Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A little help, please.

Posted by rkj 
rkj
March 30, 2013 08:04PM
So, at long last I have a computer again! After my T41 Ibm took a powder a year ago I finally replaced with a T43. Now I have to back up all the great programs that came on it. Can I make cds off my computer so if I loose this one I'll have back up? I'm running XP on a pc.

I've never done this :eyes:

Thanks and Best Regards, Rick

perseverance furthers
March 31, 2013 08:43AM
Sure; you can back up anything but you will have to reinstall any programs no matter if they are backed up or not.
Backups are only good for data, pictures and video stuff.

There are programs that let you make an exact bit for bit copy of your hard drive that can then be simply transferred to a new fresh hard drive. But the original has to be in working order first.

Check out a program called Akronis.
March 31, 2013 09:23AM
Can you take the hard drive from the old computer and install in the new one? Make it the D or E drive and just copy the files from it to the C.

Bob in Lake Havasu
April 01, 2013 06:19PM
Bob in Everett
Can you take the hard drive from the old computer and install in the new one? Make it the D or E drive and just copy the files from it to the C.

Could be done, but being a laptop it may void the warranty by doing that.
There are those external drive boxes, to mount the old hard drive inside and hook up to the USB port, may be a way.
The old programs have to be installed fresh on the new computer.
rkj
April 01, 2013 08:29PM
Archeo-peteriX
Sure; you can back up anything but you will have to reinstall any programs no matter if they are backed up or not.
Backups are only good for data, pictures and video stuff.

There are programs that let you make an exact bit for bit copy of your hard drive that can then be simply transferred to a new fresh hard drive. But the original has to be in working order first.

Check out a program called Akronis.

Right, I guess I wasn't thinking when I wrote that. In add and remove most of the neat stuff has internet links so maybe I'll be able to run down the sites so I can download the stuff thats worthwhile... And, If I wanted to load Microsoft Office again I would have to have the COA, which I don't have anyway.

Thanks Peter, I'll check Akronis, what is it anyway? I looked at it but it needs further investaging by this rookie.
rkj
April 01, 2013 08:37PM
Bob in Everett

Yes, I plan to try that Bob (the hard drives come right out with one screw). I was just a little scared to mess with the one computer that works! It took a while to get this bad boy. I did buy another though so as soon as it comes I plan to try old hard drive smileys with beer in it. It's kind of cool, these T series Ibms have a cd/dvd bay that comes out and you can put in another hard drive. I did get all the stuff to do this too.

My computer education continues!
rkj
April 01, 2013 08:43PM
Jose Pinto
Bob in Everett

There are those external drive boxes, to mount the old hard drive inside and hook up to the USB port, may be a way.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about warranties! I was thinking of getting a decent sized external hard drive too. That would free up some SD cards and give me some room for video storage.

My video editing education continues...

Thanks Jose
April 02, 2013 08:08AM
Akronis is a tool that lets you make a back up of a hard drive. It does a complete bit by bit copy so that you can just copy it back to a new disk and won't have to reinstall the apps. It's especially good if you have lost the COA for the OS and other apps.

BTW...there are other apps available that will find your passwords and COA or registration numbers for apps that have them :cool2:
April 02, 2013 08:10AM
Jose Pinto
Bob in Everett

I have one of those external hard drive boxes that plug into the USB port and it works fine.
As mentioned above; the program called Akronis will allow the complete copying of the old hard drive without needing to reinstall the apps or the OS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 08:11AM by Archeo-peteriX.
April 02, 2013 05:23PM
Archeo-peteriX
I have one of those external hard drive boxes that plug into the USB port and it works fine.
As mentioned above; the program called Akronis will allow the complete copying of the old hard drive without needing to reinstall the apps or the OS.

In that case, the drivers of the new hardware must be installed on the "old" disk so the computer works right. Still much faster than install the OS and all programs again...Some CD or DVD came with the computer with everything ready so it's just throw it in the drive and click "OK".
Good luck!
rkj
So today I got my third T series Ibm (I swear, it's my last one!), a new looking T43p 15 inch laptop. I took a hard drive out of my other machines, an earlier T43 15 incher and it fired up perfectly, well, okay maybe not perfectly but it did work outside of no sound and it wouldn't sleep when I closed the cover.... But wait a minute, thats what the computer did when this hard drive was in there too!

Okay, I think I've made progress, at least when I tried a third hard drive (from my 100% working T43 14 inch) it went to sleep alright, so it seems it's in the hardware (disk drive) not the computer itself, I was hoping. The computer still didn't totally like that hard drive so I couldn't tell about the no sound thing but I put everything back and this little machine is running fine. I think not all XP opertingCD's are the same either, the lastest version I have is 2002 sp2 and these machines are all around 2005 so maybe I'm picking up problems there.

I tried up-dating to the 3 service pack but I guess I didn't have the right site or doption to download it, I thought it would just be an up-grade and would come on the automatic up-grade thingy like my office Acer does :eyes:

Anyway, I wish I had a forum to bat this back and forth on but I wonder if the lenovo folks might help, I got on their site today and downloaded a few things to study so maybe I'll just continue with that for awhile...

