Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

After 2+ years in the garage...It's alive again!!!!

Posted by Art Munson 
Wow! I am excited! I bought this car in 3/09??? P.O. never did the timing belt,so you know what happened. I have had many interruptions but did just get it running again yesterday! It is an 89 325ic, black on black w/only 116k, it is an automatic and I really wanted a manual so I bought all the stuff to convert it....we'll see if that ever happens.

Anyway....I do have a technical question. On the bottom of the thermostat housing is a small elbow piece that is simply pressed into the housing(bad idea). The piece is loose so what to do? I will check to see if the piece is still available from the dealer today, but I figured you guys have had this problem in the past and would know what to do.

Thanks,
Art

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 08:38AM by Art Munson.
rkj
Art Munson
Wow! I am excited! I bought this car in 3/09??? P.O. never did the timing belt,so you know what happened. I have had many interruptions but did just get it running again yesterday! It is an 89 325ic, black on black w/only 116k, it is an automatic and I really wanted a manual so I bought all the stuff to convert it....we'll see if that ever happens.

Anyway....I do have a technical question. On the bottom of the thermostat housing is a small elbow piece that is simply pressed into the housing(bad idea). The piece is loose so what to do? I will check to see if the piece is still available from the dealer today, but I figured you guys have had this problem in the past and would know what to do.

Thanks,
Art

Hi Art

Nice to hear the cabrio is back in action thumbs up I have the same motor and I don't recall the piece you're describing but will look at mine later in the day.

Rick
Hi Art...congrats on bringing that worthy beast back to life. I wouldn't worry about the auto box for a while yet; just enjoy the car the way it is smiling smiley

I seem to remember a couple of folks complaining that that do-hicky on the thermostat housing came loose and leaked. One solution was to use JB-Weld and the other was a donor part from the wreckers. Either way, not a wallet buster winking smiley
Thanks guys. I did put some silicone on it and tightly wrapped 3 strands of safety wire around the housing and elbow. I think it will work for a while but will want to get a new one soon.
Thanks,
Art
rkj
Pictures, you know we always like pictures. Especially Peter; he's thirtyless these days sad smiley
Oh man; don't you know it!

I see every E30 on the road these days; and some of them are around corners and behind buildings winking smiley
Can someone tell me how to post pics?
Ok. seems very easy. I am going to post a pic or two,of the car when I bought it in 09,to see if it works. I will take a couple new pics tomorrow and post them too. I don't have any pics of the elbow but it is on the bottom of the thermo housing and the hose runs up to the throttle body.
Attachments:
open | download - BMW 325 3-09 (6).JPG (386.2 KB)
That looks like a nice one. You should have a lot of fun driving that with the top down smiling smiley

This is a parts data sheet pic of the 'elbow'...

Several of us here have had the pleasure of dealing with this spigot :wall:
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
That looks like a nice one. You should have a lot of fun driving that with the top down smiling smiley

This is a parts data sheet pic of the 'elbow'...

Several of us here have had the pleasure of dealing with this spigot :wall:

That Does look good smileys with beer
August 01, 2011 10:30PM
I bought one just like that 7 years ago and have loved every minute I have driven it. 90,000 of its 209,000 miles are mine.

Just got one of the wind screens to use with the top down. Really makes speeds above 45 mph much more enjoyable.

Bob in Lake Havasu
August 02, 2011 09:44PM
Thanks for your responses. I have not yet called the dealership to see if this part is available and it does not look like the part that has been circled is the elbow. I have a feeling the dealership will not be able to get a new one so I will have to do a better job "mickey mouse"ing it.

I also have a question about a small part I cant figure out where it went, it is a small black bracket with 3 holes(I will take a picture tomorrow) kinda like a "T", I thought it bolted to the oil dipstick but I cant figure out how it mounts. Help?

Here is a picture of my car out of the driveway on its own!

Thanks
rkj
August 05, 2011 08:43AM
Art Munson
Thanks for your responses. I have not yet called the dealership to see if this part is available and it does not look like the part that has been circled is the elbow. I have a feeling the dealership will not be able to get a new one so I will have to do a better job "mickey mouse"ing it.

I also have a question about a small part I cant figure out where it went, it is a small black bracket with 3 holes(I will take a picture tomorrow) kinda like a "T", I thought it bolted to the oil dipstick but I cant figure out how it mounts. Help?

Here is a picture of my car out of the driveway on its own!

Thanks

Hi Art, I wouldn't be so eager to mickey mouse anything in the cooling system, the motor is so partial to head problems and all. If your dealer can't get the housing just ring up 1 800 535 2002 and get it at bav.

That bracket picture didn't come through for me. Do you use photobucket?, it works for me.

Rick
August 06, 2011 12:12AM
Thank you for your thoughts. I was thinking the same thing. I don't like to do things unless they are done right anyway. I do feel ok about it for now though, I sealed it up pretty good with the good black silicone and wrapped it tight with 3 separate strands of safety wire so it can't completely "pop-out" only start to leak. I have been watching it closely and so far not a single drip. I have about 250 miles on it so far...I love this car.
I will start a new thread tomorrow about the rear window...cracked plastic,what to do besides new top??????
btw-no photo bucket yet,soon.
rkj
August 07, 2011 03:45PM
Art Munson
Thank you for your thoughts. I was thinking the same thing. I don't like to do things unless they are done right anyway. I do feel ok about it for now though, I sealed it up pretty good with the good black silicone and wrapped it tight with 3 separate strands of safety wire so it can't completely "pop-out" only start to leak. I have been watching it closely and so far not a single drip. I have about 250 miles on it so far...I love this car.
I will start a new thread tomorrow about the rear window...cracked plastic,what to do besides new top??????
btw-no photo bucket yet,soon.

That sounds good Art, that should stay put for the time being. On my 323 Baur I took the top off the frame and stitched a new window in. It was a big job though and when it was all done I still had an older top (with a nice clear rear window) confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login