Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Today's projects

Posted by Milo 
December 17, 2011 04:27PM
I bought another 6 button OBC to replace my lava-lamp looking thing that beeps at me every hour, a lot easier to put in than I thought it would be through the glove box and aftermarket stereo hole. While I was in there I pulled the cover off the DME to see if I had the stock chip (I do). The OBC is stuck on -22f so something is disconnected or missing, otherwise it's a good fix for $25.

Installed a new used seat belt anchor on the drivers seat, the wiring was bad so I spliced the two together to stifle the seat belt nanny :whistle:

My old JVC removable face cassette relic is junk, being the wise guy that I am I found a newer (but still old) never-opened JVC on Craigslist with CD/iPod/Bluetooth/HD radio for cheap. Same plug so it *should* bolt right in...should. The old stereo was wired through the factory fader, only two output channels split into four speakers. Off to the store for some bulk speaker wire to rectify the situation, after dinner.

Found that I had installed Autolite 66 copper plugs in the early throes of ownership, apparently they're bad and Bosch WR9LS are the thing.

Living :wall: Learning :wall:

This thing is easy to work on, normally I hate interior work but the panels are pretty straightforward and access is good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2011 04:28PM by Milo.
sdp
December 17, 2011 07:27PM
I do believe the temperature reading will show -22F if the wiring from the temperature sensor is disconnected. The temperature sensor is on the air duct (for brake cooling) below the front bumper. (left side I think)
December 17, 2011 07:31PM
Matt,
Did the engine temp sensor fix the power surges?

Bob in Lake Havasu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2011 07:31PM by Bob in Everett.
December 17, 2011 07:54PM
Bob in Everett
Matt,
Did the engine temp sensor fix the power surges?

On order, hopefully here on Monday.

Thinking of new plug wires as well because they're probably original, is there a recommended set to buy? I can spend $40 or $140 on new wires...there's got to be a point of diminishing returns.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

December 17, 2011 07:55PM
I do believe the temperature reading will show -22F if the wiring from the temperature sensor is disconnected. The temperature sensor is on the air duct (for brake cooling) below the front bumper. (left side I think)

I'll go look, thanks!

Matt in Everett, WA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2011 07:55PM by Milo.
December 17, 2011 08:52PM
I would guess the ignition wires are not the issue. Might check the distributor cap and rotor. What I do is when I have them off for the timing belt changes, I wash them with hot water and dish washing detergent to get the ionized metal "smoke" off the inside and any other debris. This removes any current paths that could allow a short to ground. dry them well with a cotton cloth to be sure there is no oil film on the inside. The ignition wires seem to be solid copper core so not the same failure mode as the high resistance carbon core type. Might check the resistance on a couple of your to see what you have. As long as the insulation is good and not allowing sparks on the outside of the wire should be ok. Might try looking under the hood with the engine running to see if there is any corona or ground paths on the wires or on the plug boots.

I have an extra new set still in the package for my 325iS if you are interested. I got them from Bavauto a while back and now they want $180 for them. I would let them go for $140.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login