit of sharing, in nice ways most of the time.... To me, all thorough my working life, that's been the big deal... smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login