Cheers, Rick.....so much to learn, I'm still trying to get this new hard drive to load and none of my computers (my 3 think pads that all take the same kind) seem to reconize that there's any hard drive in the machine and wants to stop the XP from loading.... very frustrating, just like this no spell check thing here on this site. It works everywhere else but here! Anybody know why that could be?
rkj
So it turns out I did get the right site for the service pack three for my XP 2 OS and it loaded wonderful. If anybody needs it I saved the site address. I also emailed the fella who sold me the last T43p and he said he would install the new hard drive and get all the bugs out if I paid the shipping, which I might just do cause I'm getting nowhere with this one :eyes: It's to bad, I thought I could reason these few problems out but after using all the bios upgrades and new patches and drivers from the Ibm site I'm still with the same problems; won't sleep when I close the cover, no sound and the XP does not have a stand by option.... Oh well, I'm still learning and plan to buy a book and do some reading so I can get to the bottom of things (I've got a T43 that still has those same issues) so we'll see what I can find. If anybody knows, what I should be looking in to like bios and/or what reading would relate it would be a big help. I'm thinking Ibm computers are? the same as others? but I have no real idea...

Cheers, Rick
Rick, the sleep on closing is typically a button that gets depressed when you close the laptop (just like a door jamb dome light switch). Google "windows xp power options". It could also be that the bios setting for power options is not set correctly. It is the ACPI settings.

Here is a start:

[www.microsoft.com]

Let's see if we can solve this for you. If not, we will just have to spend a weekend in the Hamptons. I know, it's extreme, but you have to do this stuff for friends.
rkj
alanrw
Rick, the sleep on closing is typically a button that gets depressed when you close the laptop (just like a door jamb dome light switch). Google "windows xp power options". It could also be that the bios setting for power options is not set correctly. It is the ACPI settings.

Here is a start:

[www.microsoft.com]

Let's see if we can solve this for you. If not, we will just have to spend a weekend in the Hamptons. I know, it's extreme, but you have to do this stuff for friends.

whoa, now thats something to read!....cool Alan, thanks.

And about that weekend in the Hamptons, there's some pretty niffty beaches smileys with beer
rkj
Oh well, I'm still learning and plan to buy a book and do some reading so I can get to the bottom of things (I've got a T43 that still has those same issues) so we'll see what I can find.

Why buy a book when there's two friends to help you out. One is called Mr Google and the other one is BMWE30NETWORK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2013 01:22PM by Michiel 318iS.
rkj
Michiel 318iS
rkj
Oh well, I'm still learning and plan to buy a book and do some reading so I can get to the bottom of things (I've got a T43 that still has those same issues) so we'll see what I can find.

Why buy a book when there's two friends to help you out. One is called Mr Google and the other one is BMWE30NETWORK.

Well, I agree and I've had it in the back of my mind that all these problems I'm having are rooted in the Bios part of the machine. Too bad I'm completely ingnorant in that dept. But, there are a few things I thought I noticed reading through all the Microsoft XP stuff so I'm going to reread and really spend some time trying to figure these things out. I'm pretty sure I have exhausted all the usual XP program adjustments. I like a good challange eye rolling smiley and if my world here stays in orbit for more than a few days straight I'll have the time to devote....

One things for sure, I'd really like to do this because I love computers, have from the start!
Do you know how to get into the bios program at startup? Usually, a quick message will display telling you to hit the del key or an F something key to enter the bios program. Don't change anything, just get in a have a look. We can help you after that.

Check this out as well:

[support.lenovo.com]

Again, just read, don't change anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2013 04:55PM by alanrw.
rkj
alanrw
Do you know how to get into the bios program at startup? Usually, a quick message will display telling you to hit the del key or an F something key to enter the bios program. Don't change anything, just get in a have a look. We can help you after that.

Check this out as well:

[support.lenovo.com]

Reading smileys with beer
rkj
alanrw

Check this out as well:

[support.lenovo.com]

Thanks Alan, just for fun I'm going to say a few things more on this wild goose chase I'm on. I sent one of my machines out for help but I still have this one I'd really like to figure out!, So, this is the fun part, both machines have the same issues. I'm wondering if these sound like things that could be in the bios settings, it's easy to access on an Ibm computer. I just don't know what to do when I'm in there!
1) won't go on sleep if I close the lid, and can't manually do it either
2) no sound, when I go into the program it says "no audio device"
3) can't get the center scroll button to work
4) won't reconize new hard drive
5) no stand by option when signing off

I've downloaded all the drivers but after reading all the data sheets on them I think I might be missing somethings putting them in action; some seem to have certain proceedures to activate the, and some need acompaning programs..... This stuff gets harder the more you try to learn. I'd like to take a course or twoconfused smiley

Anyway, thanks for all the input, Rick
I just got myself a IBM Thinkpad, marked as R60e, with an Intel T2400 with 1GB RAM.
It runs Win. XP, and sure enough the sound and all works fine.

