what's left of my E36...

Posted by jaffar 
May 10, 2013 04:58AM
Here's what a 20 year old E36 looks like:

[attachment 179 IMGP5333s.jpg]
[attachment 180 IMGP5340s.jpg]
[attachment 181 IMAG0914s.jpg]

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2013 04:58AM by jaffar.
Attachments:
open | download - IMGP5333s.jpg (192.1 KB)
open | download - IMGP5340s.jpg (175.2 KB)
open | download - IMAG0914s.jpg (83.8 KB)
May 11, 2013 09:13AM
I thought they were better corrosion protected than that. My E-30 gets driven all winter and has not rusted yet.

Bob in Lake Havasu
May 11, 2013 02:49PM
Why are your car being cut in pieces? Are you restoring that rusted areas or dismantling it? :confused:

Is the weather where you live terribly moist?
Once I saw a parts Mercedes Benz w124 so rusted, if you locked a cat inside, it could find it's way out...
The car happened to live near the sea all it's life.
May 12, 2013 01:29AM
If you strip off the paint, you'd be surprised...
May 13, 2013 05:57AM
Full story goes like this :

- car sold in Spain in 1993, new
- brought to a small city in Romania in 1999
- brought to Bucharest in 2004
- I bought it in 2006

Before 2006, some idiots repaired (poorly) both front side panels and for some reason decided to remove the rubber sealing between the side panel and the plastic covering (piece 16 in the diagram: [www.realoem.com] ). I knew nothing about that, so I kept driving. After a long time, someone noticed I am missing the sealings. I bought them immediately, but the damage was already done. I am not sure if this is the main cause though - everyone around here tells me that this is a known problem with the E36. The car looked almost perfect 2 years ago, but last year when I tried to replace the front left wheel, the jack raised but the car did not. Under, I found the horror that you see in the photos above. So it's pretty accurate that only paint was holding everything smiling smiley

After 2 weeks in the shop, it got better:

[attachment 182 IMAG0909s.jpg]
[attachment 183 IMAG0911s.jpg]
[attachment 184 IMAG0917s.jpg]
[attachment 185 IMAG0919s.jpg]

Of course I was not happy with it (yes, I am very anal about my car) so I told them to try again. I am not sure about the iron job, but the paint job was horrible.

And guess what, the workers removed the rubber sealings ! First they claimed that they never existed, but then they magically found them stored away. They told me that I should not put them on the car, that they do not protect it from water. So at least two idiots in the world believe this !

After one more week, I picked her up and sadly thought that if the quality of the iron works matched the one of the paint job, then this would be the end of her. I decided to keep her for the winter (major fun with the LSD) and when it rusts again, just take it to the car graveyard. Our government contributed to this decision, when they set up the environment tax of about 800 EUR for this car, in case I found someone to buy it.

Then guess what, on the way back to the office, I sold her ! I hope she will give the new owner the same pleasure she gave me, although I never 100% loved her like I loved the E30 smiling smiley
So now I only have a summer car. Today it's raining and I'm not sure if I should take the Z4 out of the garage smiling smiley

Sorry for the long and boring post.

tl;dr - just enjoy the pictures smiling smiley

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG0909s.jpg (147.5 KB)
open | download - IMAG0911s.jpg (119.3 KB)
open | download - IMAG0917s.jpg (171.5 KB)
open | download - IMAG0919s.jpg (194 KB)
May 13, 2013 08:48AM
Interesting story!

My car must have some stories that I ignore on it's 25 years of running around Europe...
:mmbeer:

It has a fair share of rust underneath but no holes so far...
And the paint is old, so no cover-up was done recently.

Glad you found a good home for your e36!
Time to enjoy the Z4 now!
winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login