Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Checking in again

September 03, 2011 04:01PM
Hey guys, long time no post.

Unfortunately my beloved 325is had an unfortunate rallying adventure with a tree, and so she's just sitting while I complete the paperwork to go off to basic.

My best friend (who is planning to buy her for parts) has recently picked up an 88 325ix with 160k.

It was a steal of a deal and I personally oversaw the transaction but she needs a bit of help.

Among other things, our number 1 issue is the front right half shaft, which we are beginning to think will need replacement.

Is there a write up for this? And also, does anyone know any tips/tricks to do it?
And lastly, does anyone know WHERE we can find a replacement that won't gouge the bank?

Bavauto has them listed new for around $1000 and this just won't fly, I can imagine half of you clutching your chest in horror at the prospect but I've yet to find a suitable alternative.

My bentley doesn't include the IX so I have no a clue where to start.

I'm curious if there's an identical replacement from another make and/or brand that will do the trick?

Your loyal servant,

-BAM
September 04, 2011 08:15PM
Like most of the front drivetrain on the iX, the front halfshafts/axles are iX specific, so there really isn't any other substitute. You'll save a lot of money looking for a used one. There are a few places to look:

1. The messages section of the BMW 325iX Club. Join up and post a message. Someone actually just posted a message looking for a front axle last week, and another reader replied that he had two of them. So those may be spoken for, but there may be others, or maybe the first buyer will back out and you'll have a shot at one.

2. http://www.car-part.com/. This has been an invaluable resource for me over the years. Everyone with an old car should have this site within reach at all times! I see front axles listed there from $50-$150.

3. The Euro Depot -- old BMW recyclers in New Hampshire, with lots of old BMW parts. They don't have as many E30s as they used to, but they're still one of the first places I call, since they're close to me, with fast shipping, and have been good to me over the years. According to car-part.com, they have new remanufactured axles for $450, but they may have used ones too.

Good luck!

September 04, 2011 08:20PM
Oh yeah, and for how-to instructions, check the BMW325iX Club archives, but also check the 325iX section of E30tech.com. I found some good info there when I replaced my front CV joints. Check the first sticky in that forum, which gives a pretty thorough description of the entire process, with pictures.

Click here to login