Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting Head

Posted by Dan 
Dan
July 12, 2012 09:07PM
hi / iv'e owned the e30 325e 1987 mod for 12 years and i'm wonting to change the cam to suite the 5500 rpm that i now have thanks to being re,chipped. i'm told the 325i head with it's standard cam is a direct swap.....and works well...when chipped ,However i have a 323 engine and gearbox under the house and i'm wondering can i get a similar result useing the 323 head. The engine is a 1984 -323 and i prosume it is a leaded engine,so my next question would be are the 1994-- 323's using stainles steal valves ...Thanks to a broken timing belt six years ago my 325e head has had minor work it uses 325i valves and had a few thou shaved from it's underbelly.it made a big improvment however the cam is still the 4 bearing original 325e...I had this setup dyno'ed 6 years ago and it made 126 HP at the back wheels in fourth gear at 4500 rpm and a speed of 206 k's.ph we stopped at that because the car was not strapped to the floor the dyno belonged to a friend at the time and we were just mucking about..He was trying to prove to me that the car would only make around 95 hp at the wheels he was shocked.... CAN SOMEONE ADVISE ON THIS MATTER GETTING HEAD.
July 13, 2012 08:34PM
Most of the options you've mentioned would likely work but at the age of these cars; you could simply find a nice M20B25 or even better; an M50 to swap in. A little more work but no guessing about what you'll be getting at the rear wheels. The cost of a complete swap is likely to be a wash with doing a head swap and all that that entails to get the extra power.

We're not about ridiculous power here...only what makes sense and is actually doable smiling smiley
Dan
July 16, 2012 08:17PM
thanks dude. But my question still remains,will the 323 head be a better option than the 325i,, fitted to the 325e...The super fuelled 323's of the early to mid eighties have much bigger valves installed,compaired to unleaded 318i's 323i's and 325i's e30 unleaded models sold from 1986 on,and I'm betting they had a much higher compression due to the high fuel octane that we had in the pre mid eighties..it's taken 27 years and still our fuel is not as good at burning and lubing as it was in pre 1985.However they are now close so we can now use higher compressions bigger valves and so on...The 1984 323 seems to me to be the better option but I'm not shore i thought maybe someone had been down this rather cheap modification road....I am awear that the 1984 ,,323 will have a higher top piston compaired to the 325e ..and i presume the 325e and the 323 pistons are of the same diameter so they can interchange as well .along with inlet and throttle body fuel rail and injectors if needed...However my guess would be that the bigger valves from the 323 are not stainless as they need to be when running unleaded . so those i would purchase new...PS ...if you could tell me wear i could find 323 engine blueprints from the Internet it would be a big help..thanks again ..............1960Dan.can u advise
July 17, 2012 07:16AM
I've never seen blueprints for any BMW engine; sorry.
July 17, 2012 09:11AM
This sure seems like uncharted territory for us here on this website. Perhaps a Tuner BMW performance site would serve his needs better? Simply put, E30's aren't Mustangs or Camaros.

alan
July 17, 2012 01:29PM
Google m20b23 head on m20b27 or similar, there's plenty of that stuff out there.
Dan
July 21, 2012 01:46AM
Thanks mate for your help , you have directed me to a lot of people with lots of knowledge you are a big help // The other dudes don't seem to no much at all about BMW's,I'm in Australia and i did hear of a fellow in your part of the world called 'turner motor sport',the other guy's that responded to my question should look at what he did in the late eighties with the E30 BMW 325 ....WATKINS GLENN 24HOUR I THINK IT WAS CALLED...Go the little old E30...my little BMW 1987 Model has taken me from alice springs to Darwin 1500km average speed was 150km ph some trucks do 160 km ph on this road with as many as five trailers being towed behind them and tempretures being 100 plus all day. speed limits are open ,no speed limit. 87 mustang 0r corvet proberbly would not make it lol...however ozzy holdens and fords do it daily
August 01, 2012 01:05AM
325i head flows the better than 323i, but will have low compression if you bolt it to a 2.7 block (without any other mods)
both engines are fine for unleaded
apparently a 323i with 2.7L block won't rev unless you put in 325i electonics
325i heads are very expensive in Australia
America didn't get the 323i, so there's not much info online about this engine
August 19, 2012 09:05PM
Archeo-peteriX

wish I could find some!

Also, 1up for the title of this thread, lolol. Cheers sirs. smileys with beer
August 20, 2012 05:34PM
bam_loves_his_bmw_325i
Archeo-peteriX

wish I could find some!

Also, 1up for the title of this thread, lolol. Cheers sirs. smileys with beer
hot smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login