Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Frame diagram

Posted by Mhenry 
November 07, 2012 05:17PM
I'm looking for a detailed frame diagram so I can straighten my 88 ix front right strut tower back to spec. Does anybody know where to find this?

Tia

Mike
November 07, 2012 07:01PM
Mhenry
I'm looking for a detailed frame diagram so I can straighten my 88 ix front right strut tower back to spec. Does anybody know where to find this?

Tia

Mike

Other than RealOEM parts pics; I don't know where you would find that info outside of a body shop confused smiley
November 07, 2012 08:02PM
Archeo-peteriX
Other than RealOEM parts pics; I don't know where you would find that info outside of a body shop confused smiley

Yeah, I'm afraid that I'm with Peter on this. I've never seen anything like this outside of a body shop. I do almost everything myself, but when it comes to chassis straightening, I wouldn't trust the results unless it was on a rack. It's one of those jobs where I'm willing to pay a professional. smiling smiley

November 07, 2012 08:37PM
I've got access to a rack, I just need the proper distance between the 2 front strut towers. The rest of the frame is straight
(As far as I can see)
November 07, 2012 09:23PM
Perhaps the direct approach will work. Just measure an undamaged car.

Bob in Lake Havasu
November 08, 2012 05:15AM
got one?

mike in beverly
November 08, 2012 05:46AM
I'll measure my iX when I get home tonight. I think it's straight. smiling smiley

November 08, 2012 09:27AM
Mhenry
I've got access to a rack, I just need the proper distance between the 2 front strut towers. The rest of the frame is straight
(As far as I can see)

It's probably good to note that the strut tower on the iX is not in the same position as on the regular E30. It has a different angle. So while the distance between the towers is important; so is the front to rear positioning.
November 08, 2012 11:44AM
Had a quick search, didn't check for correctness:

[www.s14.net]
[forums.bimmerforums.com]
[www.r3vlimited.com]
November 08, 2012 03:26PM
Michiel 318iS
Had a quick search, didn't check for correctness:

[www.s14.net]
[forums.bimmerforums.com]
[www.r3vlimited.com]

This saved the day, who can make a "sticky" out of the picture?
[www.s14.net]
November 08, 2012 03:45PM
Well, the problem is that those pictures are for a RWD E30, and Mike has an iX. As Peter says, the front suspension is totally different in an iX, so the measurements will be off.

I missed the chance to measure mine in the daylight today, but I'll try to do it in the morning.

November 10, 2012 06:37AM
Hi Dave--

I'm looking at the cellette drawing that says 556mm to either side, or 1112mm between the two strut towers (outside bolts).
That's 43 3/4" according to my math. What does your car measure between these 2 points?

Much thanks in advance....

Mike
November 10, 2012 08:56AM
OK, here you go:

Between the centers of the strut tower openings: 41 3/4", or 1060mm.

Between the front outer bolt centers: 45 3/8", or 1153mm. This is probably slight overstated, because the tape had to arc over the intake manifold in order to reach.

Good luck!

Click here to login