Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Remote starter question...

Posted by Andrew 
January 09, 2009 11:49AM
So I just had a remote started installed in my 95 325iS, the mechanic said he would never install another remote starter in a BMW ever again lol!!! Anyways, everything is fine except for this. The mechanic told me that he couldn't located the e-brake wire, which I think is silly, I mean its got to be there somewhere right? Usually this would be connected to the remote starter so that it will only be activated if the e-brake is up, so instead he installed a toggle switch on my dash :mad:. So the way it works for a standard transmission is this, its quite elaborate haha... First you take your key out while the car is running (ya I can do that now lol) then you flip the toggle switch (after your car has been put into neutral and the e-brake is up of course, but this actually doesn't make a difference to the remote starter like it should) get out of the car, and then i push the lock button my remote, when this is done the doors are locked, and the car shuts off, and then i can start it again later. You might think that i could just leave the toggle switch on and not have to worry about it, but it actually NEEDS to be turned off then on again for it to activate the remote starter, so it really makes a lot more sense to have this connected properly.

Now I want to fix this sometime (probably when it warms up) and remove the toggle switch and have it connected to the e-brake wire like it should be. Now I was thinking how hard can it be, it must go directly to the e-brake light in the gauge cluster right? I'm not sure how I would go about hooking it up to that wire though, I think it would have to be at the e-brake switch, otherwise it would still complete the circuit with the e-brake down right? Maybe this depends on the kind of light bulb that is in the dash, i know that l.e.d. bulbs don't actually make contact within the bulb, (correct?) where as regular bulbs are always connected with the coil that lights up?
January 09, 2009 08:20PM
The e brake light works by the grounding of the circuit at the ebrake handle. Pull off the plastic cover and the boot on the ebrake and you should see it there, it is really kinda anti-climatic.

alan
January 09, 2009 09:06PM
The only problem is that you need to know if that wire needs to be grounded or needs 12v. I would guess that it gets grounded since most car companies ground the light to make it come on, but just in case, make sure before you just connect it. If you need 12v you will either have to locate the 12v wire going to the bulb or put a relay in place to connect it properly.
January 10, 2009 11:10AM
Cool, thanks for the info, but ya that's exactly what I was thinking, does it need 12v or need to be grounded? I'll try to find out. The unfortunate thing about all of this is I'll have a hole in my dash, at least its in a discrete spot.
January 10, 2009 01:53PM
Andrew
Cool, thanks for the info, but ya that's exactly what I was thinking, does it need 12v or need to be grounded? I'll try to find out. The unfortunate thing about all of this is I'll have a hole in my dash, at least its in a discrete spot.

The parking brake switch is grounded to activate/deactivate the light on the cluster.
January 10, 2009 07:15PM
Andrew, the easy way to answer that for yourself is to read either the installation manual or look at what the other side of that switch is connected to. If the installer connected it to ground you will be find just connecting it to the switch near the brake handle itself.
January 12, 2009 01:54AM
Thanks, as soon as I get my car back, (It needed an alignment and apparently it needs a new bushing for the rear right wheel, and they won't get the part until Tuesday) I'll see if I can't take off the boot and check it out for myself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login