Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

on board computer very dim

Posted by Art Munson 
September 30, 2011 09:56PM
The on board computer works great but the display is very dim. I also have no lights on the right side of the heater controls. I will look at this soon but it is always nice to get some directions from you experts. 1989 325IC.

Thanks,
Art
September 30, 2011 10:35PM
If it is when the lights are on then you need to replace the 2 bulbs in the OBC.

Check here:

[www.s14.net]

and here:

[www.pelicanparts.com]

alan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2011 10:38PM by alanrw.
October 01, 2011 07:56AM
Awesome! I love this site! I can be lazy and just ask you guys stuff and you tell me right where to go! How cool is that!

Thanks Alan!
Art
October 01, 2011 11:00AM
Art Munson
Awesome! I love this site! I can be lazy and just ask you guys stuff and you tell me right where to go! How cool is that!

Thanks Alan!
Art

Yeah. We're like Google but with snarkier replies and a touch more sass.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
October 01, 2011 04:04PM
Well, not quite for free, there is the beer tariff.

:mmbeer:

alan
October 03, 2011 06:02PM
I replaced my bulbs with LEDs which is cheap and fairly easy to do. I asked about it on this forum and the thread is here:
[bmwe30network.net]

I hope that takes you directly to the thread, but if it doesn't, go look on page 5. The subject has LED OBC Backlight in it.

I couldn't find it with a search for some reason.

John
October 04, 2011 08:50PM
I also did the LED replacement. It is really no more difficult than replacing the bulbs; it just requires soldering in two more components smileys with beer
October 05, 2011 07:37AM
Thanks for the responses. I will put that on my list of things to do. Wow! That list is getting llllllooooonnnnnnnggggg!!!!

Art
October 05, 2011 07:46PM
Art,

Some of the most enjoyable times of owning an E30 are tracking down and fixing these little foibles.

I did it for 10 years and would still be doing it if financial responsibilities hadn't forced me to sell my iX sad smiley

Enjoy every moment you have with yours; it will reward you 10 fold smileys with beer
October 09, 2011 10:14PM
While you are taking the computer out dont forget to replace the bulbs in the heater controls and other areas that are dark. I didn't and it is enough trouble to go back in there that I suffer with the dark control. Also the light for all the buttons on the computer.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login