Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

intermittent turn signal.

Posted by Bob in Lake Havasu 
rkj
December 15, 2012 01:04PM
Dave_G
rkj
Are these older air bags something one wants to be in front of, seems like a libabilty to me.
People always worry about old air bags exploding in their faces prematurely, but I challenge anyone to document a case of this ever happening. It seems to me that if this were a real threat, we'd have heard about it by now. Instead all we hear about are people afraid of it.

On the other hand, I can offer an anecdote of one old air bag functioning perfectly well. My track car (a Miata) is also driven on the street now and then, so I keep it registered, and in my state in order to pass its annual inspection I'm required to keep the air bag. It's a 1990, i.e. the first year that air bags were installed in all U.S. cars (IIRC), so it's about as old as an air bag can be. A couple years ago I missed the apex badly in Turn 2 at Mont Tremblant, tracked out onto the grass, and slid down the hill about 100 yards before smacking nose-first into the Armco at about 60 MPH. I can report that the 20-year old air bag deployed exactly as designed. Of course, between the 6-point racing harness, racing seat, helmet, and head-and-neck restraint, the air bag was entirely superfluous, and I don't think it even reached my face. But it definitely deployed as intended. (BTW, I was fine.)

FWIW, I keep the air bag in my E30. As a volunteer firefighter and EMT, I've responded to countless accident scenes and have seen first-hand the good they do. Of course there are horror stories too, and rare occasions when they do more harm than good, but IME on balance they are a Good Thing. YMMV

Thanks Dave, I'm feeling better already smileys with beer I have to ask, what's an Armco?

Rick
December 15, 2012 03:12PM
rkj
I have to ask, what's an Armco?
Armco=guardrail (named after the steel company that used to make them)

i.e., this:

December 15, 2012 10:22PM
Dave,
Thanks for looking up that article. I think it is the answer to why the technitian was not able to reset my light. In reading it and another I found in that process, I found a document that lists codes that the blinking light identifes. It also includes a caveat to disconnect the battery prior to removing the airbag which I know that the guy did not do. I have an appointment to have him use his tool again using that article.

Bob

Bob in Lake Havasu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login