Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

manual gearbox sometimes reluctant to leave 2nd

Posted by Kelly 
Hello long lost Friends,

I hope this note finds you well. I have been basically under water at work for the last 6 months. I have barely had time to eat or much of anything really. Good news is that I managed to drop Beemie at the mechs for an oil change 2 weeks ago. this has not occured since Feb. I know - bad Kelly.

So here is the odd transmission issue. The mechs told me in Feb that I should just wait and see if it worsens. In the morning when the car is not fully warm yet (the temp needle is past the blue but not fully warm), I drive down a slight hill - maybe 20 degree slope. I must apply a certain force to the stick shift to move the stick out of second gear. The amount of force is variable - some days more than others. This mainly occurs in the am, going down the hill, and moving the stick out of second gear.

Sometimes the transmission resists entering first as well. I try to do a decent job of double clutching when down shifting while powering up San Francisco's hills.

Any thoughts for a wayward BEN-er?

CHEERS, KELLY :-)
Kelly
Hello long lost Friends,

I hope this note finds you well. I have been basically under water at work for the last 6 months. I have barely had time to eat or much of anything really. Good news is that I managed to drop Beemie at the mechs for an oil change 2 weeks ago. this has not occured since Feb. I know - bad Kelly.

So here is the odd transmission issue. The mechs told me in Feb that I should just wait and see if it worsens. In the morning when the car is not fully warm yet (the temp needle is past the blue but not fully warm), I drive down a slight hill - maybe 20 degree slope. I must apply a certain force to the stick shift to move the stick out of second gear. The amount of force is variable - some days more than others. This mainly occurs in the am, going down the hill, and moving the stick out of second gear.

Sometimes the transmission resists entering first as well. I try to do a decent job of double clutching when down shifting while powering up San Francisco's hills.

Any thoughts for a wayward BEN-er?

CHEERS, KELLY :-)

Hi Kelly and welcome back :wavey:

When was the tranny fluid last changed?
Had a similar issue. Turned out the allen head bolt that holds the shifter to the trans was loose enough to cause the linkage to get sticky or jam.

alan
Hi All,

In responce to Peter's question about the trans fluid, I think it was changed a year and a half ago.

I'll ask the mechs about Alan's item as well.

Now I'm off to work again. For good or bad. I think that in 2 weeks that the worst will be over.

:-) Kelly
Kelly
Hi All,

In responce to Peter's question about the trans fluid, I think it was changed a year and a half ago.

I'll ask the mechs about Alan's item as well.

Now I'm off to work again. For good or bad. I think that in 2 weeks that the worst will be over.

:-) Kelly

I hope you mean the carzy work load and not Beemie winking smiley
rkj
Hi Kelly, It might be a clutch, hanging up a touch making it hard to catch gears. Even a slightly dragging clutch will affect shifting (especially, second. It's always the most worn one.).

You should try some redline oil though, it does take a few weeks to a month for it to work in but whatever you have now, it will make it better...

Rick
One caution on the Redline oil...it may cause the seals to shrink a bit and allow it to start leaking.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Bob in Everett
One caution on the Redline oil...it may cause the seals to shrink a bit and allow it to start leaking.

Hi Rick and Bob,

Well I have used the redline fluids in thr transmission and the diff for a few years now. I did not know they could shrink the seals. Should I return to the standard "dinosaur juice" version? I don't race my car. It is a beloved daily driver.

Now I have a new problem. There is an occasional whirring sound. I really thought that another wheel bearing was failing. The mechs checked them. The right front is warn a little but not much. The mechs think in might be the limited slip diff. When the mechs ride in the car with me, the car will not make the sound. So now I guess I'm waiting until the sound becomes more regular.

Thoughts?

Kelly. :-).
The noise could be the guibo being worn and allowing the drive shaft to vibrate.
I would not recommend changing back to petroleum based oil once you have synthetic unless you change the seals. The reaction of the seals to the different oils may allow them to leak.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Bob in Everett
The noise could be the guibo being worn and allowing the drive shaft to vibrate.
I would not recommend changing back to petroleum based oil once you have synthetic unless you change the seals. The reaction of the seals to the different oils may allow them to leak.

Hi Bob,

Good point. I'll ask the mechs to check the guibo. I had it replaced about five yrs ago when the real main seal was replaced. Honestly, the only reason that I know the guibo's function and location is because I have you all to help me. :-)

Thanks, Kelly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login