Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Square light on timer button stays on (OBC)

Posted by rkj 
rkj
Hi guys, on my 88 325is the timer button on the OBC the square lamp in the button stays on even when the key is off and out. The button under it (that starts the timer), when you hit it that same lamp comes on bright and starts the timer as usual but when the timer is shut off the low brightness light never goes out. Anybody know anything about this?

This just started one day on it's own, nothing seems to have caused it... :sad1:
I have taken one apart, it has a metal dome that makes contact with a circuit board when you press the button down. It is supposed to pop back up when released. I bet yours is permanently deformed. I think I have a spare, let me know. The OBC has to come out for the repair, kinda a pain.

alan
The OBC in my previous 86 325 didn't have that "feature", but my 1990 325is has been like that since I got it. Same thing, the red LED on the timer button is always on.
Just went out and checked mine. Keys out of ignition, Timer function led is off.

alan
alanrw
I have taken one apart, it has a metal dome that makes contact with a circuit board when you press the button down. It is supposed to pop back up when released. I bet yours is permanently deformed.
All the buttons on my OBC click the same way when pushed. The timer function works too. Click the 'timer' button to select that function, then the 'set' button to start/stop the timer. While the timer is running the LED lights up brighter. When the timer is not running the LED is less brightly lit, but it's always on, even with the ignition key removed.
Boy, now you guys have me. I wonder if the design changed? Mine is a 1984. Of course, I never could figure out why I needed a timer in the first place.

alan
rkj
alanrw
Boy, now you guys have me. I wonder if the design changed? Mine is a 1984. Of course, I never could figure out why I needed a timer in the first place.

alan

Hi Alan, On my 88 325is it was never like it is now; the led timer button has always been off when the key was shut off. It's only lately it has started staying on. I would guess (but don't really know) the difference between the bright and dim led in the button has to do with day/night time running and the headlights being on or off.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Rick
rkj
Oh, and I think that function (timer mode) would come in handy if you were to ralley the car. Right Ferdy?
rkj
Oh, and I think that function (timer mode) would come in handy if you were to ralley the car. Right Ferdy?
I rally my iX all the time, and that timer function is... useless. It's a whole lot easier to use a stopwatch, or in my case, a big clock app on my phone velcroed to a big clipboard.

The only time I have ever used the timer was to determine which of two routes home from work was faster. (The longer route was faster by an average of 15 seconds. smiling smiley)

The only button on the OBC that I have found useful in rallying is the Average Speed function, but since it's not legal to use when I run stock class in the U.S., I only get to use it when I go to Canada. smiling smiley

alan
rkj
alanrw
Hmmm, I guess you could swap out the computer to see if that makes a difference but is it really worth the effort for one led? None of the other dash lights are on with the key out?

alan

No, That's the only thing that stays on. If Ferd can live with it so can I, no biggy.... I just thought it might be a programable error, like when you set the engine kill switch/alarm codes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login