Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Computer question, loading a new XP windows

Posted by rkj 
rkj
I've got a desktop I need to wipe and format the hard drive and load a new OS (XP windows), is this a hard process and is there a place on the net that will give me good instructions, or can someone here run me through the process? please.

I also have another question; my two lap tops came with four cds for reloading the computer if anything should befall it, just one is the XP and the rest are for other software, right? One is an IBM and the other is an acer.

Regards and thank you, Rick
First make sure you back up everything you want to keep. Then make sure you have the serial number for your copy of XP. Unless your computer is significantly different, you should be able to do the following:

Turn the computer on.
Put the XP disc in.
Restart the computer.
When the computer turns on there should be a screen before the XP loading screen that has the computer brand or something. this is called the BIOS screen. somewhere on the screen there will be some text that says something like "boot options", along with an F-key to press in order to select that option (on my Dell it is F10).
A screen will appear asking you "where would you like to boot from?". select the CD drive, and the XP installer should load. at this point you should be able to tell it to do a clean install and it will format the harddrive before installing the OS.

as for your second question, the CDs should have a description on them. it is likely that one of them is XP and the others are software or drivers for certain components.

microsoft
Method 1: Perform a clean install of Windows XP
A clean installation consists of removing all data from your hard disk by repartitioning and reformatting your hard disk and reinstalling the operating system and programs to an empty (clean) hard disk. For more information about important things to consider before you partition and format you hard disk and how to partition and format your hard disk by using the Windows XP Setup program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
313348 How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP
To perform a clean installation of Windows XP, follow these steps:
Back up all important information before you perform a clean installation of Windows XP. Save the backup to an external location, such as a CD or external hard disk.
Start your computer from the Windows XP CD. To do this, insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.

Note To boot from your Windows XP CD, the BIOS settings on your computer must be configured to do this.
When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.
Read the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then press F8.
Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Windows XP Setup.

rkj
daniel
First make sure you back up everything you want to keep. Then make sure you have the serial number for your copy of XP. Unless your computer is significantly different, you should be able to do the following:

Turn the computer on.
Put the XP disc in.
Restart the computer.
When the computer turns on there should be a screen before the XP loading screen that has the computer brand or something. this is called the BIOS screen. somewhere on the screen there will be some text that says something like "boot options", along with an F-key to press in order to select that option (on my Dell it is F10).
A screen will appear asking you "where would you like to boot from?". select the CD drive, and the XP installer should load. at this point you should be able to tell it to do a clean install and it will format the harddrive before installing the OS.

Thank You Daniel, I'll print all this out and give it a whirl. It does not sound that hard (famous last words!) and it is something I've wanted to be able to do for years...

I've got some new innerds for the desktop and will keep you posted when everything gets together smiling bouncing smiley

Cheers

as for your second question, the CDs should have a description on them. it is likely that one of them is XP and the others are software or drivers for certain components.

microsoft
A clean installation consists of removing all data from your hard disk by repartitioning and reformatting your hard disk and reinstalling the operating system and programs to an empty (clean) hard disk. For more information about important things to consider before you partition and format you hard disk and how to partition and format your hard disk by using the Windows XP Setup program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Back up all important information before you perform a clean installation of Windows XP. Save the backup to an external location, such as a CD or external hard disk.
Start your computer from the Windows XP CD. To do this, insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.

Note To boot from your Windows XP CD, the BIOS settings on your computer must be configured to do this.
When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD.
Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.
rkj
rkj
daniel

Turn the computer on.
Put the XP disc in.
Restart the computer.

Thank You Daniel, I'll print all this out and give it a whirl. It does not sound that hard (famous last words!) and it is something I've wanted to be able to do for years...

I've got some new innerds for the desktop and will keep you posted when everything gets together smiling bouncing smiley

Cheers

microsoft

Oops (smooth Rick), should have scrolled that down a touch first, anyway, my reply is in there Daniel! and Thank You again smileys with beer

I'll give a closer look at those load CD's and see if I can make some sense out of them; both laptops came with four each but I'm pretty sure they are just numbered....nothing else.
Why would you want to reload XP when we have so many people telling us that Linux is the way to go? I am about ready to blow my hard drive and do it myself. Maybe I don't need a new system after all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login