Perhaps I will need to go through this thread with more attention...
It has years of use, and came to me as Education Ministry surplus.
Rick, are you familiar with Device Manager? If you go in there, you will see all you devices listed. If there is a yellow exclamation point, usually that means there is a problem with the device. But if it won't even recognize the new hard drive, I don't understand how you can get windows to start!!. The deal with sound is most likely a driver issue. Possibly the same for the scrolling button but that could also be a setting in Pointing devices in Control panel.

Best move, try to solve one issue at a time. Have fun with it, it isn't life and death...............................yet.

Also, at this point, if you are really frustrated, find a 13 year old kid....they seem to be genetically predisposed to solving this stuff, no joke. Perhaps post a help wanted card at the local market if they have a community board or something like that.

alan
rkj
alanrw
Rick, are you familiar with Device Manager? If you go in there, you will see all you devices listed. If there is a yellow exclamation point, usually that means there is a problem with the device. But if it won't even recognize the new hard drive, I don't understand how you can get windows to start!!. The deal with sound is most likely a driver issue. Possibly the same for the scrolling button but that could also be a setting in Pointing devices in Control panel.

Best move, try to solve one issue at a time. Have fun with it, it isn't life and death...............................yet.

Also, at this point, if you are really frustrated, find a 13 year old kid....they seem to be genetically predisposed to solving this stuff, no joke. Perhaps post a help wanted card at the local market if they have a community board or something like that.

alan

Hey Alan, Thanks. All your ideas are great. Actualy device manger and troubleshoot and the drivers were the first place I looked.... and looked and looked but nothing came of it although I did get the center track button to work. I could've had a corrupted driver or something. But sadly still no sound. I even went so far as to buy this "driver finder" that loads and installs and does a system check. Well, that was 30 bucks out the window! That's okay, I feel like I've started my education and I'm rockin it!

I was in the bios and changed a few things I could understand but left most all of it alone. I do plan to take more notes as I go and then google things to try and find out more, actually though, the T40 series notebooks are wonderful to work with; when you land on something in bios there is a right side of the screen that tells you all about what's highlighted but like I said, alot of it is still greek to me now (but not for long!).

The one thinkpad I'm working on is running fine and, even with an internet wireless thingy sticking out the side of it, works fine. Too bad there's no sound but Hey, I'm glad to have a real laptop for the house and soon, hopefully, the one getting fixed will be back in a week or two smileys with beer And I'm learning stuff all the time, which is totally good :cool2:

I'm going to keep this thread going just so as I find interesting stuff I'll have a place to document things.

For now, Rick out :bow:
Keep at it. Is there a speaker icon on the taskbar? Click it and make sure the volume is all the way up. (ask me why I know this :rolleyes:)
rkj
alanrw
Keep at it. Is there a speaker icon on the taskbar? Click it and make sure the volume is all the way up. (ask me why I know this :rolleyes:)

O yeah, I've been there and below, way in to the beast. Pretty soon I'm going inside the machine itself! I must have sound!
Rick, do you get sound when you plug headphones into the sound jack on the side of the laptop?

alan
rkj
alanrw
Rick, do you get sound when you plug headphones into the sound jack on the side of the laptop?

alan

No Alan, nothing anywhere, and when I go in to the sound folder it tells me there's no sound device. In bios all sounds are turned on and the latest drivers are in here but still nada.
Rick, try this one:

Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Adminstrative Tools->Services

Then locate in the list of services "Windows Audio". Open this service

If this service is showing with a Startup type set to Disabled then Select "Automatic" from the drop down list then hit apply. Then click the "Start" button.

If this service is showing with a Startup type set to Manual then Select "Automatic" from the drop down list then hit apply. Then click the "Start" button.

Next Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices then select the Volume Tab then put a tick in the box marked "Place Volume Icon in the Task Bar" then click apply.

With a bit of luck and following wind you should now have your sound restored.
alan
rkj
alanrw
Rick, try this one:

Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Adminstrative Tools->Services

Then locate in the list of services "Windows Audio". Open this service

If this service is showing with a Startup type set to Disabled then Select "Automatic" from the drop down list then hit apply. Then click the "Start" button.

If this service is showing with a Startup type set to Manual then Select "Automatic" from the drop down list then hit apply. Then click the "Start" button.

Next Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices then select the Volume Tab then put a tick in the box marked "Place Volume Icon in the Task Bar" then click apply.

With a bit of luck and following wind you should now have your sound restored.
alan

Thank you Alan, I went in to services and the windows audio was on automatic, so I turned it to manual and then back to auto hoping to reset it but nothing changed and when I went back to sounds, speech and audio devices it still has "no audio device" in the rectanglar box, likewise in the volume boxes. I then spent some time (in services, never been there before) trying all kinds of things but I never got the start box to become active but I did get a drop down to restart so I tryed that a few times and still nothing.... Crap! I thought I was close there for a moment.... smileys with beer
We'll get there. I have a couple of machines at the office running XP, the machine I am on is Win7. I will check tomorrow.

alan
Rick, I re-read the thread and if I am reading correctly, you have several sorta similar laptops and you have been switching hard drives, right? If that is the case, I bet you have drivers on the hard drive for sound card A but you have sound card B hardware on the machine. Is this the case, because if so, we need to approach this slightly differently.

alan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login