Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Differential Stuff

Posted by Milo 
March 08, 2012 05:38PM
My Diff tab says S2.93, which means bog-standard '87 325 spec right? How do I tell if it's LSD or Open?

Matt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e
rkj
March 08, 2012 06:00PM
Milo
My Diff tab says S2.93, which means bog-standard '87 325 spec right? How do I tell if it's LSD or Open?

Matt

That's easy Matt, lift both rear wheels off the ground. Spin one side, if the other goes the same way you have an lsd, if it goes the other way or stands still it's open. Good luck
March 08, 2012 06:04PM
Thanks RJK! IIRC it spins reverse.

My car motors through the snow nicely, the rear wheels seem to keep churning not favoring one wheel over the other so I thought I had LSD. Are Open Diffs "smart" as well?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

March 08, 2012 06:30PM
Milo

Matt

Milo,
The 'S' indicates you have an LSD smileys with beer
rkj
March 09, 2012 09:32PM
Milo
Thanks RJK! IIRC it spins reverse.

My car motors through the snow nicely, the rear wheels seem to keep churning not favoring one wheel over the other so I thought I had LSD. Are Open Diffs "smart" as well?

Are lsd's smart? no, but when the clutches are toast it does revert back to an open rear, and they make more noise than usual. One give away you have the wrong oil is when you're going around a corner, the rear will make all kinds of clunking (the clutches are chattering). I use GM posi additive along with lsd oil. Unfortunately, the gm additive is synthetic these days not the real stuff (whale oil stuff?) that comes from some sea creature...

Cheers, Rick
March 20, 2012 06:23AM
Sorry for being AWOL, had to fly to Texas for a few days to be with my mom (health issues)

Thanks for the information guys, an LSD is cool. If I had enough power to drift on anything but snow it would be even better.

Matt in Everett, WA

March 22, 2012 10:20AM
There are two ways to get drift, more power or less friction (snow, dirt, etc).
The later is cheaper, same fun, and safer.
:boohoo:
March 23, 2012 07:16PM
I got a lesson in the low power drifting this week at a go-cart track that had a slick track and carts with hard tires just for that purpose. The low powered carts would spin and slide easily and were a lot of fun to drive.

Bob in Lake Havasu
March 24, 2012 04:48AM
There's no differential, that makes them easier to slide. Last year I took part in a cart race on slicks, in the rain. Very hard to keep the cart on the track but oh so much fun, even though the setting sun was obstructing sight.
March 24, 2012 10:47PM
Some of the carts would turn really well but one would not turn at all. Had to stomp the brake to get it to slide. It must have had sticky tires on the rear of that one. The lack of differential would sure make them slide. Had not thought of that.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login