Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trunk-lid Toolkit

Posted by Ferdinand 
February 28, 2013 11:14AM
After the huge dump of snow that we got last night, I had to get up a little earlier this morning to shovel out the driveway. Mission accomplished, and all sweaty from the hard work, I moved the car back into the newly cleaned driveway and intended to go back into the house to have a shower before heading off to the office.

Except, I discovered I had locked myself out of the house! :doh:

On the way out I must have bumped up against the button that locks the screen door on our front entrance. It's locked tight now. #$%!

If this was summer there would only be a screen in the door and I could easily push that out. But in the winter the door has a glass window in it and I really don't want to break that.

My wife had already left for work earlier. My neighbour, who keeps a spare set of keys to our house, had also already left. What to do? What to do?

No house keys, but I do have my car keys. I could just drive to the office for the day in my sweat-soaked snow-shoveling clothes. Nah.

Hmmm, car keys. There are tools in the trunk!

Eureka! Grabbed the pliers, pulled the pins out of the screen door hinges, lifted the entire door out of the frame, and presto, I'm in!

First time I ever used any of those tools in the trunk. I'm amazed I remembered they were there.
February 28, 2013 03:17PM
Ferdinand
First time I ever used any of those tools in the trunk. I'm amazed I remembered they were there.
Good work! I always forget they're there, too, but then since I always keep a "real" (albeit small) toolbox in the trunk, that toy set in the trunk lid doesn't really serve much purpose for me. But it's still kinda cool that BMW thought enough of their customers to give them a set of tools to work on the car. smiling smiley

February 28, 2013 03:20PM
BTW, what's that plastic thing in the lower left corner? Whatever it is, mine is missing it.

February 28, 2013 03:24PM
Dave_G
BTW, what's that plastic thing in the lower left corner? Whatever it is, mine is missing it.

That is the tip for the muffler bearing oiler :lol:
February 28, 2013 04:22PM
Now you know how easy it is to break into your house. :cry:

alan
February 28, 2013 05:48PM
alanrw
Now you know how easy it is to break into your house. :cry:

alan

My house is easy to break into...it's just that there is nothing but junk inside; so it would be a lot of wasted effort to do so :mrgreen:
February 28, 2013 08:55PM
Yes, what is that plastic thing in the lower left corner? I do not have one.

Bob in Lake Havasu
March 01, 2013 09:59AM
Actually, exterior doors are supposed to open in so that the hinge pins are on the inside of the house for security purposes. If they are on the outside of the house, they can be driven out and the door removed.

alan
March 01, 2013 12:09PM
Then you either lost it or you have manual windows. It serves to manually open a failed electric window on the earlier models.
March 01, 2013 01:06PM
Pffttt, all I was given for failed windows was an S shaped allenwrench in the glove box!!!

alan
March 02, 2013 03:07AM
Since then known as the alanwrench
March 05, 2013 04:35PM
Michiel 318iS
Since then known as the alanwrench

Very good, Michiel, the Alanwrench!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
rkj
March 05, 2013 10:03PM
Ferdinand
After the huge dump of snow that we got last night, I had to get up a little earlier this morning to shovel out the driveway. Mission accomplished, and all sweaty from the hard work, I moved the car back into the newly cleaned driveway and intended to go back into the house to have a shower before heading off to the office.

Except, I discovered I had locked myself out of the house! :doh:

On the way out I must have bumped up against the button that locks the screen door on our front entrance. It's locked tight now. #$%!

If this was summer there would only be a screen in the door and I could easily push that out. But in the winter the door has a glass window in it and I really don't want to break that.

My wife had already left for work earlier. My neighbour, who keeps a spare set of keys to our house, had also already left. What to do? What to do?

No house keys, but I do have my car keys. I could just drive to the office for the day in my sweat-soaked snow-shoveling clothes. Nah.

Hmmm, car keys. There are tools in the trunk!

Eureka! Grabbed the pliers, pulled the pins out of the screen door hinges, lifted the entire door out of the frame, and presto, I'm in!

This is so funny, but nice going Ferdinand. I think those silly tools have come in handy a few times also smileys with beer
March 27, 2013 09:37AM
Over here, on a clean model e30, a complete original tool kit is very sought after and a big bargining point during the sale, a car with a complete, original tool kit will easily fetch 2000 - 3000 ZAR more than the identical car without.
Even better if it also has the original, portable flashlight in the glovebox.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.
rkj
March 28, 2013 02:32PM
Flyboy
Over here, on a clean model e30, a complete original tool kit is very sought after and a big bargining point during the sale, a car with a complete, original tool kit will easily fetch 2000 - 3000 ZAR more than the identical car without.
Even better if it also has the original, portable flashlight in the glovebox.

I think you can still buy those flash lights from Bmw, about 30 bucks if I remember correctly.

Rick
March 31, 2013 06:18PM
My 84 didn't come with the flashlight but it did come with that tape casette cleaning kit with the casette that you put denatured alchohol on and then insert it into the tape deck.

alan
April 01, 2013 07:09PM
I still have one of those tape cleaning kits. Mine came with a 6 disk cd changer in the trunk too but the moisture condensation inside it finally took its toll and the mechanism no longer works correctly. Wish I could find a replacement that just plugs in directly. I like the simplicity of the stock radio.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login