Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Changing it up, AGAIN. (or WHYWONTMYDOORSCLOSE?)

I hate how irregularly I post here, gotta remember to do it more often.

But of course, I have another strange problem.

My friend's IX met its end last month vs a tree, unfortunately she wasn't going to negotiate that corner sideways as well as he had hoped.
We're hoping to get it running again in the spring but it'll be a chore.

NOW TO THE POINT;

I've recently acquired an '86 325E 4 door that I quite like, however she's as quirky as any of the previous five and this latest gremlin has me scratching my head.

NONE OF THE DOORS WILL STAY SHUT.

What? WHAT?

I went out last night to go pick up a pizza and found my door to be stuck shut with ice.
Naturally, I opened the back door and gave the front one a couple taps to free it up.

She popped open and I hopped inside to start it but the door would not latch.
I checked the rear one I had opened and realized it had not latched either.

Out of curiosity, I checked the remaining two and found the same problem.

WTF?
I've heard of doors not opening or staying locked, but all four not closing all of a sudden?

I WD40ed the latches, warmed the car up, tried locking and unlocking from the trunk, nothing works.

And I obviously can't drive in this 12 degree weather with all my doors flying open.

Any ideas?
That is strange...especially since the latches are purely mechanical. The electronics don't affect anything but the locking mechanism...hmmmm; could it be that kicking the front door open has activated the double lock and all the latches are actually closed and locked?

Check to see if the latches are indeed closed.
There is probably some ice on the mechanism inside the door from condensation. A spray can of windshield deicer on all the mechanism you can reach might help. Will probably start working once the car is parked in some sunshine for a few minutes.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Bob in Everett
There is probably some ice on the mechanism inside the door from condensation. A spray can of windshield deicer on all the mechanism you can reach might help. Will probably start working once the car is parked in some sunshine for a few minutes.
This is my guess too. I've had this happen to my E30, as well as to other cars, in very cold weather. Never to all four doors, though! Warmth always freed it up.

Time to borrow a painting boot, to leave the car inside there overnight...
Perhaps it's all normal after warming to normal temperature, either way it can't hurt.

Good luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login