Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windshield compatiblilty?

Posted by Bob in Lake Havasu 
August 04, 2012 01:36PM
Would there be any problem with putting a windshield from a sedan into a convertible? The realoem has different part numbers for them but they sure look a lot alike. Have not taken out the cracked one from the vert to make a better comparison because I am concerned the "new" one might not fit. There are no part numbers on the glass itself on either one.

Bob in Lake Havasu
August 04, 2012 01:54PM
Bob,

There are several structural differences between the cabrios and the sedans. I'm guessing the windshield is one of them. Since there is no roof structure to aid in body rigidity; it has to be made up in the windshield and trunk areas.

Thus the different part numbers.

I don't think I would risk using one with the wrong s/n.
August 05, 2012 12:22AM
I don't believe the windshield is adding structural strength in the E30, due to the way it is installed (as in any car of that age).

The convertible windshield has the rear view mirror attachment glued on, hence the different part numbers.
August 05, 2012 07:56AM
I noticed on RealOem.com that there is also a huge difference in price. If it is only the mirror attachment, there is a glue for it at the parts store. I am concerned that the structure differences due to the windhield frame being called rollover protection in a sales brochure might make the window a slightly different size.

Bob in Lake Havasu
August 05, 2012 11:34AM
Don't shoot me if it turns out different, but I checked a couple of English/US and German sites and they all told the only difference is that bit of glue holding the mirror. Only that BMW uses black glue and the one you can buy anywhere will be opaque or white.

There's a great deal of marketing in price setting. The owner was willing to pay more for a convertible over a sedan, he'll be willing to pay more for the same windscreen.
Why pay more for a sport suspension as in parts it costs about the same as a standard suspension (for the manufacturer). OK, it brings extra complexity in production, but apart from that it should cost about the same.
August 05, 2012 06:05PM
Thanks for the info. It is encouraging. Do you have some references or links I could follow online? I was not able to find anything but RealOem.

Thanks,

Bob in Lake Havasu
August 06, 2012 12:34PM
English googling

German googling

I tried some of the above. If you can afford getting your broken screen out to compare it with the sedan one (and risking having to wait until you can get a convertible one), I'd take it out and go from there.
August 06, 2012 06:50PM
Fantastick, mein neue windshield tool will arrive das morgen.

Bob in Lake Havasu
August 11, 2012 09:28PM
The sedan windshield is a neat fit into the cabrio. I discovered a couple of things though. The after market windshield I had installed a few short years ago is smaller than the BMW item. There was a bead of black glue / silicon around the outside edge of most of the window that came out. It appeared to be filler to keep the glass centered. I had to clean some of it out of the gasket before putting the new window in. While they were both out, I compared them. one against the other. The after market version was almost the same height but was about 3/8 inch less wide. I decided to go for the install and the new one slipped in easily (with a little Armour All on the gasket).

One problem was that the metal bracket glued to the windshield would not let the mirror loose so it must have some glue between the two parts from the previous install. While trying to rotate the mirror off the bracket, it broke loose from the glass instead. This made the install on the new glass a bit of a problem. I had to hold it in place while the glue hardened and hope it is still in place in the morning.

I bought the tool to put the lock strip back into the gasket. It did not work very well for some reason. As I worked it around the window the lock strip seemed to get about half an inch shorter than it was when I took it off. Had trouble getting the cover for the joint to cover the gap. It was about twice as big a gap as when I took it off. Wound up using a screw driver for about half the length of the lock strip and tried to stretch it a bit so I could get the lock strip gap smaller so the cover would be sufficient.

Great to be rid of the wandering crack from the middle of the window.

Bob in Lake Havasu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 09:29PM by Bob in Everett.
August 13, 2012 04:25AM
Bob in Everett
The sedan windshield is a neat fit into the cabrio. I discovered a couple of things though. The after market windshield I had installed a few short years ago is smaller than the BMW item. There was a bead of black glue / silicon around the outside edge of most of the window that came out. It appeared to be filler to keep the glass centered. I had to clean some of it out of the gasket before putting the new window in. While they were both out, I compared them. one against the other. The after market version was almost the same height but was about 3/8 inch less wide. I decided to go for the install and the new one slipped in easily (with a little Armour All on the gasket).

One problem was that the metal bracket glued to the windshield would not let the mirror loose so it must have some glue between the two parts from the previous install. While trying to rotate the mirror off the bracket, it broke loose from the glass instead. This made the install on the new glass a bit of a problem. I had to hold it in place while the glue hardened and hope it is still in place in the morning.

I bought the tool to put the lock strip back into the gasket. It did not work very well for some reason. As I worked it around the window the lock strip seemed to get about half an inch shorter than it was when I took it off. Had trouble getting the cover for the joint to cover the gap. It was about twice as big a gap as when I took it off. Wound up using a screw driver for about half the length of the lock strip and tried to stretch it a bit so I could get the lock strip gap smaller so the cover would be sufficient.

Great to be rid of the wandering crack from the middle of the window.

Great nes! Have you bought a new rubber seal as well?
I had the windshield of tne BX done by a shop, under the insurance... tongue sticking out smiley I couldn't possible do it myself, as it is glued to the frame.
August 13, 2012 11:29AM
Glued? Wow, the BX truly is a modern car!
August 13, 2012 08:43PM
Jose,
I used the old seal as it was in good condition. I did have to clean all the silicon sealant out of the groove the windshield slips into. Good thing as it was a tight fit.

If I had put it in a shop to change it, probably would have cost $100 bucks. But then my fingers would not be sore.

Bob in Lake Havasu
August 14, 2012 03:26AM
Michiel 318iS
Glued? Wow, the BX truly is a modern car!
"ahead of it's time"
It was a new development using all new technology of the time, and shared a lot with the cousin Peugeot 405.
Problem was several rust points of the windshield frame surfaced, and a costly body repair is needed to prevent further damage.
:hitwithrock:
The E30 was a much more conservative and a bit older design, and I like it that way! :clap:
August 14, 2012 03:32AM
Bob in Everett
Jose,
I used the old seal as it was in good condition. I did have to clean all the silicon sealant out of the groove the windshield slips into. Good thing as it was a tight fit.

If I had put it in a shop to change it, probably would have cost $100 bucks. But then my fingers would not be sore.

I did it because I had the insurance covering broken windows, otherwise it would be the end of the road for the BX as a new windshield would be more expensive than a complete running BX...
Just had to sign a paper, and got the car cleaned on the inside! :cool2: Sometimes is good to have insurance.
To clear the mandatory technical inspection there must not be any cracks or damage bigger than a coin on the windshield.
August 14, 2012 01:28PM
Spending money when you can do it yourself? Makes your fingers stink! Good you avoided that!
August 14, 2012 01:29PM
Hmmm, good windshield replacing lobby in Portugal! Over here it should not be in direct sight and not touch edges in two locations.
August 20, 2012 05:41PM
Michiel 318iS
Hmmm, good windshield replacing lobby in Portugal! Over here it should not be in direct sight and not touch edges in two locations.

It should be about the same over her. The old window had a crack from the bottom to the left side, about 30cm long, straight ahead of the driver's seat.
I have seen worse, but that one was doomed.
My new insurance (cheaper) has a price on each window change, 50€, to avoid insurance fraud (or so they say).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login